duplicate winning scores?

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 11:56 pm
As always, in the event of duplicate winning scores, whoever has the closest description of how the game turned out will be named the winner.

What is "duplicate winning scores"? What does it mean? Rolling Eyes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 537 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Francis

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 01:36 am
Are you reading Jack Kerouac, again?

ex-aequo
tied
0 Replies

translatorcz

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 01:49 am
Oh,no,although I don't know what "Jack Kerouac" is, it is probably no. Because I'm reading a blog discussing the Super Bowl (maybe its final) and the guess of its score and the award after that.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 08:34 am
This refers to a sort of competition among people watching the Super Bowl. Before the game, they predict the final score. The winner is the person who predicts the final score accurately. If only one person predicts the final score accurately, that person is the winner.

However, if TWO people predict the final score accurately, the winner is determined by something other than the score; the descriptions of how the game was likely to go.

So for example if the final score was 24-20, with the Patriots winning, and two people guessed that final score, the one who said, "Donovan McNabb will have a good game but not a great one, and will throw some interceptions" would win over the one who said "Donovan McNabb will have an absolutely flawless game." (The first sentence, "...a good game but not a great one..." more accurately describes what ended up happening.)
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 08:52 am
Sozobe, Translatorcz was reading a blog named "on the road" (I took a look at it) :wink:
0 Replies

translatorcz

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 12:16 am
Yes. "on the road" is what I'm reading. And I will read more blogs other than that later and come up with more questions. Please be ready to help, ok? Thank you all. Because of you, I understand most of it. But what is "throw some interceptions" in Sozobe's post? Haha, my English is poor. Help! Help! Haha.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 07:50 am
Ah, cute, Francis. ;-)

You've been asking for explanations of lots of specific football terminology, translatorcz. People who are quite fluent in English but not familiar with football terminology would have problems, too.

Donovan McNabb is the quarterback for the Philadelphia Eagles. A quarterback is a position on a football team. The quarterback is sort of like the "captain" of the team -- he gets the ball at the beginning and decides whether to hand off the ball, throw the ball, or run the ball himself. (Actually, plays are usually called ahead of time, but that gets more complicated so I won't go into that.) If he throws the ball, the best outcome is for one of his teammates to catch the ball and make significant forward progress on the field. To get closer to making a touchdown (7 points) or field goal (3 points.)

However, as (Merry Andrew?) recently explained, the other team's defense is trying to disrupt the offense. (The quarterback is part of the offensive team.) And sometimes a member of the OTHER team will catch a ball. That's called an interception. If the other team catches they ball, they take possession -- their offensive team comes out on the field.
0 Replies