SILK ROAD ARTEFACTS

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 11:24 pm
THE EARLY ARCHAEOLOGISTS WHO REMOVED ARTEFACTS FROM THE SILK ROAD SITES WERE THIEVES.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,163 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 05:47 am
Fascinating! Rolling Eyes

So what is your point?
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 05:55 am
Smile not surprising Smile

But I wonder what did they do with the artifacts. Just sold them for money?
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 06:33 am
Peter Hopkirk wrote an interesting book on the subject - I think it was called "Foreign Devils on the Silk Road". Many of the artifacts looted reside in national museums (British, French, US etc). Some were in Berlin, and were destroyed during the bombing in the Second World War.

Changing the subject a little, the Greek Parliament Station (similar to the US C-Span) shows documentaries every night, about half of which are in English and subtitled in Greek. Abour two weeks ago they had a show about a Soviet archeologist in Afghanistan during the Russian occupation. His team discovered priceless gold artifacts in 1st-4th century burial mounds, all of which were placed into the museum in Kabul. He begged the authorities to take the artifacts along when the Soviets evacuated, but they were left behind, and are now lost forever.
0 Replies

Bram

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 04:29 pm
Were those Greek artifacts, Jim?

A question for all: Did anyone/author confirm what Marco Polo told about the Silk Road (countries, customs etc.) was correct? I read The Travels of Marco Polo and was pretty awed by all the things he described.

I wonder what language he spoke to communicate with all those people?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 05:23 pm
Are you calling Tamerlain a thief?

Hey, what happens when you write Google into google?
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 09:11 pm
"Stealing History"
In his 2004 book, Robert Atwood addresses "this problem" - in other parts of the world: "Stealing History: Tomb Raiders, Smugglers, and the Looting of the Ancient World."

From the jacket: "Atwood's book is a compelling must-read. Thoroughly engrossing and meticulously researched and reported, it combines first-rate detective work with bracing scientific discovery. The result is stunning: The author strips away the veil of respectability that has cloaked so much of the antiquities trade for centuries. . . . "

This is a fascinating read! It's a fast-moving mystery story, but NOT fiction and it's probably available in many libraries. (Luckily, our copy was a very thoughtful Christmas gift!) Smile Smile Smile
[/color]
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 07:14 am
Bram - the Documentary said the Greek culture left over from Alexander's time had merged with the local cultures to become a hybrid (this was around 500 years after Alexander). For example, they showed pictures of a golden statue found in a grave of the Greek godess Aphrodite. The statue was identical to what was depicted in Greece, only this statue had wings, which came from one of the Hindu divinities (sorry, I don't remember which one).
0 Replies

Bram

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 04:42 pm
Jim

I saw a picture of a Greek marble statue with wings too (but no head). I think it was Aphrodite also. Don't know if there is any relation.

I found the book you referred to. Can't wait to read it. Smile
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 09:31 pm
Marco Polo's languages
Quote:
I wonder what language he spoke to communicate with all those people?

From the Catholic Encyclopedia - in the middle of the article, quite a few lines down (URL below):

. . .
Kublai conceived a great affection for the youthful Marco Polo, who readily adopted the Tatar custom and soon learned the four languages as well as the four writings of which they made use (probably Mongolian, Chinese, Persian, and Uighur). . . .

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12217a.htm

There is other information about the European languages that Marco Polo spoke. I don't remember whether this is in the above article or on one of the other sites I looked at.
[/color]

http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~stephan/Animation/chaplin.movie.gif
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 09:42 pm
Now see what you started, Alvin!
0 Replies

Bram

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 03:22 pm
An awesome link. Thanks, Charli! Smile

Jim, I just finished reading the book. I recommend anyone who is interested in Asia to read it.

What did Alvin start, Merry Andrew? Question
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 03:25 pm
Everything. This whole thread. He just made one statement to start the thread and then disappeared. Cunning li'l devil.
0 Replies

Bram

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 03:27 pm
Oh, does that bother you? Razz

We are here, aren't we?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 03:28 pm
Doesn't bother me a bit. Wonder if it bothers Alvin.
0 Replies