How to find yourself spiritually in nature?

Sam560

Reply Fri 11 May, 2018 09:04 pm
I am looking to become spiritual and find myself and connect with nature.

My only questions are what should I do in nature to better connect? I am a member of a certain religion (rather not say) that requires I do all of this.

There are a lot of wooded areas around where I live and I'm wondering what my religious leaders mean by "find myself" in nature. I was told to go out into nature at night and "forest bathe", and I should do it barefoot and be in a safe area away from people.

That's all they will tell me.

Does anybody know if this is worth doing, and how would I connect with nature? Should I sit in a field, a tree, hug plants? Lol.
I also have to were a hood because of my religion for this. I don't know if this will be seen as odd, as I am a girl, but I don't want to draw unwanted attention or get into trouble with the law.

What should I do to better connect with nature and find my spiritual self?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,205 • Replies: 24
No top replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 12 May, 2018 07:17 am
@Sam560,
WATCH "SAMADHI" 1 & 2.

Available on Youtube & Android (Covenant).

If you 'truly' want to know yourself.

Then I'll assist you further.
namaste
Sam560

Reply Sat 12 May, 2018 06:15 pm
@mark noble,
Okay. I just wanted to know what exactly I should do while I am "forest bathing". I know I'm supposed to spend time in nature and go somewhere I've never been before. Other members of my religion have suggested hiking while nude (don't want to do that) or doing other hippie type things.

A fellow religions follower told me to explore nature and meditate while walking. She told me she did this by smoking marijuana in a thick bush and while walking through densely forested areas, and swimming in a small local pond, but I wouldn't want to do that either.

She also said I could follow some train tracks that go into the woods from my town, but I walked past them once and there was a sign s. aying the tracks were railroad property and not to trespass. So I just don't want to get into trouble or seem suspicious.
fresco

Reply Sun 13 May, 2018 02:01 am
@Sam560,
NB. Meditational practices such as 'samadhi' involve the disolution of 'self ' which is considered to be illusory, rather than finding the self.

[In his rejection of such formal prescriptive meditational practices and their religious trappings. Krishnamurti argued that nonjudgemental self observation was the initial key to 'communing with nature', and all 'striving' involving a particular methodology was self defeating, involving an element of self hypnosis].

The problem with advocates of particular practices is that they are attempting to describe the ineffable ...an oxymoron which results in 'oddball word salad'. Such attempts are basically a form of proselyitisation in order to reinforce their own position.
Sam560

Reply Sun 13 May, 2018 01:27 pm
@fresco,
Thanks. I am aware of the background of this subject. I am only curious as to what I should do while in a nature environment.

My religion doesn't really advocate for "finding yourself". They just want me to spend time in nature and drink-in nature and to spend time on my own to think in a safe environment away from people.

I just wanted to know some tips on what to do exactly while in nature. There are a lot of wooded areas where I live, but I don't want to seem suspicious or get in trouble while doing any of my practices in nature. I thought about walking some open space trials, but they don't like people going off the pathways.
fresco

Reply Sun 13 May, 2018 02:59 pm
@Sam560,
Many seekers of 'spiritual' say that the key is not doing, it's being. So your search for 'practices' is futile in that respect. Attempting to calm and transcend the 'mental chatter' which goes on in normal observation is considered to be central to a 'being' mode.
coluber2001

Reply Sun 13 May, 2018 04:26 pm
@fresco,
I think we're wasting our breath, because he came out and said he's not a seeker, not on a spiritual quest. He's fallen in with a bunch of "experts" who have found a willing victim to precisely follow orders. He's lost without somebody telling him exactly what to do by the numbers.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 14 May, 2018 02:25 pm
@Sam560,
To best commune with nature and become spiritually free and one with it, let yourself out into the open and the wild. No drugs are needed, clothing is optional. Your only requirement is to allow your mind and soul to float free. Release earthly thoughts from your brain, relax in a field or a forest, by a pond, lake, creek, river, ocean, sea or stream. On a mountain, in a valley or in the middle of a wheat field, just let yourself go. Find your peace, nobody else can do this for you.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Mon 14 May, 2018 02:43 pm
One advice I would give is to start learning the names of plants, insects and other animals. Get a field guide on trees for a start, and start learning about your environment. This would help to dispel the feeling of alienation in a strange land. You have to start feeling comfortable in your surroundings before you can relax in it. Instead of viewing "nature" as entertainment, you start feeling like you're part of it.

Identifying organisms is not only a hobby, but can become a major a life-fulfilling avocation that will last a lifetime.

