More trouble for DeLay

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 11:54 am
Let's re-track this thread by looking at a run-down of the issues that are involved.

http://www.commoncause.org/site/pp.asp?c=dkLNK1MQIwG&b=476747

Quote:
Tom DeLay's Transgressions: A Pattern of Misbehavior

Unprecedented 4 Admonishments by unanimous votes of the bipartisan Ethics Committee

K Street Project (1999) - Admonished for threatening Electronic Industries Alliance for not hiring a Republican as its president. The ethics committee initiated this investigation. Source: "Ethics Panel Chastises DeLay For Threatening Trade Group." The Washington Post, 5/14/99

Westar Energy (2004) - Admonished for organizing a fundraiser at the Homestead resort for energy company executives, including Westar Energy company officials, just as a conference committee was to meet on an energy bill (H.R. 6). The committee said this created "at a minimum" the appearance of trading favors for influence on legislation. Source: Ethics Committee memorandum.

Texas Redistricting (2004) - Admonished for using the Federal Aviation Administration in the 2003 Texas redistricting battle to track an airplane carrying Democrats out of the state. Source: Ethics Committee memorandum.

Medicare Bill (2004) - Offering both benefits (campaign contributions for son's campaign) and threats (opposition to son's campaign) to Rep. Nick Smith (R-MI) on the House floor during a November 2003 vote on Medicare/prescription drug bill. Source: Ethics Committee Medicare report.

Pending case

Illegal Campaign Contributions (2005) - The House ethics committee last year was asked to investigate Rep. DeLay for using his political action committee, Texans for a Republican Majority (TRMPAC), to launder corporate money to Texas state campaigns in 2002, a violation of state law. The committee decided not to take action on the complaint until after Travis County (Austin), Texas district attorney Ronnie Earle completes his investigation of TRMPAC activities and until indictments against DeLay associates in Texas are disposed of. Source: Ethics Committee memorandum.

Questionable Conduct (not publicly considered by ethics committee)

Celebrations for Children (CFC) - This charity, which counted DeLay political operatives among its officers, had planned to sell tee times to Long Island golf courses, as well as VIP tickets to Broadway plays, yacht cruises and other events that offered access to DeLay during the 2004 Republican convention in New York. The funds raised by CFC for those events would have been used to pay for convention expenses. In addition, the money would count as partially tax-deductible donations toward a foster home under construction in DeLay's district. After the charity's plan drew unfavorable attention from the House Ethics Committee, the charity backed away from its convention plans.

Cruise Ship in NYC - DeLay proposed anchoring a cruise liner in New York harbor during the convention as an exclusive hotel for lawmakers, lobbyists and special guests. That plan was scrapped after unfavorable publicity and New York officials' objected because of lost hotel and hospitality-related revenue.

Legal Defense Fund Contributions - DeLay was forced to return contributions to his legal defense fund from registered lobbyists because those contributions violated House ethics rules. ("DeLay and Company," Time, March 21, 2005 - premium content)

The Latest Ethics Allegations Against Tom DeLay

Accepting illegal gifts of travel, lodging and golfing outing in the British Islands from lobbyist Jack Abramoff. [need new source]

Taking trip to South Korea with other House Members and staff funded by a registered foreign agents. [need new source -add NJ article]

Protecting Delay: Changing Ethics Rules

Attempting to change House ethics rules to eliminate the broad rule that Members should conduct themselves in a manner that reflects creditably on the House. This had been the basis for sanctions by the ethics committee and the House.

The House Republican conference changes its internal rules, rescinding a provision that if indicted, a leadership member must step down from post. (This rule change is itself later rescinded after adverse publicity.)

Changed House ethics rules to let a complaint die if the ethics committee cannot decide whether it should be investigated within 45 days.

Changed House rules to allow either party to block an ethics investigation by voting along party lines, thus denying a majority vote to allow it to proceed.

Attempting to change ethics rule that no outsider could help a member write a complaint.

Protecting Delay: Ethics Committee Purge

Speaker Dennis Hastert removed Rep. Joel Hefley (D-CO) as ethics chair -- who oversaw three admonishments of DeLay in 2004.

Speaker Hastert removed two Republicans from the ethics committee who admonished DeLay and voted against the Republican Conference rule changes.

Replaced the three members of the Ethics Committee with Republican loyalists who have contributed to DeLay's legal defense fund.

Rep. Doc Hastings (R-WA), the new ethics committee chairman, purges two committee senior staff.

Protecting Delay: Intimidate Accusers

Ethics committee in November 2004, along with admonishment of Delay, warns Rep. Chris Bell (D-TX), who filed complaints against Delay, for "excessive or inflammatory language or exaggerated charges " and threatened disciplinary action against Members who filed complaints the committee considered excessive or inflammatory. This action serves to discourage the already rare Member-filed complaint to the ethics committee.

Retaliation against Ronnie Earle, the Texas district attorney who is investigating possible violations by DeLay. Specifically, legislation introduced in the GOP-dominated state Texas state legislature to halt Earle's high-profile grand jury probe. The legislation would have taken authority over campaign finance violations from the district attorney and given it to a special office in the Texas Ethics Commission that would have the power to stop district attorneys from prosecuting election code violations.

