Alert! Already too much concentration of information sources

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 04:36 am
FCC Will Hear Debate On Broadening Media Ownership
February 27, 2003
By HARRY BERKOWITZ, Special To The Courant

In a debate that could overhaul decades of media policy, federal regulators will gather today in Richmond, Va., to hear arguments on whether to remove restrictions on ownership of newspapers and TV and radio stations by media giants.

The debate centers on how much the media landscape has changed in an age of the Internet and cable TV and whether the changes justify loosening or removing many of the restrictions on who owns what.

The issue is heating up at a time when the Federal Communications Commission, which is sponsoring the public hearing, has been fractured by a pair of 3-2 votes last week on a telecommunications issue that put chairman Michael Powell on the losing side.

For the media conglomerates, the possible changes in ownership rules could mean more mergers and more profits even though some of the past combinations have backfired.

One company keeping a close watch is Tribune Co., which owns both newspapers and television stations across the country - including both a newspaper and TV station in several markets, Hartford among them.

Its Connecticut holdings include The Courant and WTIC-TV, Fox News 61, both in Hartford.

For consumer advocates, the proposed changes raise red flags about cutting down on the range of diversity and local input - and about putting too much power over what news and entertainment the public sees and hears in too few hands.

"To the extent that you change the rules, you are going to have a very different media universe," said Blair Levin, a media analyst at Legg Mason in Baltimore and a former FCC chief of staff. "There is a risk that if you deregulate too much, you have essentially allowed too small a group of people to control the information flow."

Much of the focus at the FCC hearing will be not just on the testimony but on how one of the five FCC commissioners reacts to all of it. The commissioner, Kevin Martin, took the spotlight last week as the swing vote in decisions involving discount access to regional phone company lines. Martin, who like Powell is a Republican, voted with the two Democrats on the five-member panel.

"People will be paying more attention to Kevin's every word, comma, pause, wink, nod, whatever he does, than they would have a few weeks ago," Levin said. "He will inevitably sit in something of a swing-vote position, although it is more likely in this case that the difference between him and the chairman on this set of issues will be smaller."

The stakes are high for media companies such as CBS parent Viacom, NBC parent General Electric, Fox parent News Corp. and ABC parent Walt Disney Co., which have generally pushed for looser limits.

"The overwhelming weight of the evidence suggests that today's extraordinarily vast and exceptionally diverse media marketplace provides more than enough competition to ensure that the commission's policy goals will be met," Fox, NBC and Viacom said in a joint filing to the FCC.

One rule, dating to 1941, which a federal appeals court told the FCC to reconsider, limits the stations that one entity can own to 35 percent of U.S. households. Another rule limits cable TV ownership to 30 percent of the cable and satellite TV market. Other rules prohibit owning a newspaper and TV station in the same city. Others limit the number of TV and radio stations one entity can own in a single city.

Tribune is seeking to lift the newspaper-TV station cross-ownership ban - a change Powell and Martin favor - and loosen local limits while avoiding the national-cap debate.

Powell has said that although he is concerned about media concentration the current rules are outdated and he supports changing the national limits on cable and TV station ownership.

Harry Berkowitz is a Newsday reporter.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,466 • Replies: 10
No top replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 05:08 am
Alert! Already too much concentration of postings on Able 2 Know!
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 05:12 am
Hey, is that you in there, LeeHarvey?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 05:30 am
Am I to take it from your postings that you disagree with the idea that there is reason to be concerned about concentration of media ownership, Maxsdadeo?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 05:55 am
apparently We The People are easily confused by Too Much Information.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 06:12 am
I have never considered myself a media maven.
While there is certainly cause for concern regarding concentrations of ownership in the media, just as in other industries, one thing is certain.

These rules were promulgated and specifically designed for a time when a household was limited to three television channels, and there was no such thing as the internet.

Since I get the majority of the news analysis I consume from sources other than television or radio, I am not overly concerned.

Thanks for asking smokin' bunny.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 06:29 am
Hmmm - Max - but what of the many people who get their news only from television, or newspapers?

I say this because in my country (Australia) there is an extreme concentration of media ownership - with whole television, radio, and even net sites owned by the same companies- one of which is dominant - the infamous Rupert Murdoch owns this conglomerate.

Many people get their information from one of the tentacles of this monster - often, I believe, not knowing that they are all the same company.

I find this quite disturbing - and the info available there is wide but very shallow and monocular...if I may use this word in such a context.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 06:37 am
Perhaps, dlowan, however you do not seem the worse for wear from this media concentrated immersion.

One would never accuse you of being a shill for Murdoch....

So what's the buzz?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 06:49 am
The "buzz" in my eyes is that I note many, many people who know nothing other than what they get from Murdoch, and I think this is not good, if for no other reason that it may blind people to the fact that there ARE different points of view - unless differing views, in and of themselves, become part of the story - as in the case of the coming war against Iraq.

I guess there are many questions this all raises - and it is a topic hotly debated here, with many different opinions - but I tend to believe that it is better if there are several diferent mass media outlets - since SOME differences in angle are to be expected - although not, of course, guaranteed.

Whether people then USE their access even to these, generally pap-full, outlets, is a matter of research, I guess - but I tend to have a philosophical bias towards diversity of information - as do you, I think - given the number of places you seek information from.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 07:26 pm
As long as we have unfettered access to sites such as this and others, I am far less concerned.

As to those who get their news from TV, well,

I think they are unsalvageable for the most part, don't you?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 09:13 pm
They vote, they have an effect upon other people and many of them are fine people who have not had access to the kind of education that might make them doubt mass-media pap - or they are very busy and without leisure to seek out alternative news sources, or without means!!!!!!!

Unsalvageable!
0 Replies