Dookiestix

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 03:42 pm
It's amazing that despite all the roiling and demonizing from the Right regarding gay marriage, that it is happening in state after state.

Yippee as well. Nothin' like true equality for us to celebrate our Constitution...
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 04:55 pm
ehBeth wrote:
so you want me to post about the 4 gay Israeli couples who came to Tranna on the weekend to get married?

Will you be my chief bridesmaid? That way you might get to dance with Mitchell's best man Wink
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 05:38 pm
I was actually thinking of being your person of honour :wink:
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 06:33 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
It's amazing that despite all the roiling and demonizing from the Right regarding gay marriage, that it is happening in state after state.

Yippee as well. Nothin' like true equality for us to celebrate our Constitution...

Care to explain your delusion?
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 09:53 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
Marriage was a contractual situation and had nothing to do with romance.

Oh, I imagine it had something to do with it; romance can lead to marriage, or form from it.

Cycloptichorn

Hmmm, uh did this guy ever hear of Romeo and Juliet?
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 03:40 pm
Here in Canada, similar reservations were being held over the gay marriage debate.
Our right wing objected becasue they wanted to "preserve the traditional definition of marriage as the union of a man and a woman", but, the more moderate conservatives endorsed "civil unions" which were essentially marriages by another name.

What would society be without an "us" and a "them".
Terrorists and Americans
Gays and straights
Men and women
"Us" and Michael Jackson
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 03:42 pm
candidone1 wrote:
What would society be without an "us" and a "them".
Terrorists and Americans

I've always had my suspicions where those sneaky Canadians stood...
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 04:17 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
RexReed:

I agree. Marriage should be what we, as individuals, make of it. The government has absolutely NO right to legislate who can and cannot get married.

I assume you don't really mean that. What about children?
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 04:21 pm
What ABOUT children, SCoates?
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 04:24 pm
Do you feel it's perfectly acceptable for a forty year old man to marry a four year old girl... or boy?
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 04:26 pm
Um, we currently have statutory rape laws in place to prevent that, SCoates.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 04:29 pm
You said the government should have NO power over who can get married. You stressed it. What I suggest falls under that jurisdiction which you would ENTIRELY emliminate.

Don't play dumb. You worded your point very poorly, and you're acting like I'm an idiot for noticing it.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 04:33 pm
Then you misinterpreted the "jurisdiction."

So has Senator Santorum, who thinks that consenting adults will next want to marry animals if same sex couples are allowed to marry.

I guess it's the "jurisidiction" that somehow baffles you.

Perhaps you could lay off the snide comments and keep this civil. You came right out of the gates with an adversarial style...
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 04:43 pm
I did not. My initial post was very polite. I said that you seemed to say something which I did not believe you meant. You're position is entirely incorrect. This is not a matter of opinion, it is a matter of the exact words you stated being in contradiction to what you intended to state.

You act as though I've attacked your beliefs, which I have in no way done. The fact is the Government prevents adults from marrying children. It does not matter how you chose to interpret that fact. It remains a fact, and your initial statement was that the government should have no such control.

I apologize if I was incorrect in assuming you were only playing dumb. But I still believe that to be the case. If you wish me to believe otherwise you are welcome to persuade me.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 04:54 pm
SCoates wrote:
I did not. My initial post was very polite. I said that you seemed to say something which I did not believe you meant. You're position is entirely incorrect. This is not a matter of opinion, it is a matter of the exact words you stated being in contradiction to what you intended to state.

You act as though I've attacked your beliefs, which I have in no way done. The fact is the Government prevents adults from marrying children. It does not matter how you chose to interpret that fact. It remains a fact, and your initial statement was that the government should have no such control.

I apologize if I was incorrect in assuming you were only playing dumb. But I still believe that to be the case. If you wish me to believe otherwise you are welcome to persuade me.

Jeez, SCoates, lighten up. I never felt my beliefs were attacked. The fact that the Government prevents adults from marrying children is just that. How else is one to interpret statutory rape laws? It is a rather just law, and it protects our children, INCLUDING my 5 year old daughter.

The issue was "jurisdiction," I guess. But since the gay marriages that took place in our great city of SF were ALL between consenting ADULTS, how is it possible for you to interpret that I also meant children? Kinda like when Satorum assumed that humans will marry animals next if gay marriage becomes the law.

So put it to rest, SCoates. We're NOT talking about children, o.k.? We're talking about the right to marry whoever you love as consenting adults. I don't remember this thread mentioning ANYTHING about children until you showed up.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 04:55 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
Then you misinterpreted the "jurisdiction."

So has Senator Santorum, who thinks that consenting adults will next want to marry animals if same sex couples are allowed to marry.

I guess it's the "jurisidiction" that somehow baffles you.

Perhaps you could lay off the snide comments and keep this civil. You came right out of the gates with an adversarial style...

I'm really interested in hearing you explain how establishing law is not the jurisdiction of government.

You're welcome to use real definitions or make up any you wish. I suspect it will be entertaining either way.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 04:55 pm
Quote:
Don't play dumb. You worded your point very poorly, and you're acting like I'm an idiot for noticing it.

I don't consider you an idiot, SCoates.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 05:02 pm
Quote:

I'm really interested in hearing you explain how establishing law is not the jurisdiction of government.

You're welcome to use real definitions or make up any you wish. I suspect it will be entertaining either way.

Why would I want to explain that?
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 05:06 pm
Dookiestix wrote:

Jeez, SCoates, lighten up. I never felt my beliefs were attacked. The fact that the Government prevents adults from marrying children is just that. How else is one to interpret statutory rape laws? It is a rather just law, and it protects our children, INCLUDING my 5 year old daughter.

The issue was "jurisdiction," I guess. But since the gay marriages that took place in our great city of SF were ALL between consenting ADULTS, how is it possible for you to interpret that I also meant children? Kinda like when Satorum assumed that humans will marry animals next if gay marriage becomes the law.

So put it to rest, SCoates. We're NOT talking about children, o.k.? We're talking about the right to marry whoever you love as consenting adults. I don't remember this thread mentioning ANYTHING about children until you showed up.

Again, your initial statement was that the government should have NO control over marriages. I just came here to make a slight correction, I didn't plan on being attacked.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 05:11 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
Quote:

Why would I want to explain that?

You said that I misinterpreted jurisdiction. And that it "baffled" me. My interpretation was that it was the government's jurisdiction to establish laws that prevent certain marriages.
0 Replies