She's an online video game addict and I hate it.

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2018 02:21 am
For five months now, my girlfriend and I have been living together. We divided our tasks and bills so we can be able to survive without asking help from our parents. We’re old enough to stand on our own and we tried to stand on our decisions. On the first two months, we were able to make it. When my girlfriend started working at a BPO company, she became too fond of online gaming. She stopped doing domestic chores already and preferred to lock herself up in our room while playing. I have noticed that my girlfriend was only doing online games for almost a day and I hate it. She seldom talked to me and won’t even care if I go clubbing with a foreign workmate. What made me so mad was that she forgot she’s working. What should I do with her? How can I make her stop that?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,229 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2018 06:49 am
@freakingout32,
Make it clear that if she loses her job due to her addiction, you won't be keeping her as a free roommate and she'll have to move out. And mean it.

I don't love ultimatums but sometimes they are necessary. Her nonsense is threatening not just her job (and potentially her health, as video game addicts don't often exercise or eat terribly well), but also your financial independence and probably your credit score, etc. All of which will affect you for a while -- and you're not even the addict.

And tell her, also, that you are willing to help her find a means to break her behaviors. This can mean going to a doctor or the like. You do care for her so I'm sure you would rather not end it. So bring out both the stick and the carrot.

But if she won't at least try to break herself of the addiction (expect setbacks -- they are normal, I understand), then you'll know what's #1 in her life, and it wouldn't be you.

Note: I am not a doctor.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2018 07:21 am
This doesn't sound good. She’s a full blown addict with the playing that many hours, neglecting her BF, and affecting her work. Give the ultimatum (turn off the games completely) or end this non- relationship. You can also shut down the source of the games.

You don’t say how long this has been going on or how long you have had your apt. But if I were you, I’d find out how you are going to get her out and whether you can afford the rent by yourself.

My granddaughter put her no- good BF on her lease and when he stole her credit card and never contributed to the rent, she could not evict him since his name was on the lease. He finally had to leave when a PPO was issued against him for trashing the apt.
0 Replies