I now see how the Democrats are going to lose the election in 2020.

farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 07:09 pm
@Lash,
whats not to like, hes an honest smart , somewhat gifted, guy. and hes made a good show in Colo. Hes kinda right centrist but stands for the core of the Dem Faith.
Lash

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2018 07:28 pm
@farmerman,
The Dem faith has aligned with the Republican faith over the past thirty years. The Dems take money from the same people the Rs take it from — to keep healthcare and medication unaffordable for regular people. People are dying because of that faith.

So, is Hickenlooper going to make changes to our unaffordable healthcare system? Will he do something to stop the prison for profit industry? What’s his commitment to reducing our endless wars and disgusting alliance with Saudi Arabia? Is it because these things aren’t hurting you or anyone you love that you don’t care about these things?

What’s he going to do about children becoming brain damaged by leaded water in Flint? What’s he planning to do for Americans?

If he doesn’t have plans to lift regular Americans out of the hell Republicans and centrists have created for them, supporting him consigns them to misery and death.

Please think about these people, climate change, and turning away from this sick downward spiral.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2018 04:21 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
So, I still don't understand what your beef with Kirsten Gillibrand is. What specific things has she said or done that you think will scare away white, working-class men?

Kirsten Gillibrand is the face of identity politics. I am trying to look for specific quotes... her quotes are almost all carefully crafted to say the right thing. The issue is that all of her quotes are identity politics. They don't call for unity, they don't deal with issues that affect all Americans.

Obama worked very hard to be an American president. He did not run as a Black president, or as the civil rights president. His stump speech dealt with unity and "we are all in this together. He ran on range of issues; health care, military policy. And, he reached across the aisle and he reach across racial and class lines.

Hillary ran to be a Woman president. Her slogan was "I am with Her". She constantly talked about the "glass ceiling". Her supporters talked about what a "qualified woman" she was.

Obama was inclusive, he campaigned for all Americans. Hillary was running against Americans she called "deplorables".

For the record, Obama served two terms in the White House, Hillary served zero.

Gillibrand has great quotes. She has built a carefully crafted image as a woman candidate who will represent women (although Republican woman probably don't feel she represents them). And that is the problem.

Democrats need another Obama, someone who can rise above identity politics and reach across lines to win over voters in the middle. Gillibrand is busy drawing lines liberals love it... but it will be another electoral disaster.
Lash

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2018 04:34 pm
@maxdancona,
Your perception of Gillibrand isn’t universal. Honestly or falsely, she’s glommed on first and most to a number of progressive planks.

I just don’t know if I trust her yet.

I think Max might not like her because she also spoke up first against Al Franken.

So, for me, I’m watching her, but in no way persuaded at present.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2018 06:01 pm
Why can’t all these first-woman-President candidates just stop talking about how they are also women‽

Seriously guys‽

What’s next? We have to hear about they are also mothers‽ Then what, how they may have a period and start a global war because they are PMS’ing‽

Stop having a personal identity; no one cares!!!!
maxdancona

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2018 06:05 pm
@maporsche,
What if the the first woman President is Carly Fiorina. Would you be happy?

Would you even vote for her against a male Democrat?

maporsche

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2018 06:08 pm
@maxdancona,
I’d be very happy that the barrier had been broken, yes.

If she ran as a democrat, I’d vote for her.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2018 06:17 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I’d be very happy that the barrier had been broken, yes.

If she ran as a democrat, I’d vote for her.

As I suspected, ideology is more important than gender.

Carly Fiorina is a Republican. She is pro-life, pro-gun, and pro-business. And she is a woman. I doubt very much you would vote for her (nor should you, voting for someone based on their gender is foolish.)
maporsche

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2018 06:33 pm
@maxdancona,
I suspect that this is true for everyone Max (ideology over identity).

You give me a democratic woman candidate in 2020 vs a male democratic candidate and I’ll likely Give some extra credence to the woman all else being equal (or close to equal).
maxdancona

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2018 06:45 pm
@maporsche,
I probably would give extra "credence" to a female candidate too (all other things being equal). Hillary was a horrible candidate (in my opinion). Gillibrand is like Hillary.

Whoever runs, no matter what their gender or race, has to be willing to represent the country. Obama ran this way. Hillary didn't.

For the record, I respect Elizabeth Warren (much more than Hillary). I don't want her to run though, she makes a great Senator because she takes intelligent stands for issues with integrity. I don't think she can cross lines the way that Obama did.
0 Replies