Voting abuse fix being worked on

Ragman

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 10:51 am
@oralloy,
You and I may differ here in our conclusions. However, my thumb stays firmly in its proper place, though it does make it a bit tough to sit comfortably.

There might be an ongoing down-thumbing focus towards conservatives but I suggest that it's not a new wrinkle...just the same old song-and-dance.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 01:01 pm
@Robert Gentel,
wow! really really thanks

I don't much care about the 'hot' topics - politics/religion/science etc (I expect up and down thumbing and argument there) but it was really sad to see the really nice folks in the word games get hit by this

it was nice to take a peek into some of those threads and see most of the effect rolled back.

thank you
ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 01:05 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
, I don't think it is a focused effort on targeting conservatives

I can't imagine any of the non-conservatives agreeing on enough to put a group effort into targeting particular posters. It could be happening, but it just seems such a funny/unlikely idea.
Ragman

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 01:09 pm
@ehBeth,
As one of those card-carrying Lib-tards I haven't the vitriol nor the desire to want to target political conservatives. I figure that being a conservative is punishment enough as it is.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 01:10 pm
@Ragman,
That made me laugh
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 01:13 pm
@Ragman,
That's certainly another possibility.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 03:13 pm
To the member who sent me the message about Max, don't ever do that again. To highlight the idiocy of the claim about the so-called "in-crowd," I am barely even civil to GB unless it is a music thread. I have reported her repeatedly for name calling. I loath Izzy, and I suspect he entertains the same feeling about me. Anyone who buys that bullshit Max posts about an "in-crowd" is a moron.
Sturgis

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 03:19 pm
Musical interlude for those believing there are special cliques - (yeah, this song ain't about me or anybody here)

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 06:15 pm
@Setanta,
Take the people that Setanta doesn't call "morons". That is a pretty good definition of the in-crowd. He doesn't think they are morons because they agree with him.

They are immune from Setanta's wrath and Izzy's abuse and EhBeth's scorn and Chai's anger.... All these things work together in an attempt to impose an ideological conformity.

The thumbs are part of that. In my opinion the personal attacks and name-calling are a bigger problem. People aren't attacked for their behavior (in fact Setanta and Izzy are often encouraged for abuse and name-calling). They are attacked for having the wrong opinions.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 06:38 pm
@ehBeth,
Yep. I noticed absolutely innocuous people being targeted....didn’t feel good.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 08:35 pm
@Ragman,
Every time you post I remember hearing in my head "Who's Sari now", and I thank you.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 08:37 pm
@dlowan,
I wonder if I count as a nocous person in the distinction she is making (I suspect I do).
glitterbag

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 08:44 pm
@maxdancona,
Christ Almighty, Really????? I'd offer an explanation (not that I have permission to speak for other members nor do I have a crystal ball) it might just not be prudent to think every comment is a criticism of you. I don't think anyone on this forum has that much sway or influence.
dlowan

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 09:29 pm
@maxdancona,
I have no idea.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 10:41 pm
@glitterbag,
It was a joke Glitterbag... unless your response is also a joke... in which case, never mind.

McGentrix

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 10:45 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Seriously, IMHO, I don't think it is a focused effort on targeting conservatives ... or perhaps there's more than one campaign and by more than one loony tunes.

You're kidding right? Just look at this thread alone if you doubt it exists.

I think it's amazing though that a couple libs get their posts voted down and the whole machine grinds to a halt and what, 3(?) separate threads were created about it?

You guys should weed out your own whacko's and be done with them.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 10:55 pm
@McGentrix,
I didn't think that those on the play etc threads were "libs", but my different opinion is based on a lack of basic knowledge about that.

Besides that, I think that's it's more than fine when the owner of this side takes care about the problem and opens a thread.
Real Music

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 11:06 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Can we make votes public? For example, if you click the number, you can see a list of all the people who down voted the post.

There are sites that do this (e.g. DailyKos), it works pretty well.

Why bother? If someone wants to know what I voted up and what I voted down, just ask me. I will tell you without hesitation what I voted up and what I voted down. If you Max, actually post something that justify me voting thumbs up for, I will do so. I have to say it's been awhile since you posted anything that justified me voting thumbs-up for. Yes, in the past I have voted thumbs-up for some of your post. Lately, that has not been the case. Lately it seems like virtually everything you have posted warranted only thumb-down votes from me. Maybe there will be a time when I can vote thumbs-up for you again. I truly don't think anyone would have any problem telling you Max that they voted you down because of what you have been posting lately. No one is preventing you from posting whatever you want to post. A2k is a family. We sometimes agree. We sometimes disagree. I enjoy the back and forth. So, yes please make it public. That would be wonderful. It is true that I mostly vote thumbs up for certain people. It makes since to do so, when someone shares the same or similar views as myself. Especially issues related to politics. On the other hand if I strongly disagree with any particular post, it makes since for me to vote thumbs down. I try to reserve thumbing down for post that I strongly disagree with. Lately, Max, I have strongly disagreed with many of your post. I love debating and having discussions. In fact, I really don't mind debating with you from time to time. Even the A2K members who I mostly disagree with, I do on rare occasions agree with their post and vote thumbs-up. Max try not to take it personal when someone strongly disagree with you. Try to have some fun. Maybe add a little humor from time to time.
Sturgis

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 11:07 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
It's sort of unknown what political views some in the games threads might have. They don't post anywhere else and their posts never bring up political leanings. That was when it became clear that there was some odd voting abuse taking place.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 11:14 pm
@maxdancona,
My grandfather always said it's only a joke if both people laugh, and that was after a mean spirited squabble between his daughters. If you meant its as a joke, ok with me.
0 Replies