Jazz Fest, New Orleans

JPB

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 03:57 pm
It looks like Mr B and I are going to Jazz Fest in late April (sans the ladies :wink: ). We've been to New Orleans a few times for conventions and are familiar with the French Quarter and the River Walk (is it reopened yet?), but we've never been to Jazz Fest.

Any thoughts on where to stay, what to do, what to skip, etc?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 981 • Replies: 7
No top replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 12:36 am
I went to jazz fest two years ago, if there is a big name band you want to see stake out a spot early. Bring a blanket for the field and plenty of water, it was in the 90's when I was there.

Have you been to the street fests in Chicago in the summer? It is similar but on a much larger scale. There are booths with everything from art to jug band instruments to souvenirs.

You have been to New Orleans so you know how good the food is and there is plenty at the jazzfest.

We stayed in Metarie and drove there, if you are flying I remember there being a lot of cabs to get you to the fair grounds.

This site had a lot of valuable info. Right now they have a tentative list of who is playing, as it gets closer they have times schedules for all the stages (14 if I remember correctly)

Have a great time! I am thinking of going myself.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 12:40 pm
Which weekend are you going?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 12:45 pm
April 27 - May 1. I've spent the last two days trying to find accomodations. Airfare was outragous until I backed up to Wednesday. I'm still working on the hotel. My next step is to check out B&Bs.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 10:03 am
I have the flights and a place to stay, but I'm going to keep looking. We're booked into a place in the French Quarter because our friends are staying there but it's pretty steep. I took the reservation just to have it in case we don't find something else close by. I'm still going to look at B&Bs closer to the fairgrounds.

Sublime1, are you going the first weekend?
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 07:37 pm
Unfortunately I am not going to be able to make it this year.
It seemed feasible at first but I have two other trips lined up with friends so no one could make it to Jazz Fest.

If you have the chance get a muffalata at Mothers, it is off the beaten path a bit but well worth it. Any cab driver will know where its at.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 08:49 pm
I got the muffalata down there. It was a deli/store. I didn't like it, but heard it was something you had to get. Don't really like olives, so wasn't my thing.

On Bourbon St there's a restaurant called "Red Fish," and the Red Fish is awesome. I got the hickory grilled red fish, it was so good I flipped out and totally killed this guy on the way out.
http://www.redfishgrill.com/menu_detail.php?menu=7

You should also get severely drunk. Pretty easy to do down there.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 10:46 am
Yum, thanks Slappy - it looks delicious. I noticed it's a Brennan's restaurant. I once took a friend to the original Brennan's for breakfast. It was quite an experience. I'll suggest it to Mr. B and the others.
0 Replies