stoic mother won't go to doctor advice on problem needed

Vivien

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 03:30 am
not advice on getting her to the doctor needed (heavy guns if we have to get her there are 'selfishness of letting us all worry ourselves sick about her' - it can only be used so many times though!) I'd like info on the possible causes of the problem below.

My mother is a stoic and needs a tranquilliser dart gun to get her to go to the doctor. She hates taking medication unless she truly believes it is necessary and shrugs off problems as 'they'll go away on their own'.

She has severe asthma (late onset), polymyalgia rheumatica, spondylolisthesis (hope I spelt that ok - congenital deformity of the spine, not visible but causing arthritis and constant pain, severe and debilitating at times).

She has always been a busy bustling woman, dashing about.

She's now in her mid 70's

She has periodic lows in health (only since she got older) and recently (months apart) coinciding with these she's developed a black eye. It starts with a faint bruised appearance in her eyelid and spreads around the socket, the previous occurences disappeared after a few days.

My father rang last night to say she looks as though he's punched her! another black eye and from his description worse. She is doing her usual dismissive 'it'll go away, stop fussing'.

I want to know the possible reasons and causes - I'm trying to persuade her to see a doctor but don't hold out too much hope Rolling Eyes

oh - she takes her asthma medication regularly - after the doctor sat her down and said 'you will die if you don't - and something for slightly high cholesterol (don't know what). She takes no pain killers Rolling Eyes as she doesn't like taking drugs 'unecessarily' Rolling Eyes

what could be causing it? I assume it is a small haemorrhage - should we be worrying about possible strokes? does she need to see a doctor as a matter of urgency?

any advice will be gratefully received as we are worried about her

ps - I've just spoken to NHS Direct - our national health helpline. They asked if the bruises faded gradually or just disappeared - they fade gradually. They also advised a routine appointment and blood tests - I phone her and the reply is 'I'm fine and I'm NOT going to the doctor so leave me alone'! They also asked if she has bruises elsewhere - we don't think so.

(my dad isn't guilty by the way! but he's very worried about her)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,258 • Replies: 12
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 04:56 am
I think the health folk are thinking of leukaemia when they ask about the bruising elsewhere.

Other than that, I am sorry, I cant help you.

Sounds like some sort of blood disorder - but why just one eye........
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 11:04 am
Vivien, I can't help either, but I wonder if the medication could be the culprit. Also, you might consider this. As the skin ages, the capillaries are more exposed and the slightest trauma can cause an appearance of bruising over various parts of the body. Let us know how things go.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 02:46 pm
well ..... she's refusing to go to the doctor - and yes leukemia was the first thing that came to my mind Crying or Very sad but she isn't (apparently) bruising elsewhere.

I'll work on her going to the doctor - nag nag nag drip drip drip ....

I wondered about side effects of the polymyalgia, which the doctor when he first diagnosed it long ago described as affecting her veins and arteries as well, I also wondered about anaemia as she had a history of anaemia when she was young ... I think I will write to her doctor telling him of our concerns so that they are aware when she is next seen - they might call her in for an 'asthma check' and give her a more thorough check once she's in. Trouble is she won't let my dad go in with her so she'll be just telling them she fine Rolling Eyes

thanks both
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Feb, 2005 04:09 pm
Well, slight eye hemorrhages are no joke, at the least she should see an opthamologist.
0 Replies

Newt

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 02:29 am
Hi Vivien,

Has anyone ever told your mother how selfish she is being? Has anyone asked her what she thinks life will be like for you or your father if she were to die, especially if it was for something preventable? Maybe that approach would work.

Hope she's ok. My sympathies.
Newt
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 02:42 am
Hi Newt - yes we use that one but she insists that nothing is wrong Crying or Very sad - I bring in my daughters as well and the unfairness on them if anything happens to her.

I am going to write to her doctor detailing the problem and hoping that he'll call her in for a check up - she'd go then.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 11:25 am
Vivian--

Good luck. Strong-mindedness can be both a blessing and a curse.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2005 01:35 pm
Don't people bruise more easily if they have an iron deficiency (anemia?)

I could be wrong.

Viv, I don't know how y'all's health care system works over there, but can you get any of the free doctors to make house calls? Surely she wouldn't turn down someone who had taken a trip to see her.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 03:31 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Vivian--

Good luck. Strong-mindedness can be both a blessing and a curse.

can't it just!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 03:35 am
Portal Star wrote:
Don't people bruise more easily if they have an iron deficiency (anemia?)

I could be wrong.

Viv, I don't know how y'all's health care system works over there, but can you get any of the free doctors to make house calls? Surely she wouldn't turn down someone who had taken a trip to see her.

I think so (anaemia/bruising) and I've said to her that she may need iron injections (the quick but more unpleasant way of replacing iron).

Yes our medical system is free - but - getting a doctor to make a housecall is almost impossible! they only call out for people too ill to get to the surgery - which of course she isn't.

When she was very ill with a chest infection a few weeks back I actually called the doctor out to her without letting her know, because she refused to go to the surgery, She was ok about it whereas I'd expected an explosion!!

stubborn doesn't begin to describe my mother when she makes her mind up!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 10:44 am
This'll sound like easy psychologizing from afar, but some of this stubbornness may be sheer fear.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 02:04 pm
possibly true - but she does have this deep belief that drugs and medications have as many nasty side effects as benefits - and of course it often true.

She has this problem with her spine and years ago when she was in her late 30's they wanted to put her on Diazepam to help - she asked what it would do and then refused it - she would of course have been well and truly addicted long since if she'd taken it. They thought it would relax her spine and ease the pain but she said no thanks she didn't want to live life tranquillised.
0 Replies