Double Standards

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:07 pm
I seem to always be playing the double standards game at home with my husband. The same things he yells at me for doing or not doing at home are the same things he himself does or doesn't do and thinks he can get away with it. For example, Sunday is our day to clean the house. You might be thinking at least he cleans the house, but my husband is a perfectionist and obsessive compulsive when it comes to cleanliness. If I wake up on Sunday morning and feel like crap or am really tired and tell him I don't feel like cleaning today he goes into a rampage and tells me how much of a lazy bitch I am.

Today my husband came home from work and we both mutually decided to clean the house today instead of sunday because we were away last sunday and it didn't get done. Well to make a long story short, while I seemed to be doing all the work, he sat on the couch and watched tv telling me he was too tired to do anything and he didn't want to pay the bills because his hand was tired of writing and asked me to give him some sympathy by taking care of all that needed to be done by myself. See, normally on any other basis I would ask him what he needed and ask if I could help. But instead we got into a fight because I brought up how much "sympathy" I recieved from him when I really needed it. I basically told him how I should be calling HIM the lazy bitch and that if he wants sympathy from me he better start giving some.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 859 • Replies: 9
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:50 pm
I have the same double standard problem with my boss. I guess we could both quit if we wanted to.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:55 pm
Oh, I can understand how someone could want sympathy, or just a day off from responsibilities. It's okay - if it is an occasional thing, and if it works both ways. Otherwise, yeah, it can turn into a problem. I dunno, Kitkat. Some people call each other various kinds of bitch, in a more or less conversational kind of way. After trying it once, I decided to forgo further experimentation.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 12:37 am
Be your own woman.

If you don't want to clean on Sunday, don't clean. If you want to sleep in on Sunday, sleep in. If he starts calling you names, inform him that you will NOT tolerate him flinging insults and abusive names at you.

If he verbally or emotionally abuses you in order to get you to do what he TOLD you to do, then get up . . . get showered . . . pack a bag . . . and leave for three days.

At the three day point, he will understand that he was wrong, that it's not his job as your husband to dominate and control you, and that he can't conduct himself like a screaming THUG.

In other words, your husband can't verbally abuse you and control you unless you allow him to do so. If you don't like the way your husband treats you, it's up to you to tell him how you feel and to establish boundaries that he's not allowed to cross.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 12:45 am
Yep yep.... I agree completely with Debra. I know I wouldn't allow anyone to tell me what to do.
Do your cleaning when you feel like doing it and let him do his part when he feels like doing it.
You're both adults and I wouldn't put up with anyone treating me that way.

Good luck.
0 Replies

DestinysDad

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 02:35 pm
Write this down on a piece of paper, and log each incident where a double standard was applied. You should then ask for a detailed explanation of how the incidents were different, otherwise you're not cleaning anything other than your own ....

If he's reasonable, he'll realize the problem if you present it to him openly (maybe not to the extreme of writing it all down).
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 02:58 pm
Tell him you've decided you need to hire a house cleaner. Then do it. Housecleaning isn't worth fighting over.

I agree with Debra. I don't allow anyone to call me a bitch for any reason. (And I've been married for over 20 years, btw.)
0 Replies

ukman

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 04:48 pm
WELL IVE COOKED EACH EVENING,WALKED THE MUTT,SHOVED WASHING IN THE MACHINE BUT I CANT (BUT MUST LEARN NOW) TO IRON,I VACUME ,I DECORATE ,I DO JOBS THAT NEED DOING......BUT APPARENTLY IM A LAZY SLOB WHO WOULD ...OOOPS IS GONNA LIVE LIKE A PIG.....
0 Replies

mit2727

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 06:08 pm
Before we hired someone, I would have the EXACT same argument with my wife every few months. The house would get a little on the unkept side, and my wife would decide at the exact wrong time that now was the time to clean, and God help me if I wanted to wait and do it some other time. The same exact situation that you described would play out, she would decide to devote some weekend morning to cleaning, and then If I didn't want to wake up she would yell, run the vacume in the room, blast the radio, or some such tactic to get me out of bed. Or if I was watching TV or playing the computer, turn them off or disconnect them.

On the other hand, when I felt that it was time to clean and she didn't feel like it, I would get a long speech about how she does everything around the house and could relax if she wanted to. If I tried to clean without her help, she would try to make me stop becuase I wasn't doing it right and should wait until I could take direction from her. Does that sound familiar?

I'm sure we both understand our spouses need to live in a clean environment. But if you are anything like me, nothing raises your hackles like having your weekend schedule dictated to you.

Of course the easy solution is to hire someone. Thats what I did, but now I get to bear the blame everytime the housekeepers put one of my wife's pair of pants in the dryer.

If you can't hire someone you've got to divide the work and do it on your own schedules. Having one person designated as the clean king is going to put you in the constant position of being ordered around.

Debra says move out. That won't be productive in my experiance. Your husband, like my wife, sounds extreemly stubborn and will proably not give in to those tactics. You could take the advice she gave me in a similar situation and just give in (her advice, curiously, is very different here). But I'm certainly not an advocate of that. So hire someone, but keep your eyes peeled for the control issues pooping up in other circumstances and realize if your going down the road of complete submission before its too late.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 11:57 pm
Okay, I admit it. "Hire someone" is the easy way out.

But there's another way that's only a little bit more difficult that's worked for me, too. Here it is: If one partner is clearly more concerned about a certain issue than their mate, then he/she shall be in charge of that.

For example, my husband is one of those skinny types who is always thinking about food. (I am neither.) He used to bug me all the time about what I was going to make for dinner...even to the point of calling me in the middle of the work day every friggin' day to discuss it. So I put him in charge of cooking dinner, and voila! no more interruptions, he doesn't have to worry, and he gets exactly what he wants. And, btw, so do I. No more irritation. As a trade-off, I do the grocery shopping and clean up the kitchen afterward (things he doesn't like to do.)

If he wants the house spotlessly clean, I suggest you put him in charge of that. Let him do it or hire somebody he can oversee. Find something you can do in peace (i.e., something he doesn't care about, but has to be done) as a trade-off.
0 Replies