Another piece of advice would be to get away from that damn cult you're in. Cults are not interested in your personal spiritual growth; they're only interested in the reinforcement of their own beliefs.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 14 May, 2018 07:01 pm
@Sam560,
Why do you have to let spirituality ruin time in nature? Spirituality is a meaningless term, especially if you have to worry about finding it. I find time in nature relaxing, enjoyable and refreshing on its own whether I am hiking, boating, swimming or just drinking beer with friends.

I would say "screw the spirituality". Just go hang out in nature, do whatever makes you happy, and then tell people in your religious group whatever mumbo-jumbo they want to hear.

Spirituality ruins experiences that would otherwise be perfectly enjoyable on their own.
coluber2001

Reply Mon 14 May, 2018 08:44 pm
Spirituality is the relationship between mind and body, mind and nature.
Can we relate to our body and to our environment without neglecting and abusing it?
maxdancona

Reply Tue 15 May, 2018 07:21 am
@coluber2001,
Quote:
Can we relate to our body and to our environment without neglecting and abusing it?

I am pretty sure the answer to that is 'no'. Our bodies wear down... even if you have no fun at all, you still get old and die. And, look, every human being who uses electricity, wears clothes or drives a car is "abusing" the environment (the very fact that you are reading this means you too).

Most definitions of spirituality I have seen, from fundamentalist Christian to hippie Buddhist, are against the enjoyment of life (although some of them are tricky and try to redefine "enjoyment" so it doesn't include scotch, poker or sex).

Life is for living. You can be spiritual after you are dead.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Tue 15 May, 2018 08:22 am
@Sam560,
It is the 'Wanting/seeking' that negates the 'being'.
That is what Samadhi teaches.
Fresco is correct - But, you should watch, as I prescribed, to further your understanding - If you choose to do so.

As should everyone.

I'll type-in the Link.
mark noble

Reply Tue 15 May, 2018 08:31 am
@mark noble,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw9zSMsKcwk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQL6qcGqQOV

The 2nd link shows 'unavailable' on this site...?

US Censorship?
0 Replies

Sam560

Reply Tue 15 May, 2018 05:07 pm
@maxdancona,
Thanks. I agree, I just was curious as to the things people commonly do. And it's not a cult I've joined. The people in my religion are open minded, and don't talk mumbo jumbo, or jargon. They believe there is no wrong way to finding yourself in nature or interpreting the religion.
coluber2001

Reply Tue 15 May, 2018 05:37 pm
@Sam560,
Quote:
They believe there is no wrong way to finding yourself in nature or interpreting the religion.

It's good that it's not a cult. I thought maybe it was because you were reluctant to talk about the religion. Still, if you want to relate to nature, that is the wild, then I recommend getting some field guides and start identifying the organisms. This will make you more comfortable in what would otherwise be a Strange Land. You can't expect your consciousness to magically change just because you've stepped off the beaten path and take a nature hike.

It's like taking a class, say a French class, and expecting to be transformed just by walking in the class on the first day. You will feel like a stranger with all the classmates being like aliens. After a week or two your classmates become more familiar and you'll feel more comfortable in the class recognizing faces and even some names and more willing to participate.

The American public's knowledge of Natural History is woefully inadequate and more or less on a first grade or even kindergarten level. That's why we're so alienated from the natural world.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 16 May, 2018 12:45 pm
@Sam560,
[quoteI also have to were a hood because of my religion for this.][/quote]

Excuse me, but you said this is not a cult. Any group that would require you to wear a hood for any but functional reasons sounds like a cult. Also, you're referring to your "religious leader". There is no such thing as a religious leader. There is no Arcane knowledge that a person possesses, in the religious sense, that he can pass on to you. That's been the failure of all organized religions, that is the assumption that someone has a special religious knowledge.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 16 May, 2018 04:03 pm
@coluber2001,
Every religion is a cult to someone; "cult" is just a word for a religion of which you don't approve. There are very few religions that don't have a leader of some sort be it a rabbi, imam, pope, guru, medicine woman, or elder.

mark noble

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 07:33 am
@maxdancona,
Well stated.
'Cult' is derived from 'culture'
And all 'cultures' are, indeed, 'Devices of seperatism'.

But this is a wonderful journey - We all are on - And, if you mean well - Your 'frequency' will attune you unto 'like'.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 08:50 am
@mark noble,
You are sitting at a keyboard connected to the internet. You could simply type in "etymology culture" and see the real answer, rather than make up one for yourself. (Hint: Cult is not derived from culture.)