Britons Are The Most Cultured Europeans?

McTag

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 06:42 am
Official: Britons are most cultured Europeans

John Hooper in Rome
Saturday February 19, 2005
The Guardian

The Italians have Michelangelo, the French Molière and the Germans Beethoven.
But, according to an Italian survey, the British - the beer-swilling, tabloid-reading, supposedly sports-crazy British - are more cultured than any of them.
They go to more concerts, films, plays, galleries and libraries than almost anyone in Europe. They even manage to visit more ruins and monuments than the Italians. "

http://www.guardian.co.uk/britain/article/0,2763,1418110,00.html

I wonder if this comes as a shock to some.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,857 • Replies: 48
No top replies

Francis

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 07:21 am
Not a schock for me but some of the responses are raw data, it needs to be put in the context.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 10:30 am
They boil a lot more meat.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 11:03 am
Not an orthodontist anywhere to be found over there....
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 11:09 am
McTag, have your shield ready, lad
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 11:24 am
I think he has one, Panz, titanium made Laughing
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 11:40 am
It came as a bit of a surprise to me....but hey, it must be true, it says so in the papers.

Some people over here do have straight teeth. A few. (people or teeth?)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 11:44 am
LOL! A few straight......teeth?

Anyhoo--- I love Britain.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 12:43 pm
Now, if only the Brits had better dental plans...
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 02:27 pm
And they speak English so well, too! :wink:
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 02:33 pm
Why do Americans focus so much on Brits' mossy teeth? (phrase from "Catcher In The Rye")

I don't think Brits have particularly disgusting teeth.
And, what's so good about tombstone teeth that you see in a disco under strobe lights?

Anyway, I'm cultured, I forgot.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 02:37 pm
We went out to the cinema this evening (not too cultured, just "The Aviator") and found when we got there it had started a half hour earlier than normal, so we came back home again. Not too far to travel, fortunately.

Now, must go and clean my teeth.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 02:40 pm
Whether or not the conclusions of the Eye-talians are warranted depends in large degree on one's definition of "cultured." That's a very subjective concept. Also, statistics by themselves are fairly meaningless. What does it mean that museum attendance is higher in one country than in another? Perhaps there are more homeless people who flock into a nice dry, warm museum frequently to get in out of the weather? Frequent library use could be interpreted to mean that the general ppulation, while literate, is too impoverished to afford the purchase of their own books or even newspapers. Again, it's all a subjective judgement.

The UK, in recent decades, has become almost as heterogenous a society as its former colonies -- USA, Canada, Australia, NZ. So, another question arises -- are these purportedly "cultured" people actually Brits? Or are the concertgoers mainly Indians, Pakistanis and Rhodesians? Etc., etc., etc.

Not to rain on the parade of the much-beloved British on this thread (and when I say "British", I certainly mean to include Scots and Welsh here as well as the Irish), but that survey needs some fine-tuning, methinks.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 02:43 pm
McTag wrote:
and found when we got there it had started a half hour earlier than normal,

I found this most startling as American picture shows start a half hour later than expected what with all the ads and trailers.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 02:49 pm
All in good fun, of course, McTag. We do, as well, have our equivalent of bad teeth, and it generally comes from the heartland. It is also cleverly marketed as "Billy Bob" fake teeth. My whole family has a set:

http://www.billybobteeth.com/

Panzade's got that one right regarding seeing a movie in America these days. You now have to sit through almost a half hour of ads, trailers, reminders to turn your cell phone off and be curteous to the person next to you and don't forget to blow your wad on that 64 ounce soda.

Which is all why we rarely go out to see a movie anymore, unless it's one of the smaller, single screen moviehouses playing a really good indie film.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 03:34 pm
McTag--

Kudos for teeth brushing.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 05:00 pm
Can you still smoke in British cinemas? I was amazed!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 05:05 pm
dlowan wrote:
Can you still smoke in British cinemas? I was amazed!

Wow! If that's true, I'll take back some of what I said. That would mean that while the British might not be the most cultured people, they are certainly the most civilized.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 12:43 am
No you can't smoke in cinemas here, nor in any public building. Nor in pubs which serve food. Nor soon in any pub.

Thinks, the cliched symbol or image of a cinema is a beam of light cutting through the dark.
In the old days, that was visible because of all the smoke from hundreds of cigarettes.

Hey Andrew, if that means we're less civilised now, I'm sorry, but glad.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 12:51 am
And now, McT, you're supposed to be praying for Camille... go figure.

As to why Americans like to rib the Brits about their teeth... I have no idea. I've been to Britain four times and never noticed a problem. Maybe I should go over again and see what I was missing?
0 Replies