Voting abuse fix being worked on

maxdancona

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2018 12:40 pm
@glitterbag,
I don't think these posts are hurting Robert at all (if he is even reading them). No one is complaining about Robert here, this is a discussion about the type of community we want to have on Able2Know. Robert provides a great platform, it is up to us to build the community.

I am advocating for an open community that supports diverse viewpoints and allows for disagreement and civil discussion without personal attacks. My complaint is that there are opinions that are being blacklisted... anyone expressing these opinions faces nasty personal attacks. Most of these opinions aren't even that radical. Any discussion, or any questioning of the "correct" viewpoints can't be discussed before the insults fly. Every discussion now is dominated by (mostly liberal) political slogans mixed with accusations with no attempt to understand the other side or explore the issue in any depth.

The voting abuse from bots is one issue (which Robert is fixing). The voting abuse, and the personal attacks, from within the community is something that we, as a community, have to address.

I would like to see things get better (and this doesn't mean that anyone with the "wrong" opinions gets the message and leaves). I feel that things are getting worse.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2018 12:43 pm
@maxdancona,
Or not.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2018 01:05 pm
@maxdancona,
Being VERY careful not to attack the poster of this message....

Complete horse ****. Tripe. Garbage. (The post, not the poster)

I could take any of the positions you’d likely take Max and I wouldn’t be treated the way you’re describing.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2018 02:58 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
I could take any of the positions you’d likely take Max and I wouldn’t be treated the way you’re describing.

That would be an interesting experiment. I wrote a list of what the main group here sees as "unacceptable" opinions that will get you attacked. Pick one, defend it, and let's see what happens.

We have already seen on this thread that if you have the right opinions, you can be as nasty as you want and people will still support you. Let's see what happens if you take the "wrong" opinion...
maporsche

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2018 03:02 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

That would be an interesting experiment. I wrote a list of what the main group here sees as "unacceptable" opinions that will get you attacked. Pick one and let's see what happens.

You promise not to chime in for 2 pages and I’ll do this tomorrow. I’m PM you.
Not that I can guarantee that it will reach 20 posts but I’ll try.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2018 03:12 pm
@maporsche,
Sure... I will not enter the discussion where you are defending an unpopular decision. Remember, the test is for you to advocate and defend this position (if you weasel, it won't be a fair test).

I actually have already taken the "politically correct" opinions (I have real beliefs that fit in each of the ideological bubbles), my participation is well received when I fit into the stereotypical liberal stance (although Izzy has actually argued with me in this case too... he can't see how I can support immigrant rights when he has determined I support rapists).

But if you want me to argue the other side of any of these stances, I am in. I believe that being able to understand the valid points on both sides of an issue is part of critical thinking.
Lash

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2018 04:01 pm
@maxdancona,
I’m remembering a time when this was actually done. Craven de Kere told everybody he was going to have the conservative experience on A2K, and I thought —not fair! You won’t really see what it’s like because you just announced what you were doing.

Summary: He did get a taste.
0 Replies

NSFW (view)
izzythepush

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2018 10:29 am
The voting now seems fixed. Thanks Robert.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2018 08:35 pm
@izzythepush,
The voting now seems fixed. Thanks Robert.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2018 10:25 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
Here's a thought: Why not eliminate all negative voting or down-thumbing and only have positive or up-thumbing?

I like that idea.
Ragman

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2018 12:18 pm
@Real Music,
Why not try it? Whatever the reason was for doing it differently must not be working or of much value.
Ragman

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2018 02:26 pm
@izzythepush,
Many thanks, Robert!

I think that this is close to 18 years of participation for me on this forum and the other one. My god,l! If only I dedicated my time towards writing ✍️ that great novel I’ve got hidden in my brain 🧠 cells! I could be rich as well as famous!

Nah! I’d just blow it all on hookers and a Ferrari.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2018 08:52 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
Here's a thought: Why not eliminate all negative voting or down-thumbing and only have positive or up-thumbing?

I like the idea of eliminating the option of all down-voting on the A2K website. While at the same time keeping the option of up-voting. As far as me voluntarily choosing to stop down-voting on an individual voluntary basis is a different issue. If everyone were to agree to that would not be realistic. So, I would never voluntarily stop down-voting. I was referring to removing everyone's ability to down vote. That way our only two options would be to either up-vote or not vote at all.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2018 10:50 pm
The idea of just ending the down vote feature is sort of ridiculous, if the up thumb remained. Better to wipe both of them out and install a feature where a person can just, on their own, shut off a post or thread from their viewing while others would still be able to see and read the item.
farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 04:36 am
@Sturgis,
yeh, that would be a fine alternative. Thumbing is a bit preteen ish . I did get a laugh from the thumbing that occurred on an evolution thread. verybody who supported evo as a science in public schools got piled on thumbs down and the Creation worldviewists got heavily thumbed up. SInce it never happened before even from the most of us who were locking horns, I assumed it was some outside "force" that had a decidedly Fundamentalist/Conservative viewpoint.
My only response was "who even gives a **** that much?"

I remember, on another old art line, where I got into a discussion about how I prefer to paint on gessoed birch plywood boards instead of canvas. I was called names and insulted as some kind of lout who wouldnt know fine art from garage calendars (which, often can be high art and photography).

They didnt use thumbs, just did what we used to call FLAMING.

'Musing

blatham

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 06:35 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
They didnt use thumbs, just did what we used to call FLAMING.
That is the stupidest goddamn thing I've ever read. What are you, some kind of deranged, drug-addled child molester. You've probably got a wart on your nose that looks like a wrinkled old testicle. Bitch.
Ragman

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 09:09 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

Quote:

I like the idea of eliminating the option of all down-voting on the A2K website. While at the same time keeping the option of up-voting. As far as me voluntarily choosing to stop down-voting on an individual voluntary basis is a different issue. If everyone were to agree to that would not be realistic. So, I would never voluntarily stop down-voting. I was referring to removing everyone's ability to down vote. That way our only two options would be to either up-vote or not vote at all.

I thought that was what I wrote or meant. Maybe I was unclear. I guess the silent down-vote or 'make invisible' could be a personal option. Not sure whether ignore function does it all.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 12:06 pm
@blatham,
why did you thumb me down AND sound like a deranged nun?
I cant take this cyber bullying by you and your alter ego pinky
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2018 12:19 pm
The net-balance of thumbs up or down system is a mistake in itself, because it doesn't actually show how many people voted thumbs up or thumbs down, it just shows a balance. I'm not interested in a balance. If I go through the trouble of posting art images or gifs, I don't care how many people oppose the post. I just want to know that some people reinforce my post and make it worthwhile to post at all, otherwise, why should I go through the trouble?

That's the way it was done on Abuzz. Each up or down vote was tallied independent of each other.

Being in the majority is irrelevant, but it's nice to know that at least one person in the world supports your position or creation. I think of Mahler the composer, whose music was rejected during his lifetime and still is by many people, perhaps even the majority, but so what. If just one person realizes the greatness of his music then that's sufficient.
0 Replies