Therapy

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 06:19 pm
Well, we are finally going to try marriage counsiling for the first time next week. It's about time because I feel like I am going out of my mind. The more I try to act like a mature adult living in adult situations, the more child like my husband becomes. Every time I ask him to do or not to do something his reply is always "don't tell me what to do." I tell him, "you act like a child I'm gonna treat you like a child." It's a pitty that I hate him so much today figuring I will probably still be mad at him tommorrow night and tommorrow night is valentines day. For some reason last night went really well, we were at a party and he was being all cute and lovey dovey, and then this morning its like dr. jekal and mr. hyde. Sunday is my day to sleep in and be lazy if I feel like it. My mother was going to stop by around 12 and we were going to go out to lunch. My husband woke up early and insisted I get out of bed to start cleaning the apartment (our sunday ritual for some reason). I looked at the clock and it was only 9:30. I told him that I didn't feel like getting out of bed yet and that I would get up a little later. Apparently that wasn't good for him and he became obnoxious like a little child would. He keep poking me saying "get up get up get up get up...." over and over and when I had had enough of that he pulled the all the sheets and blankets off the bed. I am NOT a morning person and this really pissed me off. He also threw open the blinds and blasted the tv. He also assigned me to what I would be cleaning, when I told him that I would not be the one making the now destroyed bed, he told me that it was my fault that the bed was a disaster because I didn't get up when he told me to. He is like my brother and father all mixed into one person. I get the poking from him like my brother would do, and the assigning chores like my father would do.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 821 • Replies: 9
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 06:30 pm
Good grief.
0 Replies

DestinysDad

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 04:39 pm
I think maybe you should send the hubby to a couple therapy sessions on his own after the joint session. Also, you need to instill a little fear into your relationship ... i would be terrified to even think about doing anything like that to my wife!
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 05:12 pm
Mr. Kitten would NEVER DARE do such a thing.

DestinysDad is right. And you're right: He's acting like a child. Cripes I wouldn't even tolerate that from a child!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 06:06 pm
Controlling little SOB, isn't he??? He has problems with anger management, as well as behaving as an adult. I think that this little boy needs LOTS of therapy, before he will learn to behave like a grownup.

Quote:
I get the poking from him like my brother would do, and the assigning chores like my father would do.

Sounds like he learned his behaviors from dear old dad. You two need to work that out in therapy, and let him know, in no uncertain terms, that you will not tolerate behavior like that. But first of all, you need to take the high ground, and keep your "cool", while he is behaving like a six year old.
0 Replies

kitkat bar

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 05:40 pm
DestinysDad wrote:
I think maybe you should send the hubby to a couple therapy sessions on his own after the joint session. Also, you need to instill a little fear into your relationship ... i would be terrified to even think about doing anything like that to my wife!

You read my mind. I already told him, in a nice way, that I would like to try at least four sessions, the first one with both of us, the second and third one with only one of us, and the fourth one both of us again. I told him I know that somethings he isn't comfortable telling me about but if he just got them out of his system he would probably feel a lot better. For those that are interested, I will post how our first session went and wheather or not I will be taking my husband home or a 6 year old child.
0 Replies

rodbogey

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 09:45 pm
Your hubby is absolutely insane. I have one word for you: Divorce. He needs to grow up and you or any grown up do not need those scenes.
0 Replies

ILoveSax

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 08:02 am
Sounds like he is trying to make you behave like his Mom did.

"He is like my brother and father all mixed into one person. I get the poking from him like my brother would do, and the assigning chores like my father would do. "

Did you ever think that might have been the reason you were attracted to him...ie you felt comfortable in that type of relationship, even while you hated the treatment.

The questions is. What must you do to show him that you will not put up with that type of behavior.
Perhaps "Don't ever poke me again!" in absolute commanding voice.

Going along with it simply reinforces his bad behaviour.

"don't tell me what to do." Obviously he is telling you what to do. It looks like the style of relationship that he is used to, he is the boss and you are the servant.

You sound much too balanced to be in a relationship with someone so immature. You need to be in an equal relationship. Neither should be boss. Both should consult on decisions. The word for the day should be "We".

What other things does he do that reminds you of a child?
0 Replies

duce

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 08:22 am
and it was only 9:30

Apparently you were going to Skip Sunday School
0 Replies

kitkat bar

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 06:17 pm
ILoveSax wrote:

"don't tell me what to do." Obviously he is telling you what to do.

Wow, I never thought of that before, you are so right! What else does he do that makes me think he is a child? Well, video games and the internet is his life, every single free moment he has he is playing some kind of shoot em' up video game on his computer. It goes so far as i'll ask him to do something before I leave for school knowing that he will have the day off or that he will be home earlier than I, and when I come home, he is in the same place I left him in, at the computer playing video games and of course nothing has been done.
0 Replies