Will Man Ruin the Earth Beyond Repair?

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2018 07:21 am
The years since World War II have been dubbed by some as the Great Acceleration. In a single lifetime, people have seen remarkable advances in transportation, communication, and other technologies, which have brought unprecedented economic changes. Many enjoy a standard of living once thought impossible. In the meantime, the earth’s population has nearly tripled.

All of this, however, has not come without cost. Human activities are said to be pushing the earth beyond its natural cycles. In fact, some scientists say we have entered a new geological epoch called the Anthropocene—an age in which humans are making an increasingly notable impact on the planet.

Is the earth headed for a point of no return? Some scientists feel that the effect of changes can be difficult to predict. Because of this, they are concerned that we might be approaching “tipping points” where sudden and unanticipated climate changes could bring disastrous results. What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 1,327 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2018 02:15 pm
@anthony1312002,
Will man ruin...?

There are those who say it's already too late.

My take is, even if the end has been pushed closer to the now, it doesn't mean that I should abandon all hope. If steps are taken , several thousand years could be added to humans time on the planet.

....Unless an asteroid or other space materials doom us first...
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2018 02:22 pm
@anthony1312002,
The "earth" will be fine. It's the systems that support life as we know it which are in severe danger.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2018 02:26 pm
Earth will survive mankind--and in any event, our star will turn this planet into toast in somewhat more than a billion years. Your question is antropocentric. It is concerned with what is good for humans, and not what will or will not benefit the biosphere. I cannot speak with certainty, but I suspect the biosphere will do just fine, especially if we are gone--of course, until Sol stokes up the furnace.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2018 07:43 pm
I worked with a man who had in a recent past worked with those who clean up hazardous sites. He told me one time, "After what I've seen - It's already too late to reverse so much damage." I take the position, we can save ourselves for a considerable time frame, if we take appropriate action, now. If not - Well, we cannot afford there to be a mineshaft gap.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Mon 23 Apr, 2018 07:51 pm
@anthony1312002,
Surely your question is rhetorical given your beliefs.

Quote:
It is interesting that you feel that the Bible is not the soul authority in Christian teaching. There is a great danger in thinking this way. Taking this view allows one to become vulnerable to other ideas that have no place in Christian life or teaching and refute the Bible as being the infallible Word of God.

'The traditional viewpoint interprets this Bible prophecy to be symbolic of the progression of the world toward the "great day of God, the Almighty" in which the great looming mountain of God's just and holy wrath is poured out against unrepentant sinners, led by Satan, in a literal end-of-the-world final confrontation. Armageddon is the symbolic name given to this event based on scripture references regarding divine obliteration of God's enemies.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armageddon

Loved that 'soul authority' eggcorn.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2018 04:23 pm
@anthony1312002,
everything that accounted for the big 5 mass extinctions were "ruination events". SInce several of the crowd herein believe that these events were "designed" its hard to even speculate what really comprises "ruination". Apparently, according to them, everything is preordained (even slabs of maple cured bacon) and that all of life is just hanging on for the ride.

0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 24 Apr, 2018 07:45 pm
@anthony1312002,
The earth will get by well enough - minus the presence of mankind. Within 100-200 years or so I think man will be extinct unless he colonizes another planet.

Of course take my predictions with a grain of salt. I’m the one that predicted Hilarity Clinton as Prez and the Patriots as the SB winners.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2018 02:01 pm
@anthony1312002,
Not with anything w'ere capable of now. Perhaps in the future we will have the means to shatter the earth into fragments, but that would be a long, long time away from now.

Earth is not Life.

Life has survived 5 mass Extinctions

End Ordovician, 444 million years ago, 86% of species lost
Late Devonian, 375 million years ago, 75% of species lost. ...
End Permian, 251 million years ago, 96% of species lost. ...
End Triassic, 200 million years ago, 80% of species lost. ...
End Cretaceous, 66 million years ago, 76% of all species lost.

Pretty good track record.
mark noble

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2018 08:22 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
And we're latter 6th. atm.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2018 08:36 am
@anthony1312002,
We're at 200+ extinctions per day - Crop-planting is down 45% and has a shorter season to manifest - Blah, blah.

If the Arctic sea is ice-free in July 2018 - 98% of life on Earth will be gone by christmas - If Ice-free by September - We'll have another year.

Think 'Thermohaline' and prepare.

But, Earthly demise is merely a physical parameter - Make good with the spirit - And let it go.

Research 'Sadhguru, Eckhart Tolle, Ram Dass and Mooji' These guys are 'on-track'.
farmerman

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2018 09:48 am
@mark noble,
evolution will respond by innate genetic variability and natural selection.
Polar bears will slowly become shallow neritic hunters nd adapt accordingly, some will become land dwellers . We see wetland sparrows slowly adapting to shallow neritic environments by becoming smaller and more adapted to feed on halophytes .
Oysters are returning where waters uper baysides are becoming brackish
farmerman

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2018 09:49 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Pre Wisconinian Homo sapiens extinction event removed almost 99% of humans
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2018 10:26 am
@farmerman,
Farmerman - The Ice melting wont cause any extinction - The effect of the melt on the th-conveyer (Gulf & Jetstream) will cause massive crop failures - Already has (Hence HUGE Media distractions) - th crossed equator at 3 points, recently (THAT'S NEW) Unprecedented.

Anyway - Consequences thereof.... Go research.

Seen food-prices lately?

Well everyone outside the us has.
farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Apr, 2018 12:41 pm
@mark noble,
I believe you're trying to make a point, could you share what it is?
Lash

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2018 10:01 am
I watched a news segment re degraded, obliterated microplastics changing the composition of the ocean and the composition of the fish we eat. The strong suggestion is ocean produce is no longer safe.

Too bad that farmed fish has been unsafe for a while now. Monsanto food is unsafe. Time to start growing and raising our own food. I’m looking into a few local farms — to check out their methods.

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2018 10:22 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I watched a news segment re degraded, obliterated microplastics changing the composition of the ocean and the composition of the fish we eat. The strong suggestion is ocean produce is no longer safe.

Too bad that farmed fish has been unsafe for a while now. Monsanto food is unsafe. Time to start growing and raising our own food. I’m looking into a few local farms — to check out their methods.

Many Tomball residents go to the farmer's market for healthy food. But I learned you have to be careful there, as a few dealers have been known to buy produce at the supermarket and sell it there.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2018 10:04 am
@farmerman,
Of course.
Would you like to begin with Greenland - Whose FRESHwater glacial-melt (Plus landmelt) Has NOT been added to the 'Idiot equation'?
"SALINITY MATTERS".

My Point is:

Every moment Matters.
farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2018 10:09 am
@mark noble,
youve failed to understand why humans almost went extinct
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2018 10:14 am
@Lash,
Would you accept that 25% of what you eat "IS" PLASTIC - If I were to show you evidence?
If you're in the USA - Double it, add fluoride, BPA and sprinkle barium, aluminium (NOT "ALUMINUM" - "AL-U-MIN-EE-UM" ALYOUMINEEUM - FFS.) on top.