Corpus double check

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 05:51 pm
In the corpus of the most common English words, how can a member of the general public double check the words they list?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 441 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 05:55 pm
huh?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 07:41 pm
Hellufa interesting title. I hardly ever drop into English unless I see Roberta, Navagator, or the seldom seen OristarA.

As to the answer, corpus, the general public is just going to have to learn to do its own proofreading. It sounds like an insegrevious paradigm, but there it is.
0 Replies

corpusquestioner

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 09:01 pm
If you don't have a substantive reply to the question, don't respond here.

I took a TEFL/TESL course last fall and was given a handout titled:

300 Most Common English Words In Rank Order

This is known as the corpus. When you punch these above words into google you find websites but not footnoting to verify this. What are their sources is my question.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 11:30 pm
Yes Sir!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 06:20 am
Quote:
If you don't have a substantive reply to the question, don't respond here.

corpusquestioner - Now that you have taken the TEFL/TESL course, you might want to consider taking a course in manners. I think that you need that, badly! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 10:55 pm
I googled "most common words in English" and opened the top few sites. I found these two quotes right off (different websites):

Quote:
Based on the combined results of British English, American English and Australian English surveys of contemporary sources in English: newspapers, magazines, books, TV, radio and real life conversations - the language as it is written and spoken today.

Quote:
This is a list of the 3000 most commonly used words in American newspapers and popular magazines. We compiled this list by taking forty newspapers and magazines and simply sorting the words and then counting the frequency of the words.

I suspect that's how most of these lists are made. As far as I know, there is no single "corpus" that's universally accepted. One reason would be the difference in English as it's used in different parts of the world. The first site quoted above counted words in publications from many countries and sources; the second quote is from a site that used a rather small sample of American publications. The "corpuses" (corpi?) are probably similar, especially at the most-used part of the list...

Izzat substantive enuf? Pay attention to Phoenix -- she speaks wisely.
0 Replies