Bush no longer wants Canadian PM at his birthday party

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 04:00 pm
Quote:
A day before he announced that Canada would have nothing to do with U.S. missile defence, Prime Minister Paul Martin placed a call to the American president to tell him of his decision, senior American officials told CTV News.

But the leaders never actually spoke that day. And almost a week later, President George W. Bush has yet to return Martin's call.

Source

Great way to make a point George.

Funny how there seems to be a causal relationship between the above and the following:

Quote:
Jan 31, 2005 - Congress Daily - Sen. Conrad Burns, R-Mont., who opposes the Agriculture Department's plan to re-open the U.S. border March 7 to imports of live cattle and some meat from Canada, will accompany President Bush on a post-State of the Union trip to Montana
Thursday, the same day the Senate Agriculture Committee holds a
hearing on the USDA plan. The United States closed the border to
Canadian live cattle imports in May 2003 when a Canadian cow tested positive for bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or mad cow disease. Burns said he would discuss the border opening and Social Security with Bush on the trip to Great Falls. "I've got a couple things to address with him," Burns said in a statement. "I don't think it's a good idea to re-open our border to cattle imports from Canada yet, and I also want to reiterate to him that any proposed changes to Social Security must do no harm to
those already receiving benefits, or will be receiving benefits shortly, although I am intrigued by the opportunity for ownership of these
accounts and look forward to hearing what Montanans think about it."

Source

Seems to have a fair bit of pull with Bush because:

Quote:
Just days before Canadian ranchers were to ship young cattle to the United States for the first time in nearly two years, a U.S. judge ordered a temporary halt to the Bush administration's plan to resume trade because of concerns raised about mad-cow disease.

Source

Apparently you're still either with us or with.......
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,412 • Replies: 46
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 04:41 pm
It's my party and I'll cry if I want to,
Cry if I want to,
Cry if I want to--
You would cry, too, if it happened to you!
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 05:16 pm
I thought only seven year olds did this?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 05:35 pm
mmmm, Freedom Bacon!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 08:56 am
Canada has pursued an increasingly divisive policy with respect to the United States for several decades. The only recent period of cooperation was during the administration of former PM Mulrooney. No one should be surprised that, after decades of escalating carping, complaints, shutting down long-established modes of cooperation, increasing opposition in policy matters, and public criticism in international forums, there finally develops a reaction to all this in the United States. Our patience with our rather childish and self-centered neighbor has already gone well beyond historical norms for such situations.

Canada is a rather large net inporter in her trade with the rest of the world. However Canada enjoys a huge favorable balance of trade with the United States, one that more than makes up for Canada's trade deficit with every other nation, making her a large net exporter. Unfortunately Canada has not been paying enough attention to the iinterests of her best customer. There should be no surprise at the eventual reaction here.

The issue over the live cattle exports is a result of the uncontested fact that Canada has already exported cattle to this country that were infected with BSE (mad cow disease). The immediate reaction of nearly every other nation in the world was to place an embargo on beef exports from the United States. There are high stakes in this game, and more important considerations at hand than the commercial interests of Canadian cattle producers, who undeniably have a BSE problem on their hands.

Unfortunately in this and other matters the Canadian public seems interested only in the effects on themselves and their rather detached position in the world. We have no interest in coddling such self-centered childishness, and should quietly start putting the economic screws to our bothersome neighbor. We could start with security inspections at our norther border of shipments from Canadian manufacturers supporting just-in-time manufacturing customers in the USA. That could shut down most manufacturing in Ontario and would likely raise employment in Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New York.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 11:21 am
georgeob
That can go both ways ;-)

last time I looked, Canada wasn't the childish self-centered ones.

The problem is that the US makes threats every time another country doesn't want to get involved in their agenda and you call Canada self centered! This is when they like to throw out all the things they do for us and blah blah blah, yet they always fail to mention what other countries do for them.
Do you think the US would do anything for Canada if it didn't benefit them? I think not!

