multiword verbs

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 11:48 am
Hi everybody,how often do you use multiword verbs in your writing and speaking ?.Or, would you prefer to use multiword verbs like give in , put an end to, have dinner, and put out instead of concede, finish, dine, and extinguish?

that was a long one Very Happy

Ok, if we take the sentence,

- I have a time here in A2K.

How would it be right to say?. have is an auxiliary verb, or have a time is a multiword verbal expression.Now, is adding adjective necessary here?, because it's up to me to give a description to the time.It's called subjective.

Am I right, or am I right ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 828 • Replies: 5
No top replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 02:08 pm
I'm not really clear on what you're asking.

"Have" can be an auxiliary verb, but it's not in your sample sentence. If you said "I have had a time here in A2K" then it would be considered an auxiliary verb. An adjective isn't necessary, but it would provide more information such as a "good" time or "bad" time.

Hope I didn't muddy the waters further.

BTW, could you be referring to infinitives in your question?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 03:13 pm
You seem to be referring to phrasal verbs and idioms.

They are common in English and especially so in American English.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 07:40 am
Hi Wooda. hi Craven, is this true or you are answering my question? Very Happy .

The question is simply about anyone use of multiwordverbs.There are two ways ( let's say ) of saying a sentence.For instance, you can say,

1) I always have dinner at that restaurant.

or

2) I always dine at that restaurant.

Now, in the first sentence have+dinner is called multiword verb , but in the second one it's only one verb.So, how often do you use this kind of multiword verbs?.We also use multiword verbs in idiomatic things like Craven said.

I hope that would give a clear idea.
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 08:33 am
I use both forms of verb use equally.

50% - 50%
0 Replies

silversturm

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 06:44 pm
Hi,

have+dinner is not a multiword verb. "have" is the verb and "dinner" is the direct object of that verb.

A multiword verb is like "to get up". They are almost always formed with a normal verb and a preposition. Some multiverb words can take objects and some can do without (just like any other verb).

Here's a link I found on Google (search on 'multiword'). You can also check out transitive verbs and intransitive verbs for clarification. I hope this helps.
0 Replies