Why Go On?

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2018 05:25 am
It was stated in The Gazette published in Montreal Canada that some studies have shown that for every death by suicide, 200 people have attempted suicide and 400 [other] people have thought about it. What do you think is causing people to have so much despair? And what can effectively be done to help these ones?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,038 • Replies: 19
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2018 05:27 am
@anthony1312002,
This is why we have therapists. There's a whole discipline (a few, actually) devoted to the care of these folks.
anthony1312002

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2018 06:18 am
@jespah,
True, that resource does exist. But it is only effective if people are willing to take advantage of it. Looking at the 2 most recent notable suicides, they seemed to wall themselves off from help.
jespah

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2018 06:25 am
@anthony1312002,
That's because depression is a horrible liar and it tells people they are not worth caring for themselves and not worth saving. They don't bother to think about tomorrow because depression is telling them that tomorrow will be worse.

These aren't the only 2 suicides this year, not by a long shot. There are a lot of people who are suffering.

People losing their health insurance, and being stigmatized for seeking help, is not doing anyone any favors. Marked increased incivility does not help, either.

It's often up to people who are okay to help those who are not okay, and at least make an effort to get them treatment. It's important to check in with people and see if they are all right.

The problem is, we're all busy as all get out. Do you have the time to check in on everyone you know, multiple times per month? Hell, most people can't even find the time to send out more than a generalized "thanks for all the birthday greetings" on Facebook.

Plus most of us aren't trained to recognize the signs of depression.

But being kind to our fellow human beings should be on everyone's agenda.
anthony1312002

Reply Tue 12 Jun, 2018 08:58 am
@jespah,
So true, so true. People are in allot of cases too consumed with self to notice others. Not to mention just the everyday grind we all are submitted to daily. And combined with the external pressures you just mentioned, its a wonder that we all haven't lost our minds. I read something the other day in the Bible that said this:

Ecclesiastes 7:7 "But oppression can drive the wise one into madness"

One definition for oppression is: "the feeling of being heavily burdened, mentally or physically, by troubles, adverse conditions, anxiety"

You know, in reading that text I realized something comforting. That the Creator understands people more than we know. That when a person does commit this act God knows better than anyone that deep depression can drive a person to do things they normally would not do. He understands them.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2018 09:26 am
I think in some of these cases - people hide their depression well. How often do you hear "...they showed no signs ..." or similar. Like what is said here - the average person is not trained to recognize signs.

You have a friend that seems happy adjusted and never seems down - would you know they might be depressed?

I think the idea of being kind to others is key -- not just that helps people feel better about themself, but also that they may be willing to open up to someone who seems kind and non-judgmental.

My daughter had a friend who was "cutting" herself. This friend was able to tell my daughter, but only under the promise she would not tell anyone else. She had someone she felt she could confine in - fortunately it bothered my daughter enough and I could tell something was really bothering her. I got her to tell but saying a promise is ok to keep as long as no one is getting hurt.

But what happens to those who feel there is no one they can confine in ? You don't see they are depressed on the surface and they feel there is no one to speak to?

Perhaps just by being nice to others it makes it easier for someone in that position to feel it is safe to talk with someone.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 13 Jun, 2018 11:57 pm
Humans are pack animals. We are not programmed to be so isolated. It wasn't long ago that most of us lived in places where everybody knew your business, now we live in cities where nobody seems to give a damn. We may think we like to go home to an empty house, but we don't. We have glorified introverted behavior at the cost of community. I read recently that there is a directly correlation between the rise in anxiety and the growing lack of empathy.
Add to that, global warming. They've done studies that show every degree above normal does something to the human psyche.
People become agitated. Wars break out. Droughts, famine, more severe weather patterns don't help.
Plus we live in dangerous times. The 'leader' of the free world is enamored with dictators all the while thumbing his nose at democracy and allies.
I believe there is a general sense of doom and gloom. All of these add to peoples depression.

anthony1312002

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2018 10:13 am
@Ceili,
So what do you think can be done?
0 Replies