I think the US should stop worrying about what other countries are not doing for them and pay attention to their own damn country! Your country takes from the poor and feeds the rich, so there's no room for calling Canada self-centered and childish.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 12:10 pm
What does Canada do for the United States? Nothing at all as far as I can see. California has a larger economy than Canada. There are more than nine Americans for every Canadian. You guys aren't worth half the trouble you cause. We can do without Canada far more easily than Canada can do without the United States. That is the key point here. Canadians should wake up to reality.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 12:19 pm
Quote:
What does Canada do for the United States? Nothing at all as far as I can see. California has a larger economy than Canada. There are more than nine Americans for every Canadian. You guys aren't worth half the trouble you cause. We can do without Canada far more easily than Canada can do without the United States. That is the key point here. Canadians should wake up to reality.

What a jerk you come off as.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 05:28 pm
george
Well, I guess you won't be needing our natural gas anymore. Oh well, all the more for us.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 05:31 pm
george
I think you're the one who needs a taste of reality!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 05:36 pm
Quote:
What does Canada do for the United States?

Always best to only have friends that can give you something. It's really the only basis for any friendship ever. Otherwise it would be called commerce. Rolling Eyes

Guess Canada didn't have a birthday present for Georgie.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 05:55 pm
So, ummmm... did anyone answer Georges question?

Or is acting indignant what canadians do?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 06:00 pm
There are those who feel that the other nations of the world owe the U.S. gratitude, regardless of what goes on in the world.

Any of you all want to comment about our forces shooting up the vehicle carrying the Italian journalist in Iraq? The Italians sound particularly ungrateful at the moment...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 06:01 pm
We are talking about Canada now D'art. Stop trying to change the subject.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 06:05 pm
squinney wrote:
Quote:
What does Canada do for the United States?

Always best to only have friends that can give you something. It's really the only basis for any friendship ever. Otherwise it would be called commerce. Rolling Eyes

Guess Canada didn't have a birthday present for Georgie.

Yep yep! Good point Squinney!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 06:11 pm
McGentrix wrote:
So, ummmm... did anyone answer Georges question?

Or is acting indignant what canadians do?

Hmmmm.... I think I do remember mentioning something about natural gas.

And now that I think about it, I see a huge amount of American companies parking their butts over here in swarms and I'd be willing to bet that this is a good thing for the US. I'll have to remember that the next time I stop into Costco, Staples, Home Depot, etc....
There is so much more I could add, but I'm not up to doing the research to post here.
In fact, this is a political thread and I shouldn't even be in here.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 07:36 pm
The economic trade between Canada and the United States generally benefits both countries, as does free trade everywhere. However the facts establish beyond doubt that this trade is far more important to Canada , both in relative and in absolute terms, than it is to the United States.

Canada doesn't owe us anything, and we don't owe Canada anything. It is simply a fact that the supposed "friendship" of our northern neighbor has been more of a burden than an aid to us for the last several decades. Sooner or later the United States will fully wake up to this fact and begin to treat Canada with all the warmth, consideration, and understanding that they have shown us over the last few years. When that occurs, Canada will be the loser by a wide margin.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 07:58 pm
They'll always have Tim Horton's...
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 08:10 pm
George, whilst you continue your endless tirade against canada...

You might want to consider that every action, indifferent or otherwise, the US takes against canada hurts americans too. For every cow, stick of lumber or lowly potato banned from crossing the border or taxed - tariffed to death... the american public eventually pays the cost.
Of course trade with the States is more important to Canada, we have catered to your needs. But...the continued boycotts and border closures have forced canadian business to "wake up to reality" and search for other markets and become more creative. Who knows what the future holds.
However, the US cannot sustain its insatiable need for more without someone to feed the monster. And you can't continue to beat up the world to get more.

That being said, a stupid decision made on either side of the border rarely makes anyone happy.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 08:17 pm
Ceili wrote:
That being said, a stupid decision made on either side of the border rarely makes anyone happy.

Best thing said on this thread.
0 Replies