Therapy Part Two

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 10:08 pm
Ok, well for all those who have read my other threads, I promised them that I would write and talk about what happend at our first therapy session. So here it is:

The therapist basically told him what I have been telling him and his mother has been telling him for years now. She added a few more things in there that I have talked to him about but not as extensivly. One thing she brought up is that all his immaturity and acting like a child towards me and the "poking" stems from him acting towards me as he did with his 3 other brothers. In his family it was always a fight for recognition and just fighting in general. So he acts as though I am like his brother...or sometimes mother. A funny thing the therapist said was something I myself have said to him as well. In the session she allowed him to talk about how he feels about the marriage and most of the key words in his sentences were "control," "my way." "how I want things to be done," "how I like it," and "I have expectations of her." She stopped him right in the middle and said to him "wow, I wish you could hear yourself right now."

Most of his complaints about the marriage were about how he "has to" (according to him) do the dishes all the time. To me, that sounds a lot like my brother and I fighting over who had to do the dishes when my mother asked us to when we were kids.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 593 • Replies: 2
No top replies

JPB

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 08:46 am
what happens next?
0 Replies

kitkat bar

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 12:48 am
Well basically, the next session will be one of us going. I haven't decided on who should go first, but I am thinking he should. If he goes first, she will be able to better understand his problems and concerns and when she sees me she will be asking me questions based on the knowledge she already knows. The reason I think I should not go first is because he doesn't need to be asked questions based on the knowledge she knows from me since I am pretty straight forward in our relationship and I tell him everything that is on my mind. He already knows my problems with him.
0 Replies