What does 1T mean in child clothing sizes?

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:52 am
Bean is a very tall baby. She is almost 3 feet tall. She can stand up next to other kids who are 2-2/2 years old and either look them in the eye or tower over them. Apparently Mr Wolf was like that as a child also. To the point that his gramma would make pants for him before his 3rd b-day so that they would fit.
Now Bean is wearing 12 month clothes but they are way too small.
I see alot of brands go from 12 month to 1T and nothing in between. Then again, on a diffrent rack, I see 12 month 14 month sometimes up to 18 month before I see a 1T ?
What is 1T ? What size is between 1T ?
It was easier to size her clothes for the first 8 mos of her life because she was in clothes up to 12 month .... but now.. I have to get t shirts and shorts that are diffrent sizes because she is too tall. I dont know how to size her properly? I dont know what sizes mean after 12 month Embarrassed . I may have a nudist here pretty soon if I cant find clothes to fit. Shocked
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 34,392 • Replies: 24
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:58 am
1T is 1 toddler. If I remember correctly, the pants are longer and that's about it.

My son was the fattest baby I've ever seen. At 6 months he wore 24 months sizes, but when he got to be about 1 or so, they were all too short in the stride, so we moved to toddler sizes. The same thing is happening now that my daughter is 3. She was wearing 3T but they're all too short. I started buying her regular size 3s and that helped for a while. Now she's on to 4s even though she has room to grow.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:58 am
"T" stands for "Toddler". It is the size range beyond the infant sizes. Here is a chart of sizes.

Link to Toddler sizing
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 09:00 am
so 1T is one toddler, or maybe , 1 TALL? :-)
hmm.. these might work.
She is VERY tall but VERY lean so some of the clothes dont fit her middle very well but that isnt the problem. Just looks cute !
Is there a way to measure clothes like there is for shoes? Meaning .. a certain length in clothes fits 2 foot tall kids, etc?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 09:00 am
1 T is 1 Toddler. I think I remember reading somewhere that at that point they start making clothes for walking rather than crawling/ laying around, and they're a tiny bit bigger than 12 month clothes.

It really varies by brand, though. Old Navy tends toward long and skinny -- 4 T Old Navy pants are the same length as 3T Gymboree pants. Etc.

Experiment with brands (especially at resale stores), and the patterns will become evident.

You can also measure her, as most every brand says what their measurements are for each size. For example, here's Old Navy's size chart:

12-18 months: 39-31 inches tall, 22-27 pounds
18-24 months: 31-33 inches tall, 27-30 pounds.

If she's tall but skinny, I recommend Old Navy. If she's just plain big, go the mix and match route.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 09:02 am
Some companies use metric height measurements for sizes, but they are few and usually expensive. Hanna Anderssen is one (probably not spelled right). Unfortunately there is a lot of variance in sizes even within brands sometimes. Your best bet is to eyeball it or hold the pants up next to Bean to see if they're long enough.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 09:05 am
Yeah, about Gymboree, they are pretty much true to size and I don't know any other brand that is. I remember being surprised when I hit the Gymboree clearance rack and realized that my (then) 4 year old really did wear size 4. I'm used to buying big at Old Navy and Walmart and others, so it was kind of nice to be able to actually buy his size by age there.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 09:06 am
So far the only brand I can find that fits great is Ralph loren.. Rolling Eyes and I hate that brand. For many reasons. Laughing

Thanks for the link Phoenix. I didnt notice it until after I posted.

Bean DOES have an old navy denim jacket that is 12 month and fits perfectly. Her birthday is this weekend so I think I will take her clothes shopping there. I love thier little outfits!
She is 34 inches tall and 25 lbs. Shocked
Literally, the size of most 2 yr olds.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 09:08 am
hanna andersson rocks. There was an outlet close to my mom's house until last year. Sozlet's been wearing stuff from there since she was born. Then the outlet closed. *sob*

Er, 29 - 31 inches tall, above.

Ya now what though, I looked it up for Gymboree and it was the same. :-? That's not my experience though. Definitely just take the whole sizing thing with a grain of salt. Sozlet is now wearing things that are 4T, 5T, Gap small (4/5 T), and 6T, from various brands. (Gap small fits best right now.)

Gymboree has good quality and good sales. Just thought of what could be part of my Gymboree confusion though -- almost all of our Gymboree clothes are hand-me-downs from sozlet's cousin, maybe they plain shrank.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 09:09 am
I've been drooling over Hanna Andersson catalogues since before either of my kids were born. Never could quite afford it. I wish there was an outlet within three hours of here and I would surely go.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 09:15 am
Hanna anderson?
( googling this in a minute )

As for kids brands, are there any that are KNOWN for shrinkage ? Targets faded glory clothes do that to me all the time. GRRR!!!!!!!!! I have stopped buying them.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 09:18 am
Hmm -- cheap ones often shrink, no matter what. That's often why they're big to start with in fact.

