Britons Are The Most Cultured Europeans?

McTag

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 02:08 am
Piffka wrote:
And now, McT, you're supposed to be praying for Camille... go figure.

As to why Americans like to rib the Brits about their teeth... I have no idea. I've been to Britain four times and never noticed a problem. Maybe I should go over again and see what I was missing?

Piffka, U R always welcome.

There must be some places, from Callanish to Jersey, from Lindisfarne to the Giant's Causeway, that you haven't seen yet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/scottishhistory/ancient/intro_ancient.shtml
http://www.thenortheast.fsnet.co.uk/Lindisfarne.htm
http://www.giantscausewayofficialguide.com/home.htm

And that's only the old stuff.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 10:29 am
Thanks, McTag. I'd come back every year if I could. As you imagine, there are plenty of places I haven't seen. Very Happy I am a slow traveler and prefer to stay in one spot for as long as possible rather than visit a city a day. When I've come back, I revisit the places I've loved and only tour a few new places. (Am I a conservative at heart or what?!??)

Neat websites...
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 07:17 am
Well, the higher museum attendance could have something to do with many museums being free now and only requiring you to donate if you want to.

As for Brits with horrible teeth, that's just a cliché that's been used way too much. Although I was surprised at the state of the teeth on this one guy I saw... (it was absolutely disgusting!)

My teeth aren't exactly straight either, but then again I think it has something to do with the attitude of the dentists here.

I spoke to one dentist about how I was getting worried about the straightness of my teeth, and he was like, "What? Do you want to be a tailor or something?" (Him thinking that tailors cut thread by biting it with perfectly straight teeth). It's as if he didn't really care that my teeth were coming out crooked and I guess I didn't in the end, coz I never got braces.
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 07:38 am
Never noticed a disproportionate number of Brits with gnarled teeth, although I was aware of the stereotype.

On this side of the pond, dental alignment pretty much follows socio-economic lines. If one lacks dental insurance, one rarely shells out the megabucks involved for what insurance companies label cosmetic expenses.

Someone here mentioned that bad teeth in America are found mainly in the heartland. Yeah right. And all those coastal ghetto gangstas pour their hard-earned dollars into caps and bridges?

What I've noticed here is that all configurations of teeth are now unnaturally white due, I suppose, to the over-the-counter availability of dental bleaching products. Are your teeth ultra-white over there, too?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 07:43 am
Whoda -- all those ghetto gangstas are on Medicaid and get their dental work done for free at state-run clinics.
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 07:49 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
Whoda -- all those ghetto gangstas are on Medicaid and get their dental work done for free at state-run clinics.

Yeah ... I forgot about our Leave-No-Gangsta-Behind program.

Smile
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 08:25 am
WhoodaThunk wrote:
Merry Andrew wrote:

Yeah ... I forgot about our Leave-No-Gangsta-Behind program.

Smile

Laughing
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 11:40 am
I will risk a comment some will call racist- but I don't think it is.

Negro and hispanic peoples have more even, stronger teeth than caucasian folks, on average, I think.

"Ghetto gangstas" may have better-teeth genes than the folks of the interior.

(Cab Calloway, Desi Arnaz, know what I'm sayin?)
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 06:04 pm
McTag wrote:

Negro and hispanic peoples have more even, stronger teeth than caucasian folks, on average, I think.

Most of the gangstas I was referring to were pants-sagging Caucasians.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 07:25 pm
Well, of course the Brits visit more ruins. Everybody got to live somewhere.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 08:11 pm
Quote:
Most of the gangstas I was referring to were pants-sagging Caucasians.
They wear Dockers and are almost to a wo/man elected country commissioners/DMV clerks/city councelors/insurance agents and last but not least members of the House of Represtatives in the US Congress.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 01:17 pm
Ah, my fellow bulldogs, but you CAN smoke in the cinema...Cinema Fume (with an accent over the e) in London allows smoking.

Last time I went to see a 'smoking' film was Scorsese's Cape Fear, at the Oxford Rd in Manchester, but it was only allowed on the left...so that was OK. :wink:
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 01:21 pm
Of course the brits are the most cultured. They have the cheesiest humor.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 01:41 pm
An AMERICAN saying British humour is CHEESEY!

How dare you!

You 'guys' (I hate thate expression...and I hate 'go figure' so stop using it, McTag) can't even spell it properly!

British humour is not confined to Benny Hill you know! :wink:
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 01:51 pm
Of course it's not smorgs...

There is the famous Monty Python, Red Dwarf, the Young Ones and Fawlty Towers...

British humour is wonderful.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 01:52 pm
McTag wrote:

... to which the indelible image of the late Ol Dirty Bastard has leapt to my mind and won't leave ...

http://www.hiponline.com/artist/music/o/ol_dirty_bastard/odb-bio.jpg
http://www.chez.com/brebert/Ol_Dirty_Bastard_-_The_Trials_And_Tribulations_Of_Russell_Jones-back.jpg
http://www.chez.com/brebert/Ol_Dirty_Bastard_-_The_Best_of_ODB_front.jpg
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 02:13 pm
LOVING the avatar McGentrix Laughing
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 02:28 pm
Others have commented on that avatar and I'm just wondering whether it's legal.....
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 02:35 pm
You mean 'legal in the States' or legal in general, McTag?

:wink:
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 22 Feb, 2005 02:36 pm
What would be illegal about it?
0 Replies