Biography still a problem, could you check this?

ryunin

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 07:51 am
Hi, I have translated only a couple of biographies from Czech into English so far so I still struggle with certain kind of sentences.

I can't ask you to rewrite everything or tell me about all subtle details so I only ask if whoever comes across this and notices a big mistake, please let me know. Thank you. BTW the guy is my little brother... not so little any more...

Martin Valek

Another protagonist of the evening Martin Valek, who was born in 1970, showed his talent connected with his musical family background as early as at the age of 11 by performing Vivaldi's Concerto in A minor with the Prague Chamber Soloists. A year later he presented himself (introduced his skills) in the Netherlands with the Leeuwarden Students' Orchestra.

Martin Valek studied violin at the Prague Conservatory and the Academy of Performing Arts, where he was a student with professor Petr Messiereur. Then he continued his studies in the U.S. at Yale Univerity under professor S. Harth, where he also performed as a concert master of the Yale Symphony Orchestra. In 1987, based on his exceptional talent, he was invited to play at Eastern Music Festival in Greensboro, North Carolina, the U. S. A. Soon after, he studied solo and chamber violin at the Guilford College, which hosts the above mentioned festival, with French violin virtuoso G. Poulet.

He began his solo career with performances at the Smetana Hall in Prague and concert halls of Leipzig and Dresden. Soon he started to collaborate with the Czech Television (Paganini's Variations on the G string) and the Czech Radio (Mozart's Sonatas, Beethoven's Romances, Dvorak's Romances and Massenet's Meditation). He performed Kalach's violin concerto with the Prague Radio Symphony at Music Biennale in Zagreb, Crotia and he played Sibelius' violin concerto with the same orchestra at the Intenational Music Festival of Radio Symphony Orchestras in Cologne, Germany.

Martin Valek's performances with Moravian Philharmonic Orchestra, Izmir Symphony Orchestra, Taipei Symphony Orchestra and Toronto Philharmonia proved his talent and artistic growth. In 2000 he made his first CD album on which he recorded violin concertos by Sibelius and Prokofiev with the Prague Symphony Orchestra under his father Vladimir Valek's batton.

In 1999 Martin Valek founded Epoque Quartet. It was not merely similar opinions of music that brought the four professionally experienced and outstanding solo and chamber musicians together, but above all it was their great enthusiasm for "non -classical" music genres such as jazz, rock and funk. Martin Valek has recorded three CD albums with Epoque Quartet and toured several contries with the group, among others France, Germany and Izrael.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 723 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 02:59 am
bm jn

commas
0 Replies

ryunin

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 11:06 am
thank u joe, what do you mean BM JN?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 11:25 am
Hey, ryunin, bm means bookmark. When you put that in a response field it makes the topic move to the "Your Posts" link making it easier to find.

I'm still looking over your text, but there doesn't seem to me to be many errors except for some mis-placed commas. Your English is excellent, so much, much better than my Czech.... . Very Happy

Joe(I don't know a single word ) Nation
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 11:41 am
ryunin - is this to be used in a program in the U.S. or Canada? There are a few changes I'd make - but only for those particular markets (because I don't know how differently programs may be done in other English speaking countries).

Looks great for the most part. I wonder if I heard your brother perform as I've attended concerts by the Toronto Philharmonia.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 12:10 pm
0 Replies

ryunin

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 07:53 pm
Thank you everyone for the detailed ideas and suggestions.

I don't know what the text is supposed to be for, my brother just asked me to translate it from Czech to English.

Toronto, yes, he had a concert in Toronto about 2 years ago.

I think it is supposed to be for European market, but Europeans should understand that North American English is not something less than British English.
0 Replies

ryunin

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 08:05 pm
and Joe, I'll just send my brother your version so no changes you made slip by

a talented bunch, yes, so everyone is expecting you to be as good as they are, I am cursed as I have no time to become famous... I prefer jazz and trumpet and you know jazz is all corrupt and fake these days so I am not going to be another Miles Davis, but that's OK with me - Miles Davis also had a problem, he never had enough, never enough women , never enough ferraris, never enough drugs and never enough spectators so after all I might be having more fun living the unknown trumpet player's life than Miles had, with all respect and love for him

my brother also complains quite a lot about not having enough concerts, only my father has always worked hard like hell never complaining so now he is really popular in Japan, but only classical concert goers know him in the Czech Republic

my sister who studies flute in Prague is actually dating a Prage jazz bass
player who has been invited to play and live in NYC so she might follow him there - I told her she should study flute in NYC and have fun in the city, my sister would love New YOrk, maybe love too much, she is really flexible and wild, she would really fit in there, but on the other hand she is only 18 so it might be a little mind boggling , too many things happening there for her... whatever I/ve been drinking beer tonite so I am just rambling here oops its 3 am time to go to bed I guess, I love New YOrk anyway, I hope I will stop by there soon again
0 Replies