There are often really, really nice clothes at resale stores ("Once Upon a Child" and such) that have the benefit of being pre-shrunk, as well.

But generally the better brands shrink less.

I admit to really liking Baby Gap. Too expensive to start with, but good sales.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 10:17 am
Oh yes, Baby Gap can take all of my money for 3 pairs of pants. hehehe . I do like that store.
We do have a Once Upon a Child store here and quite a few other baby resale stores. I go there for baby toys since I can get a BUNCH for 10 bucks. I completely pass the clothes though... Dont know why! Maybe this is a better spot to shop for clothes. Good point about already being shrunk. And since she wont fit a set of clothes for more then 3 mos , I dont need to go broke buying them.

My shopping spree just got bigger, and the budget for it smaller. :-)
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 10:58 am
Hi, She. My daughter was the same way - Tall and skinny. (Born at 19" 3 lbs, currently 5'8, 105 lbs at 16yo)

As she gets a little older and starts wearing jeans, you can buy boy jeans. Did that for a couple of years (until she found out) cause the hips are slimmer.

Also, to get more accurate sizes and better quality clothing I shopped at TJ Maxx. I shopped at Hects / Dillards etc for the kids clothes early on. (Isn't one of the best things about having them, being able to dress them?) Then I happened into TJ Maxx one day and saw the same clothes from the previous season that had been in the top department stores. After a couple of years I could tell their growth rate and buy early for the next season.

Daughter started kindergarten with at least a dozen $75 dresses in her closet based on the prices I saw them at in Hechts. Cost at TJ Maxxx... Averaged about $12 - $15 per.

I also stayed with elastic waistebands as long as possible so I could buy next size up for length without much difference in waist.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 11:55 am
Old Navy and Gap have this thing -- forget what it's called, "true fit" or something -- where there is elastic and buttons in the waistband, and you can adjust. Works really nicely.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 12:17 pm
Since we have a couple of Gochildren, and since we have younger friends with small children, I've and had to buy quite often children clothes as presents.

Actually, this is quite easy here - when you know the how great (or small) the child is:
children clothes are seized in centimeters.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UQDvAnQYUuV!9J0WFf72ZTFtRkYUQGCKwPcQF9W0EgqoWC1ofdkLBtNHYBCZVTlwef69ezvxkpAGVwDi089ybrj4EwCsjEak280HDF4BrhGsDi!chQrCrz3RWbajtT*q/Gr%C3%B6%C3entabelle.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 12:20 pm
squinney wrote:
(Isn't one of the best things about having them, being able to dress them?)

I always thought it would be fun to have a "what is your kid wearing today?" thread. :-D Although I long ceased to have much control -- I buy 'em (with her input), but she almost always chooses what to wear. (I have power of veto.)

Today her self-selected outfit is:

Purple t-shirt with shades of purple big butterfly printed on it. (Hand me down.)

Very cool dark pink sweater with pom-poms all around the edges from Baby Gap. (Gift from mom.)

Dark pink two-layer below-knee poofy organza skirt. (Part of a princess costume from Old Navy, $2.50 the week after Halloween.)

Black tights with dark pink, purple, yellow, red, white, and blue stripes. (A couple bucks from Old Navy.)

Black Ked's maryjanes. ($5 at our old local shoe store's annual summer blowout -- I bought ahead.)

MUCH more interesting than my outfit. :-D
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 12:25 pm
One more thought thought on sizing:

Something else that makes a big difference is the style. One thing that's fantastic about hanna andersson for example is that the specific styles they design last for a long time. Sozlet wears hannas for longer stretches than any other clothes.

For example, an outfit like this:

http://www.hannaandersson.com/images/LiveStyle03/5p29638k.jpg

Lasts from when the leggings and dress are on the long side until they're both on the short side -- the "perfect fit" range is much wider.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 08:56 am
I love those “true fit” type of pants. Both my daughters are skinny minis so I also have difficulty finding pants. Another place that has these types of clothes and they are really cute and much less than gymboroee and the Gap is the Children’s Place.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 10:11 am
Oh, yes. The Children's Place has amazing seasonal sales in their outlet stores. Last year I bought my kids 3 shopping bags full of winter clothes in February (there was still plenty of winter left here) for less that $100. And they were very nice clothes.
0 Replies