seeking advice on a guy's mixed messages: words vs. actions

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 02:10 pm
I've been dating a guy for 7 weeks. The first few weeks we went out to eat, he invited me over to watch movies that he rented, he invited me to run errands with him, and he was very affectionate. Then he stopped initiating physical contact and he called less frequently. A few weeks ago, on a Thursday, I mentioned to him that I had the following Monday off of work. He was going out of town for the weekend, and he told me that his plane got in Monday afternoon. He said "Let's get together Monday". Well, on Monday he didn't call. On Tuesday I called him, but his voice mail came on, so I left a message. In my message I said that I guess saying "let's get together Monday" and not calling me was his way of sending the message that he doesn't want to see me, I've been getting mixed messages, and I'm confused. I didn't know what time his plane got in or how much time he needed to unpack or unwind from his trip. I also said if you don't want to see me or talk to me anymore, just tell me because I'm a big girl and I can take it - just don't pull a disappearing act on me.

He called me back the next day and told me that he's not playing games, he's the type of person that says what's on his mind, he's not doing a disappearing act, he was tired Monday and he went to bed early, and he's been really busy (which is true - he's renovating his house, working on a summer trip overseas for students at the school where he teaches, and he owns a business). Then he asked me to go to a movie the next day, and he called me the next day. When I read the list of movies that were playing, he said that none of them sounded too good. I told him that I honestly didn't like the movies that were playing, either. He asked if it was ok if we saw a movie early next week. He called 5 days later (he had friends visiting from out of town over the weekend) and we ended up seeing a movie. After the movie he asked me if I wanted to go to a bar down the street and have a drink, so we went and had a drink. At the end of the date he gave me a really tight, really long hug and a kiss, thanked me for going to the movie, and said something like "we'll talk again soon". That was last week on Wednesday. I called him 2 days later and left a message on his voice mail ("just calling to say hi, I hope everything is going well with your home renovation and your travel itineraries, talk to you later"). It's 6 days after I left that message, and I haven't heard from him. The other times that I called him and left a message on his voice mail, he called back the same day.

I don't understand. I don't want to be a pest and call again. I gave him an out and he chose not to take it. He could have at least called and said "I got your message, I'm busy with such-and-such, I'll talk to you later". If he's not playing games, he's not disappearing, and he says what's on his mind, then what is he doing? What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,560 • Replies: 5
No top replies

JPB

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 03:08 pm
I think you should start looking for a new boyfriend if you've been sitting home waiting for him to call. If your life is full of other entertainments and you don't mind the occasional get together then all is well with the world and you can continue to go on with your life and get together with him every so often.

It sounds like you are looking for something more on-going and regular. It doesn't sound like you're going to get it from this guy. It's been 6 days. Don't be a pest, take the hint and either start dating someone else if the amount of contact he is offering is less than you need or add him to your list of friends that you get together with occasionally and keep him at that level.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 03:41 pm
He is playing games with you. The game of "she'll be there when I want her to be and not there when I don't want her to be." Are you giving him sex? If yes, maybe that's why he is still calling every now and then. If not, then maybe that's all he wants and because he isn't getting it, he's not calling you on a regular basis. In either case, I'd walk away. This guy might not be a bad guy, but he just doesn't want what you want.
0 Replies

Atlantis

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 04:55 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Are you giving him sex? If yes, maybe that's why he is still calling every now and then. If not, then maybe that's all he wants and because he isn't getting it, he's not calling you on a regular basis.

We've had sex, but after we stopped having sex he still called. We've had sex twice - or attempted to - he couldn't get all the way in either time. Not that's he's exceptionally large: he's only the 2nd guy I've had sex with, and the first didn't get in too far, either. With both guys I was tense because I was in too much pain to relax. Anyway, with this guy, he still invited me over a few times and I spend the night without him attempting to initiate sex. I figured he didn't want to have sex because he either wanted to wait until he thought I would be relaxed or because he lost interest altogether.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 04:57 pm
Go to a local bookstore and find a book called "He's Just Not Into You" - it's not worth buying, but a quick read thru and you will get the picture.

Trust me - when a guy is truly interested you will not have to ask the questions you posted here.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 04:58 pm
Re: seeking advice on a guy's mixed messages: words vs. acti
Atlantis wrote:
I don't understand. I don't want to be a pest and call again. I gave him an out and he chose not to take it. He could have at least called and said "I got your message, I'm busy with such-and-such, I'll talk to you later". If he's not playing games, he's not disappearing, and he says what's on his mind, then what is he doing? What do you think?

What a nice, clear post! I would GUESS (that's all I can do) that he has lost interest in the relationship, who cares why....someone else, other obligations, he's decided he's gay, whatever. I would also guess he was just too afraid to tell you the truth, and misled you not out of meanness, but out of his own fears of being honest & facing the consequences.

The old saw about "Actions speak louder than words" is very true, in my opinion. In this case: ignore his words, observe his actions.

If you use the internet, you can have a new date (if that's what you want) in a few days. That's what I'd be doing if I were you. But then, of course, I'm not you!
0 Replies