Birds and Eagles

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 11:50 pm
Is "Birds" an alias of "Philadelphia Eagles", an american football team enters the Super Bowl this year? Why is it so called? Is there any story? Rolling Eyes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 846 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 06:47 am
An eagle is a kind of bird. Headline writers adore short words which fit nicely into headlines. Sports writers in general are very fond of synonyms. By calling the "Eagles", "Birds" every so often they avoid monotony.
0 Replies

Aa

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 06:59 pm
I see it somewhat differently.

In a technical sense, the words "eagles" and "birds" are not synonyms.

I feel that the use of "birds" has the advantage of brevity (as you commented), and it is also breezy and informal in tone, quite suitable in a sports context.

Eagles: formal and correct as a short-form name for the Philadelphia Eagles

Birds: brief, breezy, and informal - rather slangy
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 07:16 pm
One last observation:

The name "Eagles" connotes strength, majesty, and cunning. A predator.

The name "Birds" connotes weakness, absurdity, and stupidity. The prey.

In football, you want your team to be the predator and your opponent to be the prey.

So while a team may embrace it as a sort of psychological device, like the Packers embraced the derogatory "cheesehead", it's probably not used by Eagles fans.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 08:04 pm
Okay, not a comment on "birds" or "eagles" but on "Aa". I remember that name from another forum and I'm wondering if you might be she of the A'a, Aa?
0 Replies

translatorcz

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 11:44 pm
Thank you. And especially Sozoby for you answered many of my questions and you point out something I have never expected: Bird, the prey;Eagle, the predator. Haha. Thank you all.
0 Replies

Aa

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 11:41 am
boomerang: Yes, I am Aa (briefly written as a'a) of long-ago Abuzz days.

translatorcz: I think it's interesting about whether birds, among other creatures, are prey or predator. In the "food chain", in which the larger creatures eat the smaller creatures, some birds can be both prey and predator. For example, a pigeon eats insects but is in turn eaten by hawks.

Most people would not consider the robin to be a predator, but from a worm's-eye view (the point of view of a worm), the robin is a predator.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 11:45 am
Aa wrote:
Most people would not consider the robin to be a predator, but from a worm's-eye view (the point of view of a worm), the robin is a predator.

What worm, please?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 11:54 am
From an eagle's point of view, its good to be at the top of the food chain.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 11:59 am
This one has no eyes!

http://myhome.naver.com/c65hoi5/c3/c33236.jpg
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 12:24 pm
Welcome to A2K AA. I remember you too, as a very bright and accurate poster on Abuzz.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 12:48 pm
Yes! It is great to see you again Aa!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 12:55 pm
AA--

Good to see you again. I hope you keep posting.
0 Replies

Aa

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 04:56 pm
cjhsa, boomerang, and Noddy24: Thank you all! A good-humored discussion such as this one is encouragement to remain at A2K and play.

Francis: You ask "What worm?" - any worm at all with do. I could not pull up the worm image you posted, but I'm not surprised that such tiny, earth-bound creatures can come in varieties without eyes.

timberlandko: You're right about the eagle not being prey in the food chain. It would take a bird of little brain to attack an eagle.

The food chain is actually circular, if you think of the post-mortem destiny of human beings. Worms and ants seem to be near the bottom of the food chain, but ultimately they close the circle.
0 Replies