what is the meaning of this?

bubu

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 09:46 pm
hallo!!

can someone tell me the meaning of this sentence.

"The secret a family member has been toting around for what seems like forever has begun to weigh them down -- and to weigh you down, too. Better find someone to talk about it."

thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 969 • Replies: 8
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 09:18 am
It seems to me that what the sentence is saying is...

Someone in the family has a secret, keeping the secret is beginning to cause problems in her (his) life. Now these problems are beginning to cause problems in your (the reader's) life. Getting the family member to talk about the secret may help to solve the problems.
0 Replies

moxiac

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 10:54 am
What is the real meanin of four-leaved-clover? Does that only means enjoyment with lots of money and luxury? or does it have another meanin too?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 12:12 pm
A four leaved clover is a luck charm--I supposed because both luck and four leaved clovers are rare beasts.

Doggerel on the subject:

http://www.rienzihills.com/SING/imlookingovverafourleafclover.htm

When we were children, one of the default options for a sticky-hot summer day was sprawling in the grass, looking for four leaved clovers and chatting about the world.

We found four, five and six leaved clovers--also nectar seeking bees--but we never discovered the Meaning of Life.
0 Replies

Aa

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 10:56 pm
Just a bit of trivia regarding the four-leafed clover:
Around St. Patrick's Day, March 17th, one frequently sees the four-leafed clover in illustrations, supposedly in representation of the shamrock. That is quite a departure from the traditional shamrock, which is three-leafed. The story is that when Patrick was preaching in Ireland, he used the shamrock as an illustration of the Trinity: three-in-one. That is why it makes no sense for the shamrock to be four-leafed.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 01:55 pm
Aa--

Good to see you posting. Welcome back.
0 Replies

Aa

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 10:50 am
Thanks, Noddy! I enjoy seeing your posts on these threads.
0 Replies

syntinen

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 10:46 am
Quote:
The story is that when Patrick was preaching in Ireland, he used the shamrock as an illustration of the Trinity: three-in-one. That is why it makes no sense for the shamrock to be four-leafed.

But actually the whole story of St Patrick and the shamrock makes no sense, because pagan Celtic Ireland was packed with threefold deities - the goddess Bride, the Morrigan, and many many others. If there was one thing about Christianity that the the pagan Irish would have found totally familar and normal, it was the concept of a trinity. So what is the shamrock story really all about?
0 Replies

tamir

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 08:13 pm
i guess no one knows
0 Replies