a word not available in my dictionary

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 11:55 pm
paraphrenalia, a kind of gift you can get if you guess the score of a game right. Rolling Eyes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 977 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 01:10 am
I know "paraphernalia", though, and that's in the dictionaries :wink:
0 Replies

translatorcz

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 01:52 am
Oh, Walter, please. Come on and tell me that.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 01:58 am
Well that's something totally different to what you asked:

Quote:
Main Entry: par·a·pher·na·lia Pronunciation Guide
Pronunciation: R parf(r)nly, -l also per-, -R -fn-
Function: noun plural but sometimes singular in construction
Etymology: Medieval Latin paraphernalia (bona), from paraphernalia (neuter plural of paraphernalis) + Latin bona possessions
1 : the separate paraphernal real or personal property of a married woman that she can dispose of by will and sometimes according to common law during her life
2 : personal belongings (as equipment or finery) <bundled in the paraphernalia, down to scarves and woolly caps -- Truman Capote> <toy soldiers, little chariot wheels, the entire paraphernalia of a baby -- Walter Pater>
3 : articles of equipment : FURNISHINGS, APPARATUS <paraphernalia of art> <lighting paraphernalia> <paraphernalia of war> <ceremonial paraphernalia> <paraphernalia of a circus> <equestrian paraphernalia>
4 : APPURTENANCES <disguising a naked fact in the paraphernalia of philosophy -- Ellen Glasgow> <freedom from the paraphernalia of the modern university -- Review of Politics> <his life ... has been treated merely as part of the whole paraphernalia of conspiracy and romance -- Iris Origo> <the elaborate paraphernalia of our democratic system of popular choice -- A.E.Stevenson died 1965> <multitude of doctrinal disputes which are part of a lawyer's paraphernalia -- R.H.Jackson>
synonym see EQUIPMENT
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 04:05 am
Well thanks Walter - I have now discovered I am ignorant in regards the meaning of 'appurtances'. And this is supposed to be a knowledge sharing forum........
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 04:20 am
paraphernalia=appurtenances=peripherals etc.

For some reason, I can't seem to open my online dictionary this morning. But I think Walter's 3rd and 4th definitions are the ones most commonly understood by the word.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 04:22 am
paraphernalia=appurtenances=peripherals=useless crap

I think it could do with a edit.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 03:51 pm
In my experience, if someone just says "paraphernalia" without another modifier, they're talking about drugs or things used to smoke them.

I'm sure that's slang that doesn't come up in a dictionary though.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 04:17 pm
Marijuana Paraphernalia: bong, bubbler, joint, pipe, gravity bong, chillum, glass, bat, one-hitter, paper, papes, sheets, Phillie, wraps, vaporizer...

Slang Terms for Drugs
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 04:39 pm
rufio wrote:
In my experience, if someone just says "paraphernalia" without another modifier, they're talking about drugs or things used to smoke them.

I'm sure that's slang that doesn't come up in a dictionary though.

That's right, rufio. It would depend on the context, of course, but in many cases the presence of the word "paraphernalia" in a conversation would indicate the conversation is about drugs. So would the word "product" without any further explanation of what product is being discussed.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 06:01 pm
translatorcz has been asking a lot of football/ Super Bowl questions, and in that context it's usually team paraphernalia -- mugs or shirts or mousepads or whatever with the team's logo on it.
0 Replies

translatorcz

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 12:08 am
Are those with a name signed on it paraphernalias too?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 08:03 am
Yep. (Not all team paraphernalia is signed, but signed items can be paraphernalia.)
0 Replies

Aa

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 05:04 pm
The word "paraphernalia" is very useful, and I hope its application does not become consigned to illegal drugs, street drugs, and the like.

In etymology, its roots go back to two Greek words combined to mean "beyond dowry" - para + pherne.

It reminds me of "impedimentia" - which goes back to all the gear that a foot soldier has to carry.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 05:08 pm
Glad to meet you here again, Aa!!!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 05:27 pm
Oh, my goodness. She's here! This is so great.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 05:53 pm
(Have to join in the general "look, it's Aa!" revelry -- hope you stick around this time!)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 07:28 pm
And while you're here, bring Pueo with you. He's been missing too.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 07:33 pm
Paraphernalia=Gear

AA, good seein you again , but your etymology needs to be updated. Paraphernalia is a conjunctive neologism from the new Greek from two words

Paraphern- which means "crap that we can sell to these dorks"

and

alia-which means "yet even more crap that they will buy"
0 Replies