The Trouble With Labels

snood

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 03:41 pm
I understand that categories are useful for economy of thought and speech. My discomfort comes from the kneejerk reaction (and just to be clear, I know I sometimes do it) that fires a not-meant-to-be-flattering name for "people like you". It is limiting, and polarizing; it has a numbing effect on the exchange of ideas, and it makes more remote the chances of our seeing one anothers' individuality. In the already strange world of cyber-relationship, I think we need less, not more shorthand in our tool boxes of people skills.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 06:57 am
hey joe...just thought I'd pass on this AP headline as exemplar of nuance in jurisprudence...

Quote:
A man who says his former lover deceived him by getting pregnant using semen obtained through oral sex can sue for emotional distress -- but not theft, an appeals court has ruled.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 07:21 am
MG:-

It's gleaning.She's a glaneuse.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 07:39 am
Which would make sp a splaneuse?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 07:43 am
For your edification I will quote Dr Spengler.

"To name anything by a name is to win power over it.This is the essence of primitive man's art of magic-the evil powers are constrained by naming them,and the enemy is weakened or killed by coupling certain magic procedures with his name."

And-

"In the mysticism of all primitive periods,to KNOW
God means to conjure him,to make him favourable,to appropriate him inwardly.
This is achieved,principally,by means of a word,theNAME--the nomen which designates and CALLS UP the "numen"--and also by ritual practices of secret potency; and the subtlest,as well as the most powerful,form of this defence is causal and systematic knowledge,delimitation by label and number."

And

"By a picture of TIME the actual is changed into the transitory."

Taken from Meaning of Numbers X1

Getting a bit close to voodoo is this label thing.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 07:50 am
He saw an animal that liked to snort,
Horns on his head and they weren't too short.
It looked like there wasn't nothin' that he couldn't pull.
"Ah,think I'll call it a bull.

Man Gave Names To All The Animals.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 07:58 am
Is that stuff you're smokin' legal, spendius? Very Happy
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 08:01 am
no no, Snood, he comes by it naturally......(don't be put off by Spendius, he's just showing off.)

Although, I'll admit he is trying to learn us somethun.......uh, I mean edifiy
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 08:07 am
number six
number six
number six
number six
number six
number six
number nine.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 08:24 am
snoody

sp is smack on the money here. In the beginning was the word. Some things are difficult to swallow and digest, and if we can't absorb them in that manner, we go over to option #2...we wrap them up in a cocoon of conceptualization then either stab them through the heart with "You poopy-pants!" or we raise our posteriors to them and signify we are ourselves available for a species of stabbing and just hope that favors follow the favor. It's all a negotiation tactic.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 08:29 am
post scriptum

The common primate behavior in demonstrating subservience to a more dominant group member is to turn and 'present' (lift one's bum up to show you are available for penetration) and though we don't talk about it in polite company, the behavior and body position is remarkably well reflected in our positions of prayer.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 08:41 am
dyslexia wrote:
number six
number six
number six
number six
number six
number six
number nine.

Dys, that's a number 342.......how advanced you've become in your cuddly-bear role. Keep it up, we may get somewhere with this.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 08:41 am
blatham wrote:
post scriptum

The common primate behavior in demonstrating subservience to a more dominant group member is to turn and 'present' (lift one's bum up to show you are available for penetration) and though we don't talk about it in polite company, the behavior and body position is remarkably well reflected in our positions of prayer.

You old poopy pants!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 09:01 am
snood:-

"Legal" is a label.It is another collective for that vast range of activities which the upper-classes have invented to provide for the eradication of disturbances to that way of life to which they are accustomed."Illegal" is another collective for that even vaster range of activities which we of the lower orders would engage in were it not for the carrots and sticks.Otherwise there would be no point to the categories.It would be silly to make laws about things we didn't wish to do I feel and it follows that the law books are an excellent guide to natural behaviour.

I smoke Golden Virginia.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 09:08 am
spendius wrote:

"Legal" is a label.It is another collective for that vast range of activities which the upper-classes have invented to provide for the eradication of disturbances to that way of life to which they are accustomed."Illegal" is another collective for that even vaster range of activities which we of the lower orders would engage in were it not for the carrots and sticks.Otherwise there would be no point to the categories.It would be silly to make laws about things we didn't wish to do I feel and it follows that the law books are an excellent guide to natural behaviour.

I smoke Golden Virginia.

I gotta hand it to ya, spend - you never meet a subject you can't suffocate with obtuse verbiage. That must take some kind of talent... or at least persistence.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 09:43 am

I go out of my way to avoid "obtuse verbiage".That last post of mine was as clean as a whistle.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 09:45 am

I suppose I could have said that we are all being stuffed.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 09:47 am

But that's how hooligans talk and nobody takes any notice of them.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 09:47 am
to each his own...
One man's "clean as a whistle", is another man's chop logical twaddle.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 10:03 am
I certainly DO take note of high hooliganisms. "A case in point" being a case in point.
0 Replies