ride, defense(too long) and stuff

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 03:54 am
What message would you like to send the Birds after their ride to the Super Bowl ended in defeat?
The defense being on the field too long? (this is refered as a cause to explain why Philadelphia Eagles was defeated)
Win Eagles stuff and a DN T-shirt (this is refered when they come to the discussion of if someone can guess the game score and win the prize.)

their ride? I think it means to ride the big bus to get to the Super Bowl. Right? And I'm curious, when I take a taxi in China here, I always hear a voice saying "thank you for renting(riding) taxi" and since I know you can ride a horse, I don't know if you can ride a bus or a taxi?
The defense? Does it mean the team members responsible for defensing?
Does the author mean they are so tired that they can't hold on and so they are defeated?
stuff? means some gifts? I know it can stand for the personnel, but not sure if it can be gifts.
If you don't have an idea, check this site:
http://www.pnionline.com/dnblog/eagles/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 500 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 04:08 am
1. Ride. The word here is used in a metaphorical or symbolic sense. It does not necessarily refer to an actual "ride" on a bus or any other conveyance. It refers to the whole series of games that the team played in order to become eligible to play in the Super Bowl. Thus, this effort to be a top team is referred to as a "ride."

2. Defense. In an American football game, the action is understood to consist of an "offense", playing aggresively against the opposing team, and a "defense", guarding against the offense of the other team. The writer is saying the Eagles's defensive game was weak and the players responsible for the defense should have been replaced.

3. Stuff. Yes, it can refer to gifts or any merchandise at all. It is a general slangy term for any material goods.

Hope this helps.
0 Replies