Frustrations of a New Dad.

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 11:47 am
Congrats on the expansion of the ebrown_franchise!

Good rant. Lots of people need to hear that.

I've posted a link to a different article on the same research. For everyone mom, or dad, or aunt, or in-law, who doesn't think dad is vitally crucial ...

Decreasing closeness with dad linked to symptoms of depression, study finds

Quote:
TORONTO (CP) - Fathers need to be involved with kids beyond the years of bedtime stories as teens can experience symptoms of depression if they feel dad is becoming less affectionate, a new study suggests.

"Young people who reported that their relationship with their father had increased in closeness, understanding and affection over time were more likely to have lower scores of symptoms of depression at ages 16 and 17, compared with young people who responded that their relationship got worse," said the Statistics Canada study released Wednesday.

link

as important as mothers are, fathers are even more important in this particular respect, according to this study. it's a study that is turning some people on their heads here.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 12:04 pm
Your not alone in the experiences you're having. Can't count the number of times friends, relatives, or aquaintances have said, "he's going to change the diaper?"

As an involved father you will be in the minority. People will treat you a certain way because of their preconceptions. But you have to recognise that it is their problem, not yours.

I'm offended on behalf of the women; the assumption is that housework is women's work?

My advice is to ignore the inconsequencial stuff (like hospital staff), address the stuff that really matters (like your sister-in-law), and focus on your relationships with your wife and baby.

And come here for advice, rants, or general sharing.

Congrats on the new baby! It sounds like everyone came through OK.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 12:44 pm
I can't add any advice to what others have said, but I will say this:

Your revenge will be in her first word.

:wink:

My daughter absolutely delighted in saying "Da-Da" and giggled wildly while shaking her head no when I tried to get her to say "Ma-Ma."

Congrats!!!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 12:48 pm
Since all the frustrations are (bar the inlaws) external to the family, I'm sure you'll quickly get the issues settled, ebrown.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 05:01 pm
It occurred to me that this is the opposite of Boomerang's "complete suckiness of being a girl" thread.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 05:05 pm
Two other items:

My personal rant: Why aren't there more changing tables in the frickin' men's rooms?

Also, society definitely has a bias towards women taking care of household stuff. Being the stay-at-home parent shortens a man's expected lifespan by seven years.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 11:09 am
I just saw your new avatar, ebrown! Too cute. Ah, baby cheeks...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 11:13 am
DrewDad, only just saw that about men's restrooms. Annoying.

I'm seeing a lot more "family" restrooms, where moms can take sons and dads can take daughters and (for the really plush ones) there's a little nursing nook. Also some have small (low-to-the ground) working toilets. And of course all the changing table/ diaper pail accroutements.

I approve.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 12:20 pm
Some places even have changing/nursing areas that are separate from the restroom so that anyone can use them. I approve of that too.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 12:23 pm
Oh, love the baby picture avatar, ebrown! What a cutie. Very Happy
0 Replies