words frequent and special usage..

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 01:34 pm
Hi,

When writing, I found out many words that confuse me.Which one should I choose?.Words are synonyms, but which one sounds better than the others in meaning.I think this needs a professional Smile

I know that sometimes it could be a nuance.Which words are out of date ?, or which one has " a popular" use?.Which is more correct, but people don't use?, just like that.

I'll drop all the words and expressions that I have and will have here, in one thread.

Hope that somebody would be interested, and thanks for everybody

:wink:

When do you use the following words in each sentence,

1) I looked at the two marvelous remains/ remnant /relic / antiquities.

2) I was contemplating / pondering at that thing.

3) It was a marvelous / wonderful / eccentric piece.( I wouldn't say eerie ).

4) What are the special use of,

- lavalier, pendant, necklace, and choker .

- quality, strain, feature.

- wand ( maybe for magical things ) , stick, staff, cane.

- instrument, tool.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 530 • Replies: 5
No top replies

bermbits

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 07:21 pm
Without offering specifics on your question, it's sometimes a problem picking the "perfect" word because, as you wrote, of the nuances. Except for #2 (and I wouldn't use the "at"), each example you offer in each case has a connotative meaning which evokes specific images.

In Shelley's poem "Ozymandias," the first line: "I met a traveler from an antique land" offers an interesting word choice with "antique." Why not ancient or old? The word "antique" offers a deeper meaning (to me).

That is why a thesaurus is useless tool unless one knows the specific meanings of the synonyms. I hope someone offers more here.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 07:38 pm
Navigator, I first want to tell you how much I admire your desire to learn english. Lately I have had to correspond with several native speakers who don't even come close to your grasp of the language.

Well done, navigator!

I may never be an expert but I will take a stab at your questions:

1) Remains is typically used as a word for corpse - a dead body.
Remnant is usally used to mean a leftover piece of fabric after the rest of the roll has been purchased.
Relic/antiquity are pretty interchangable.

This really depends on what you were looking at. I get the idea that you might be looking at two ancient objects.

2) Contemplating/pondering are very similar. You would want to leave the "at" out.

I was contemplating/pondering that object.
Or,
I was thinking about that object.

3) Marvelous/wonderful are both adjectives to describe something that you liked.
Eccentric usually means something is a bit odd - not quite what you would expect.

4) I had never heard of a lavalier but I looked the word up and found that it is very much like a pendant!

Both a lavalier and a pendant are ornamental objects that dangle from an unadorned chain.
A necklace typically is uniform in its ornamentation. Like pearls.
A choker is a short necklace that fits tight around the throat.

Quality/strain/feature - I'm still working on that one.

Wand, as you suggest, typically describes a rod used for magic.
Stick is a small branch that has fallen from a tree.
Staff is a big stick - perhaps a branch - perhaps one that is used as a weapon.
Cane is a finished stick or staff, usually decortive that is used to help one balance and walk.

Instrument usually describes a scientific tool - a microscope, for instance; or someting used to make music - a piano, a violin.
Tool typically refers to something that can be bought at the hardware store - a hammer, a wrench, a screwdriver.

I hope this helps!

Like I said, I'm no expert. I just wanted to give you a well deserved pat on the back and offer some encouragement to you.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 07:48 pm
Nice job, Boomerang. The only thing I have to offer is for 2. Contemplating as opposed to pondering. Contemplating really means looking and is passive in nature. Pondering is active as if there's a mystery that has to be solved and you're working on it.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 07:46 am
Thanks everybody.Thanks for the nice words boomerang .What you wrote really helped.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 10:26 am
Hi again.New things coming up,

1) What is the difference between creed, doctrine, cult, and dogma ?

2) This book was rendered / translated by me .

3) We continually / continuously strive to meet.

If I say, what happens after marriage.I found this sentence as a title to a book.I suppose that this isn't a question, but the word what is used for questions ( I guess ) .How come ?

stay cool Cool
0 Replies