This should provide a good basis for discussion of both past and future ethics violations of Scumbag Tom DeLay.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 01:13 pm
http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2003/ALLPOLITICS/08/01/sprj.irq.delay/vert.delay.jpg

The "Hammer" is about to get nailed.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 01:57 pm
Quote:
Unprecedented 4 Admonishments by unanimous votes of the bipartisan Ethics Committee

Yeah, it must be a witch hunt. Unanimous votes have to be evidence of that some way. C'mon oralloy, tell us HOW every GOPer on the Ethics committee was threatened by the minority party.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 02:02 pm
Cynical of me, but I think all of this has as much to do with the Schiavo case as anything else. Well, that and the second anniversary of the Iraq war, as whatever is happening now continues. (It's not officially a war anymore, right? That ended with "Mission Accomplished" 'n' all? Anyway.)
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 03:26 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Of course the confession was forced... who would admit to wrong doing unless they were forced? The fact that it was forced does not make it false.

What makes it false is the fact that there was absolutely nothing wrong with Newt not asking a lawyer before teaching a college class, or with him accidentally putting (supposedly) "wrong" info in a signed statement -- especially when it was well known what he meant, and the documents were accompanied with other signed documents that had the (supposedly) "correct" info in them.

DrewDad wrote:
I'll say it again: if the charges were false, then he should have fought them tooth and nail. He didn't. He folded like an accordion.

My outlook is to blame the persecutor, not the victim.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 03:36 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Sorry, I think that one is a bit of a stretch. You don't think that Newt had some damn fine lawyers? That he wouldn't jump at the chance to humiliate some "democratic witch hunters?"

The trouble is, "what the laws and ethics rules are" were not of any importance in this witch hunt.

The basis of these Democratic witch hunts is to give the populace the impression that there was wrongdoing, and then use that to create political pressure on Republicans to ignore the facts out of political expediency and just let the Democrats punish an innocent person.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 03:38 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2003/ALLPOLITICS/08/01/sprj.irq.delay/vert.delay.jpg

The "Hammer" is about to get nailed.

Maybe. Maybe not.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 03:39 pm
parados wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, it must be a witch hunt. Unanimous votes have to be evidence of that some way. C'mon oralloy, tell us HOW every GOPer on the Ethics committee was threatened by the minority party.

It comes from the demagogy the Democrats use. If the Republicans stand up for what is right and reject the false charges, the Democrats will demonize them to the voters, claiming they are covering up for some supposed crime.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 05:15 pm
Quote:
It comes from the demagogy the Democrats use. If the Republicans stand up for what is right and reject the false charges, the Democrats will demonize them to the voters, claiming they are covering up for some supposed crime.
That has to be the funniest statement I have ever read here. I get it now. Newt only admitted to it so YOU could demagogue this issue to death. The funniest part of the whole thing is you actually think you have facts.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 06:34 pm
parados wrote:
I get it now. Newt only admitted to it so YOU could demagogue this issue to death.

Nope. This is one Democrat who rejects the demagogy (and is proud of it).

parados wrote:
The funniest part of the whole thing is you actually think you have facts.

The truth is funny?

Maybe you are just uncomfortable in seeing the DNC's McCarthyist tactics denounced???

If so, I suggest the best path is to stop trying to defend the indefensible.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 06:44 pm
oralloy wrote:

The truth is funny?

No, your fiction is. :wink:
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 06:56 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
oralloy wrote:

The truth is funny?

Nothing I've said is fiction.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 07:04 pm
oralloy wrote:
Dookiestix wrote:
oralloy wrote:

The truth is funny?

You're right. I meant to say "science fiction..."
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 07:14 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Dookiestix wrote:
oralloy wrote:

The truth is funny?

You're right. I meant to say "science fiction..."

That's an odd claim. Nothing on this topic seems to be scientific, or related to the SciFi genre.

I do confess to being a SciFi fan though....

(Save Star Trek!)
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 07:42 pm
Orallroy,

Will you start another thread to talk about Newt plz?

If you'd like to talk about DeLay's sinking ship, I'd like to hear you respond to the fact that he was admonished by a unanimous vote before bipartisan committee no less than four times, and I'd like to hear your explanation as to why that constitutes a 'Democrat smear job.'

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 10:26 pm
Tom Delay has committed several acts that are not only ethically and morally wrong but they are possibly illegal. Congress has rebuked him for these acts. Congress has witheld judgement in one case until the legal ramifications are known.

I find it interesting that the GOP felt they had to change the rules to protect one of their leaders if indicted and then were so proud of their action that they refused to say which way they voted.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 03:28 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Will you start another thread to talk about Newt plz?

You'd prefer to demonize DeLay without anyone posting examples to show that it is nothing but a witch hunt???

Cycloptichorn wrote:
I'd like to hear you respond to the fact that he was admonished by a unanimous vote before bipartisan committee no less than four times,

oralloy wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
and I'd like to hear your explanation as to why that constitutes a 'Democrat smear job.'

When someone is the target of witch hunters that are persecuting them over false charges, it counts as a smear job.

When the witch hunters are the DNC, it counts as a Democratic smear job.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 03:33 am
parados wrote:
Tom Delay has committed several acts that are not only ethically and morally wrong but they are possibly illegal.

Well, he was accused of doing so by a body that is well-known for making false allegations of a similar nature against Republican leaders.

parados wrote:
I find it interesting that the GOP felt they had to change the rules to protect one of their leaders if indicted and then were so proud of their action that they refused to say which way they voted.

They were taking a stand against DNC demagogy, but they also wish to minimize any demagogy that the DNC might aim at them for taking a stand.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 09:20 am
Oralloy, here are the rules of your logic as I've been able to understand them:

a) All charges of wrong doing against Republicans are false.
b) All false allegations come from Democrats, even the ones that come from Republicans.
c) Any admission of guilt by a Republican was given under duress.

Have I got that about right?
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 11:32 am
Try re-reading Amendments V, VI, and VII. Let justice be served.
0 Replies