Arg! Word help, por favor!

Orglif

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 07:11 am
Alright, so maybe it was a mistake to be an English major and a pothead at the same time. *sighs*

I'm looking for a word. The definition of this word would be something like: "a debate in which no participant may be verified as ultimately correct (i.e. theology), though held for the purpose of gleaning new insight or information."

Christ, it's a sad day when you suddenly realize you've lost your vocabulary, and you look back on the essays you wrote in college only to find yourself totally lost by all the big, Latin words.

Anyways, I hope that definition is clear enough. For some reason, 'traipsing' came to mind, though I know it's not the word I'm seeking (though possibly similar in sound or spelling?).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,798 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 07:43 am
You are not thinking of polemics, are you?
0 Replies

Orglif

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 08:25 am
No, though I appriciate the attempt... Smile

*continues banging head on desk*
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 08:29 am
Quote:
"....held for the purpose of gleaning new insight or information."

Brainstorming would fit the last half of your definition, but not the first. Are we getting warmer? Confused
0 Replies

Orglif

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 08:40 am
Yes, sort-of. Imagine two people debating theology: both of them understand that there is no absolute truth that can be reached, and both of them have had the same debate a thousand times before. They continue to debate, though, because they know that through debating, there's a chance they'll learn something new on the topic, or possibly discover a new, previously unthought idea. I'm positive there's a word for this (I've used it, I'm sure), but I've been looking for days and can't seem to find it.

*stress building*
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 10:21 am
Sounds a bit like 'philosophy'. Wink
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 12:09 pm
Like, you know, a Socratic dialogue or something... (Were they called dialogues? I was a pothead theater major, so I'm worse off than you are.)
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 12:28 pm
Wow, patiodog, we have more in common than I realized...

Orglif - dialectic?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 01:06 pm
(ah hah, a stage manager. the eye of the storm. "god.")
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 05:02 pm
Relativism?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 05:15 pm
Entry: debate
Function: verb
Definition: argue
Synonyms: agitate, altercate, answer, bandy, bump heads, canvass, cogitate, confab, confute, consider, contend, contest, controvert, cross swords, deliberate, demonstrate, differ, discept, disprove, dispute, hammer, hash, hash over, hassle, kick around, kick around, knock around, lock horns, moot, oppose, pettifog, prove, question, reason, rebut, refute, rehash, rhubarb, set to, talk back, talk game, thrash out, toss around, wrangle
Antonyms: agree, concur, go along
Concept: argument

Entry: debate
Function: noun
Definition: discussion
Synonyms: agitation, altercation, argument, argumentation, blah-blah, bone, bull yard, cogitation, consideration, contention, contest, controversy, controverting, deliberation, dialectic, disputation, dispute, flak session, forensic, hassle, match, meditation, mooting, polemic, powwow, rap, rap session, rebutting, reflection, refuting, tif, words, wrangle
Antonyms: agreement
Concept: discussion
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 05:23 pm
rhubarb, eh?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 05:26 pm
Must be a midwestern term. Ever played euchre?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 05:38 pm
Sure have. Tons of euchre and pinochle (double-deck, of course) growing up.

Weirdly enough, the first group of people I fell in with in Seattle played Euchre in a bar in the afternoons. Don't think I'd ever met anyone else before that who played it outside of my family.
0 Replies

Orglif

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 11:20 pm
Heh. Well thanks to you all for at least trying... Wink Unfortunately, I haven't heard the word mentioned yet, but I swear I'm gonna keep looking until I find it. I'll have this throbbing pain of ignorance in my head until I figure it out.

Thanks again. Smile
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 11:45 pm
I have to admit of some familiarity with the sensation, Orglif.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 01:53 am
Sorry I can't help you Orglif, but I did want to welcome you to A2K :-)
0 Replies

Orglif

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 07:38 am
Well, thank you kindly... I appreciate it. Smile
0 Replies

nelsonn

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 09:46 pm
bull session
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 09:54 pm
Orglif wrote:
I'll have this throbbing pain of ignorance in my head until I figure it out.

Hee hee! I know just what you mean. Happens to me all the time. Heck, it's been happening to me since I saw this thread, seeing as how I have NO clue. Confused (Not Socratic?)

And yes, welcome!
0 Replies