comma usage

vrj626

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 10:06 am
I am unsure as to where the commas would need to go in the paragraph below. I know a comma should follow an address, but what do you do when there is parentheses following the address? Does the comma go before the parentheses or after?

This Agreement is entered into between XYZ Corporation having its principal place of business at 123 ABC Street, San Diego, California 98765 (hereinafter referred to as "Seller"), and Information Technology Services having its principal place of business at 301 North Lamar Street, San Francisco, California 98765 (hereinafter referred to as "ITS"), as contracting agent for ABC Department located at 401 North West Street, Oakland, California 98765 (hereinafter referred to as "Purchaser").
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 594 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 10:28 am
The way you have it is exactly the way I would write it.
0 Replies

Aa

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 12:47 pm
I would add a comma after each of the three corporation names, in order to separate the company name from the wording that follows: "having its principal address . . . "

Thus:
Line 1: after Corporation
Line 2: after Services
Line 6: after Department
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 01:10 pm
Aa wrote:
I would add a comma after each of the three corporation names, in order to separate the company name from the wording that follows: "having its principal address . . . "

Thus:
Line 1: after Corporation
Line 2: after Services
Line 6: after Department

That is certainly appropriate, and I believe it could be done either way and be considered correct. As a matter of fact, if the name of one of the parties has "Inc." in its name, I always put a comma before and after the "Inc."
0 Replies