DOES THIS MAKE YOU AS MAD AS IT MADE ME?

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 05:06 pm
This past week, the President took an important first step to remedy class action suit abuses. The following, however, made my blood boil. I think we need a complete overhaul of the entire judicial system:

Quote:
The judge is clearly revolted by what he believes the law requires him to do, and he searches for some constitutional argument that would allow him to strike down a law that is sending a 25-year-old nonviolent offender with no criminal record to prison for what may well be the rest of his life.

In sentencing Angelos, Cassell pointed out that he would have gotten a far lighter sentence if he had been a terrorist who detonated a bomb, or if he had been convicted of second-degree murder, or if he had raped a child.

The entire piece:

Campos: When our justice is unjust
February 22, 2005

In 1988, Brent J. Brents raped a 6-year-old boy by luring him into a secluded spot with a tale about a lost cat. Eight days later, Brents raped a 9-year-old girl at knifepoint, while threatening to kill her if she cried out.

Brents, who already had a long criminal record, was sent to prison, where he served 15 years of a 20-year term. Last summer, state sentencing laws required him to be released, even though he had

Now he is accused of molesting an 8-year-old boy, and raping two grade-school girls and their grandmother, as well as three other adult women.

In the summer of 2002 Weldon Angelos, a 23-year-old with no criminal record, sold $350 worth of marijuana on three different occasions to a man who turned out to be a police informant.

At one of the sales, Angelos had a gun strapped to his ankle. At the others, he had one hidden in his car. (Angelos never brandished the gun, nor did he engage in any other violent behavior).

Last November, in an extraordinary 67-page opinion, U.S. District Judge Paul Cassell sentenced Angelos to 55 years in federal prison, without the possibility of parole.

The opinion was extraordinary in that it called upon President Bush to use his powers of executive clemency to reduce what Cassell considered a barbaric sentence - a sentence that our so-called federal sentencing "guidelines" (somewhere, George Orwell is laughing grimly) required Cassell to impose.

Cassell's opinion, which is well worth reading in its entirety, is both anguished and courageous. The judge is clearly revolted by what he believes the law requires him to do, and he searches for some constitutional argument that would allow him to strike down a law that is sending a 25-year-old nonviolent offender with no criminal record to prison for what may well be the rest of his life.

That he is unable to find it is a tribute to Cassell's intellectual integrity, whether one agrees with his legal conclusions or not.

Cassell is no bleeding-heart liberal. I remember the talk he gave at the University of Colorado law school more than a decade ago, when he was on the market for a legal academic job: it was a frontal assault on the Miranda warning that offended enough of the faculty to preclude him from getting a job offer, despite his obvious talent.

When he was appointed to the federal bench two years ago, Cassell's conservative credentials were considered impeccable. But even the hardest-headed conservative can be horrified by the sheer insanity of the war on drugs.

In sentencing Angelos, Cassell pointed out that he would have gotten a far lighter sentence if he had been a terrorist who detonated a bomb, or if he had been convicted of second-degree murder, or if he had raped a child.

Even in a nation that has found room to put 2 million of its citizens behind bars, there is only so much space in our prisons. Brent J. Brents didn't serve all of his original sentence, in part, because there simply wasn't enough room to lock up everyone who our system says ought to be kept off the street.

It's difficult to express enough outrage at the idea that we release serial child rapists so that nonviolent sellers of a largely harmless drug can be locked up for 55 years.

Paul Cassell, to his credit, has stayed loyal to the principle that legislatures, not judges, should make the laws. But it's yet more to his credit that he doesn't hide his disgust at the inhuman absurdity of some of those laws, even as he fulfills his oath to carry them out.
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/news_columnists/article/0,1299,DRMN_86_3565358,00.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,391 • Replies: 28
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 05:13 pm
Grrrr.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 05:19 pm
YES. I thought the Supreme Court struck down mandatory minimum sentences not too long ago. I think our policies regarding illegal drugs are practically draconian.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 05:47 pm
I don't know which is worse. . .the injustice done a young non-violent adult or letting a dangerous sex offender loose to rape and rape again.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 05:58 pm
Both are equally bad. In the case of Brents, though, there's now several more victims. Hopefully, they'll throw away the key this time around.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 06:06 pm
Yep, totally in agreement with you here, an outrage. Is it b/c of the "three strikes and you're out" rule ("sold $350 worth of marijuana on three different occasions to a man who turned out to be a police informant")?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 06:27 pm
Based on this which could be a gaffe or could be true:
Quote:
Cassell's opinion, which is well worth reading in its entirety, is both anguished and courageous. The judge is clearly revolted by what he believes the law requires him to do, and he searches for some constitutional argument that would allow him to strike down a law that is sending a 25-year-old nonviolent offender with no criminal record to prison for what may well be the rest of his life.

