Woman refuses to leave hospital after her discharge 1yr ago

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 10:30 am
Quote:

February 16, 2005 8:39 PM EST

More than a year after Sarah Nome was deemed healthy and given her discharge papers, the 82-year-old woman stubbornly refuses to leave her hospital bed.

Nome admits there is no reason she should be racking up unpaid medical bills - which have now topped $1 million - but says she has nowhere else to turn.

Now Kaiser Permanente's San Rafael Medical Center in California is suing her for the cost of her stay and trying to show her the door.

http://eimg.net/harvest_xml/NEWS/img/20050216/3d0d5ec0_3ca7_155272005-02-16235312341.jpg

"The thing is, I have no medical problem. I've been here more than a year, never had any medication, never had any treatment, never had a fever, have a perfect heart, blood pressure is like a teenager," Nome said in a telephone interview from the hospital north of San Francisco. "It isn't that I'm not ready to go. I just have nowhere to go."

Exasperated hospital officials persuaded a judge to approve her eviction. But because Nome is bedridden and cannot walk, they have no intention of wheeling her onto the street. Instead, they hope the ruling encourages her to pack her bags.

"We're really not interested in her money," Kaiser attorney Stanley Watson said. "We just want her cooperation."

Nome's troubles began, her daughter Jane Sands says, in 2002 when she broke both her legs while living alone. After several operations, Nome could no longer care for herself and was admitted to the first of several nursing homes.

The most recent one, Nome claims, sent her to the hospital against her will. Hospital officials say she was admitted for a weeklong psychiatric evaluation, was deemed to be in good mental health, was then ordered released.

But because she is suing the nursing homes where she lived before she was hospitalized, Nome and her daughter claim she has no choice but to stay put. Nome is suing the last home she lived in, Greenbrae Care Center, for sending her to the hospital.

Watson said hospital officials have tried to find a suitable home for Nome, but Nome and her daughter insist on staying in Marin County, where Nome has spent her entire life.

That puts Kaiser in a difficult position, given Nome's bedridden state.

"If a patient were ambulatory, you could simply discharge them and say, `Have a nice day,'" Watson said. "But I can assure you that we don't plan on having the sheriff come in and physically remove her and put her on the street."

Greenbrae will not take Nome back because she is suing the nursing home, said Bob Peirce, chief operating officer of Ocadian Hospitals and Care Centers, which runs the center.

"She's suing us, and we obviously feel very strongly that she has no case," Peirce said.

Anthony Wright, executive director of the health care advocacy group Health Access California, said Nome's situation highlights a larger, nationwide problem.

"This issue is becoming more and more contentious because ... we don't have a long-term care policy in this country, so there is no set way that we take care of seniors who need ongoing care," he said.

Meanwhile, Nome remains in her hospital gown. She said the doctors and nurses "couldn't be finer," but she has missed the news since her television and newspaper privileges were taken away. "I think Bush might still be president," she quipped.

She passes the time by reading in bed and gazing out the window.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 879 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 10:36 am
This is really really sad.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 11:10 am
There is a BIG part of me wondering why she isnt staying with her daughter while she goes through this law suit?
I cant think of many reasons family members can not make roomf or each other when necessary.
Unless her daughter is unable to properly care for HERSELF, im wondering why she is still in the hospital.!
But, i dont know the entire story,
just that this woman is homeless and has to ride out her time in a hospital bed because she has nothing else.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 01:07 pm
Yeah, I would also like to know why her daughter isn't helping. It is unfair for the woman to selfishly take advantage of the people in the hospital (they need money to live and provide that bed!) when she could also be offered life in another nursing home outside of the district.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 01:43 pm
The article said the 82-year-old woman is bedridden. So I would imagine the daughter is my age (50) or older. I couldn't care for someone who was bedridden. I don't have the skills, and I can't lift more than 15 lbs. People my age often have physical limitations themselves that can prevent them from caring for an elderly patient. Or it may be a problem with the physical space and/or other occupants of the home. All sorts of possible reasons. So I'm giving the daughter the benefit of the doubt.

There must have been a reason why she was placed in a nursing home to begin with. And I doubt that other area nursing homes would agree to take her if they knew she was currently filing suit against one.

It's a difficult situation.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 01:50 pm
That was my thought too Eva. It would have to be that she wasnt able to do it .
But one thing I do know from working in nursing homes is that if your family is in the middle of a law suit with ONE nursing home, another will not accept you.
You become a legal risk. Not knowing the grounds of her law suit, I would be willing to bet that it is bordering abuse of some kind.. I dont know this for sure.. but it is just my hunch. And if that IS true, there isnt a nursing home that will touch her with a 10 foot pole at this point.

Knowing about funding for nursing homes, most places that help with funding ( insurance companies) WILL and DO pay for inhome nursing care. If her daughter was able to take care of her, the mother could have her insurance company fund an in home nurse. Even if it was just a few hours a day to check on her and help her with a bath, groceries, medicines etc...
But , again, I dont know what position the daughter is in.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 01:59 pm
That's right, shewolf. She may not be physically able to care for her mother, or she may not be able to afford to take in her mother, or she may live in a 2nd-3rd-4th-etc. floor unit, or she may have a husband/others who don't want her mother there. She may have to work full-time at a low-paying job and there could not be enough money to pay for a full-time caregiver.......or all sorts of other valid reasons.

My husband's grandmother lived to be 101, and stayed in her own home alone until the last 6 months when she was placed in a nursing home. Until then, she got by with a daily visit from her 70 yr. old daughter and a daily visit from a home health care nurse. But she was lucky. She happened to own her own home, could afford the home health care, could get around on a walker, had a daughter who was in relatively good health and had no pressing obligations who could take care of her laundry, housecleaning, meals, etc., and she easily accepted help from health care personnel. Unfortunately, most older patients are NOT in the same situation.
0 Replies