First a duel...now another challenge

Letty

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 06:57 pm
Well, upon my word. Saddam has openly thrown down the gaunlet:

http://channels.netscape.com/ns/news/package.jsp?name=news/saddam/saddam

Shades of Nixon and Kennedy.

Who will be Nixon this time and who will be Kennedy?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,527 • Replies: 20
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 07:07 pm
Oh yes ... a battle of wits between unarmed opponents.

... better yet, could we bring back celebrity boxing?

I for one would pay my $50 bucks to see this on pay-per-view.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 07:13 pm
If the situation wasn't so serious, this story would be absolutely hilarious!

What happens after the debate? Whomever wins, gets his way? Saddam has really got to be kidding!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 07:27 pm
ebrown and Phoenix, I take it yawl do not consider this a viable alternative? Laughing
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 08:48 am
Saddam knows what he is doing. Bush debate what a joke. Than again Bush may be able to confuse him with Bushese.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 08:54 am
Let us imagine that such a dispute takes place in some neutral territory (for personal security reasons Saddam may be reluctant to come to the USA and Mr. Bush -- to Iraq; New Zealand, IMHO, might be the optimal host). What language should it be conducted in? If in English, this will give unilateral advantages to Mr. Bush (it is his mother tongue); and if in Arabic, Mr. Bush would be completely neutralized. Usage of interpreters may distort meaning of the words of both leaders...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 09:17 am
It'll be in both english and arabic. If it happens. And, there will be people listening to the translators - lots of people - to make sure there are no misunderstandings.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 10:39 am
In a way this debate is already happening. Bush is speaking his piece in English and Saddam is appealing to his sympathizers in Arabic.

They are not listening to each other. But, this is true in most debates.

The real question is which of them will lose power first...

Anyone want to bet who wins...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 10:43 am
ebrown,

Can't bet who wins, but I can predict who the losers will be Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 11:04 am
Both have been sabre rattling for so long. I think they should just whip out their manhoods and have at it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 11:08 am
steissd wrote:
If in English, this will give unilateral advantages to Mr. Bush (it is his mother tongue);

As a foreigner, you can be excused for having posted this: Mr. Bush has never, to my knowledge, been known to speak the English language . . .
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 11:09 am
I guess, Saddam will lose power first. It will happen in 2003. Mr. Bush can be a President until 2008 (if he is re-elected in 2004).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 11:12 am
Well, Bush has demonstrated a capacity to gain office without having garnered a majority of the popular vote, so, sadly, i would say it is very likely that he will get re-elected . . .
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 11:15 am
Setanta, I guess, you know well that elections in the USA are indirect. Only this explains success of the candidate having received less popular voices than his competitor, and not any special tricks.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 11:28 am
Well, there have been several minority presidents, although it usually occurs when a third or fourth party splits the vote. There are quite a few in this country, though, who consider the tabulation of votes in Florida to have been a "special trick," and who are especially incensed by the interference of the Supreme Court in an executive branch election.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 11:32 am
Well, when the sides cannot come to agreement on some specific and important question, interference of judge(s) may be required. At least, in the democratic countries. In some banana republic electoral crisis of Florida type might have caused a civil war...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 11:34 am
There's only one way I see fit of settling this:

Apple pie eating contest.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 11:39 am
steissd wrote:
Well, when the sides cannot come to agreement on some specific and important question, interference of judge(s) may be required. At least, in the democratic countries. In some banana republic electoral crisis of Florida type might have caused a civil war...

Steissd, Supreme Court justices are appointed for life, precisely because this removes them from political influence once their nominations have been approved by the Senate. The United States Constitution provides a mechanism for determining the President if the Electoral College cannot, and that is for the decision to be made in the House of Respresentatives, which is what happened in the 1800 election. Many Americans deeply resent that a Court seen to be conservative, was used to elect Bush, given that there is a principal of separation of powers inherent in our form of government. Once appointed, a Supreme Court justice cannot be interfered with by either the Legislative or the Executive branches. Many Americans feel that the Judicial branch had no justifiable reason to be called to determine the result of an Executive branch election.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 11:57 am
Hey, slappy,

Think the challengee gets the choice of weapons, and as for the panel of judges I do believe said panel should be comprised entirely of women draped in black with "noseeum" face veils, and just to make it fair, LittleK and Phoenix can be alternates.

(I don't do politics, sooooo)

Hey, setanta, If you're guarding the food bowl, who's gonna say, "en garde". You'd make a good second. Very Happy
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 01:13 pm
I agree...the women should be wearing face veils...ONLY face veils.
0 Replies