This would suggest that the guy wasn't convicted until the last arrest? If so the three-strikes law would not apply. Perhaps there is a particularly strict rule re mixing firearms and illegal drug sales. You really can't tell from the article. Hopefully the governor or the president will intervene in this one.

The repeat sex offender is of no small concern to me either. Does your state have a sex offender registration law? There are more than 1900 of these creeps in the New Mexico registry and a huge chunk of them live in my town. They are in every zip code and they range from the usual perverts (flashers, etc.) to aggravated rape, child rape, murder, etc. Many many repeat offenders. I don't know what's worse--knowing they live all around or not knowing they are there.

But surely the sentence should be more severe than that given to a non-violent drug sale incident.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 06:32 pm
Re: DOES THIS MAKE YOU AS MAD AS IT MADE ME?
Foxfyre wrote:
This past week, the President took an important first step to remedy class action suit abuses. The following, however, made my blood boil. I think we need a complete overhaul of the entire judicial system:

What does this story have to do with the judicial system? The judicial system worked perfectly here. You wouldn't want the judge to deviate from the law, would you?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 06:42 pm
No, I wouldn't Joe. I am 100% against judges overriding the law of the land or making up new law that 'suits them better'. But in cases like this, the law should be changed. Perhaps I should have phrased it differently. Aren't laws part of the judicial system? Maybe not.
0 Replies

photoman

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 07:20 am
Agreed
Our judicial system is a travesty. It needs to be revamped in a big way. We have laws on the books still requiring that someone be walking in front of vehicles with a red flag if they have a wide load.....like that's going to work on the Interstate. The so-called "blue laws" are unbelievable and I suspect they could get rid of 90% of them with NO impact on society. Get rid of the old, useless laws and work on a grass roots program to create better citizens. Where does that begin? It begins with children. Proper parenting is so important to raising decent people. Does it solve all the problems? Of course not, but it does wonders for raising good citizens. If you wait to reform someone after they are a criminal, it's much more difficult to see gains from the efforts. The most formative years for people is when they are very young children. Why don't we start there and then I think we will begin to see a decline in the prison population. It'll take time but anything worth doing is worth doing right.

Sorry for the slight deviation.

Good day!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 07:36 am
Foxfyre wrote:
No, I wouldn't Joe. I am 100% against judges overriding the law of the land or making up new law that 'suits them better'. But in cases like this, the law should be changed. Perhaps I should have phrased it differently. Aren't laws part of the judicial system? Maybe not.

I think the laws come from the legislative branch. It was Congress who came up with the mandatory minimum sentencing rules back in the late 80's? -- not sure. I'll go look now, but I thought that the Supreme Court recently came down against them.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 07:38 am
It looks like I was wrong. Apparently the Supreme Court ruling was about sentencing guidelines and not mandatory minimums.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/211060_sentencing08.html
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 07:46 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Aren't laws part of the judicial system? Maybe not.

Well, on the some other threads I've learnt that in the USA everone knows everything about the American constitution etc . (You were on this thread, isn't it :wink: )
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 08:04 am
No, Walter, but in the USA some of us actually have had some schooling in Constitution.....and a thwap to you for being a smart aleck Smile

Doesn't Germany have laws that aren't in your Constitution? Oh, I forgot, Germany doesn't have one.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 08:06 am
This whole issue, however, does illustrate how idiotic the system has become in some areas. If we truly do have a government of the people, however, if enough people get mad, we can fix it. This certainly isn't the only case where the system is totally out of whack.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 08:08 am
Drugs should be a far less offense than murder or rape. You commit murder you get life, (other than involuntary, which would be a lesser sentence). No questions asked, no parole. Rape/sexually assult someone, get life. There should be no tolerance in this world for these people. Drugs are so minor in the grand scheme of things. I'd rather have a junkie on the streets than a murderer.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 08:21 am
Or a rapist. I tend to agree Bella though I would restrict life sentences for First Degree murder in most cases. As for sex offenders, I have seen no evidence that such people are likely to be rehabilitated or rendered harmless--they need to be in prison or at least isolated.

On non violent and otherwise law abiding drug offenders, I agree our laws are pretty draconian. But then again, I don't want to make it easier or less risky to peddle drugs to kids and legalizing them for other people has not seemed to work out all that well in other countries either, but when a huge chunk of our prison and jail populations are due to drug offenses, there is something very wrong with the picture. There must be a best solution if we could just find it.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 09:36 am
Foxfyre wrote:

The judicial system, in broad outline, consists of judges, juries, courts, and lawyers. You're talking about laws, not about the judicial system.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 09:38 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Doesn't Germany have laws that aren't in your Constitution? Oh, I forgot, Germany doesn't have one.

Oooooh, BUUUUURN!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 09:40 am
Well if he can be silly, so can I. But I did learn this week that Germany doesn't have a constituiton.
0 Replies