Understanding America and the Bush administration

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 02:19 pm
Usually with Walter, he's both right and humourous; I'd stake a pint on it.
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 02:36 pm
C.I.

It is evident that Walter is one of the "old hands" around here and he has a loyal following.

Walter, I would like to ask a serious question about a statement that was made by the author of the book that is the basis for this thread.

In one of the excerpts he said: Europe is POST nationalist...... and then went on to emphatically state that America is purely Nationalistic.

Do you agree with any of the above?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 02:40 pm

Now Walter, I think you are not doing your usual quality research.

Her Majesty is not the two billionth and seventy three million two hundend and twelve thousand two hundred and thirty third monarch since William I.

So I deduced it was in fact a TELEPHONE NUMBER.

So I rang it and Her Majesty said (or I think it was her, she had a very young voice)

Thank you for calling the Buckingham Palace booking office. We are sorry the office is now closed. Thank you for calling.

so I said, after I had stood to attention

"Your Majesty, it is my great honour to receive your recorded message by one of your tourist information staff. Are you by any chance related to anyone in Germany by the name of Hinteler?"

But you know what? She never answered.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 02:45 pm
I know Jenny's number if that will help.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 02:47 pm
Yup. It's definitely 867-5309 ... unless she's changed it recently.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 02:50 pm
rayban1 wrote:
It is evident that Walter is one of the "old hands" around here and he has a loyal following.

c.i. is here as long as I am (nearly at least), we know from Abuzz and personally.

I sincerely doubt that anyone here has 'loyal following'.

And especially I don't have one - I even don't follow my principles myself all the time.

rayban1 wrote:
In one of the excerpts he said: Europe is POST nationalist...... and then went on to emphatically state that America is purely Nationalistic.

Do you agree with any of the above?

I haven't read the book. I don't think, it would make sense to agree or disagree on just this one sentence, not knowing the context and e.g., how the author defined 'Europe' there.

Generally speaking - and related to the EU - I think, we have overcome the nationalism some time ago already.
'Regionalism' is even finished in most countries as well.

Nationalism isn't something, we are proud of, it's nauseating to the average German.
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 02:52 pm
Steve
May I share with you one of my carefully considered observations?

WANT TO KNOW WHEN A LEFTY IS LOSING ANY DISCUSSION..........he/she switches to humour!
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 02:53 pm
"I haven't read the book"

but its in the post to me.

so as soon as I've read it, I'll post it to you, and you can explain the big words Smile
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 02:56 pm
It would be okay, when I just could read the foreword on my stay in England - otherwise it will take too long until I'll get it (not referring neither to the Royal Mail nor the Deutsche Post here).
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 02:58 pm
well firstly Rayban I dont accept for one moment that I am a lefty, nor that I am losing any argument, nor that lefties resort to humour if they are losing any argument.

But if they do, its better than stomping around in a rage like the rightists, no?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 03:00 pm
ok maybe the title cover

if I've unwrapped it by then
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 03:01 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
rayban1 wrote:

c.i. is here as long as I am (nearly at least), we know from Abuzz and personally.

And especially I don't have one - I even don't follow my principles myself all the time.

Walter is unfailingly critical of error however small, but he is equally considerate and balanced in his views, Perhaps not a "loyal following", but he does indeed have many friends here.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 03:01 pm
At least "lefties" have humour. Smile
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 03:02 pm
You're too kind. (Busy, "saving-my-hometown", I suppose Laughing )
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 03:06 pm
Hey walter why have you exchanged a lighthouse for some scientific instrument that appears to be impaled in your forehead?

Its rather scary, like you have us all under observation.

Which of course is impossible....unless....you dont really do you?
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 03:11 pm
Walter wrote:

<Nationalism isn't something, we are proud of, it's nauseating to the average German.>

Most Americans feel the same way about Nationalism Walter and that is why I find it offensive that Blatham would consider using any author who would accuse the American people of being Nationalistic in our motives for anything, and give him such acclaim. I just don't understand why anyone would expend so much effort to attach the label of Nationalistic on all Americans who don't agree with him and the latest conspiracy theories.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 03:12 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
rayban1 wrote:

Walter is unfailingly critical of error however small, but he is equally considerate and balanced in his views, Perhaps not a "loyal following", but he does indeed have many friends here.

Indeed.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 03:16 pm
rayban1 wrote:

Most Americans feel the same way about Nationalism Walter

Might be. But there aren't more than a good handful of them on this site.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 03:21 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Which of course is impossible....unless....you dont really do you?

Yes, I couldn't resist, when this http://www.mi5.gov.uk/files/images/emb.jpg nice lady offered to develop my films totally free - if I did her a small favour.

So I send my films to
The Enquiries Desk
PO Box 3255
London SW1P 1AE

and get the free prints back.
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 03:45 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
"I haven't read the book"

but its in the post to me.

so as soon as I've read it, I'll post it to you, and you can explain the big words Smile

Steve

It isn't necessary to read the book.......just read the first excerpt that Blatham posted.
0 Replies