Agent1741

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2018 10:17 pm
@anthony1312002,
How long have you got? I saw a therapist & she was as much use as a chocolate fireguard!!! I called them numerous times for a refill on a script & all I got was "the doctor is on vacation etc" . One day I called them after I left work and was driving there and after about 10 minutes of being on hold they cut me off. I arrived there a few minutes later asked for the office manager & within 2 minutes she had a new asshole. I did not hold back & that was said in the waiting area. I wanted other patients to know just how much I "valued" there "care" I never went back & will not ever!! So I have abosolutely NO confidence in therapists!! Money for old rope!!!
jespah

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2018 06:36 am
@Agent1741,
Or you could try another one and not judge an entire profession based on one lousy representative of it.
Agent1741

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2018 07:03 am
@jespah,
I did have another whilst she was nicer I still largely thought it was a waste of time & money. Currently I have no insurance so its academic anyway & like the medications I largely feel its a waste of time & money.
anthony1312002

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2018 07:22 am
@Agent1741,
I can understand your frustration. But maybe this thought from the Bible could help. Isaiah 41:10 "Do not be afraid, for I am with you. Do not be anxious, for I am your God. I will fortify you, yes, I will help you, I will really hold on to you with my right hand of righteousness."

I reveals that far from being indifferent, the Creator cares deeply about us and promises to provide the support we need as well as a reason to hope that things will improve in the near future.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2018 03:45 pm
@anthony1312002,
Doesn't that go against your theology that the Creator is employing a hands-off approach to his creation until his direct intervention in some near future, though?
anthony1312002

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 08:46 am
@InfraBlue,
Hi InfraBlue, not really. While Jehovah is allowing humans to self govern themselves this does not mean that he will not help us if we genuinely call to him for aid. Just as a loving parent will give a child freedom to choose a certain course, even if it is not the best choice, wouldn't it be loving on the parents part to still render assistance to that child if after hurting itself it asked for help?

It is similar with Jehovah. Although he has not intervened in mans affairs, allowing a self determined course, this has been done to allow humans to see the truthfulness of Jeremiah 10:23 "I well know, O Jehovah, that man’s way does not belong to him. It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step."

Simply put, humans were not designed to govern themselves without his assistance. So for humans to see this for themselves he has allowed them to take this course. The results have been obvious. But even while allowing this he still comes to the aid of those who call upon him. He is not indifferent to our suffering but knows that allowing it is necessary for all to understand that humans need him.
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 02:56 pm
@anthony1312002,
So, he'll come to the aid of those who call upon him, but then again, he might not so as to allow them to suffer so that they can understand that they need him. That's pretty convoluted.
anthony1312002

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2018 08:03 am
@InfraBlue,
No, he will always come to the aid of those who trust in him. But for those who feel that they have no need of his assistance he allows them to experience for themselves how impossible it is for humans to direct themselves without his help.
anthony1312002

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2018 08:11 am
@InfraBlue,
Really, when you think about it. It really isn't unreasonable for the Creator to take this course. Actually its a common fact that some people don't learn lessons until they experience either success or failure. Thus humans have been allowed to experiment with many and varied forms of government, from dictatorships, monarchies, democracies, you name it humans have tried it. But none of these attempts at self government have yielded the results some many long for. Complete peace, and end to hunger and death and the like.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2018 11:42 pm
@anthony1312002,
So, only those who trust in him always get his aid in suffering. I think that renders the term "trust in him" meaningless.
anthony1312002

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2018 07:30 am
@InfraBlue,
On the surface it might appear that way, but when taking into account how he provides for mankind as a whole, providing food and rain, even to those who don't trust in him as highlighted at Matthew 5:43-45, it becomes clear that he does care for the human family as a whole. But he gives special attention to those who show by the decisions they make each day that they feel that his way of doing this is truly the best course to follow. That they need his guidance and direction to be truly successful.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2018 10:32 pm
@anthony1312002,
So, he's like a mafia boss. He forces people to do his bidding or else they suffer the consequences.

You're also implying that those who do his bidding don't suffer.
0 Replies