can someone help please

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 09:09 am
can someone help me please

Explain why it is important to interact with clients when helping them to eat and drink
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 939 • Replies: 12
No top replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 09:31 am
Explain why it is important to interact with clients when helping them to eat and drink

Hi Natasha:

I don't understand what the question parameters are. I have no idea of why you have to help them eat or drink. Could you give more info as to why you would do this and why they're your clients?
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 09:43 am
Some elderly patients in nursing homes require help to eat and drink. It is important to interact with them because they are human beings! Pretty simple.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 10:22 am
I would think interaction would be important for several reasons, natasha.

For one thing, it is the perfect time for you to slow down and truely find out their needs. Or how they are feeling. Or perhaps, just show them a display of love.

I think the elderly, many times, do not have family members visit them in nursing homes, and such, to the extent that the patient would like. Therefore by talking to them, you can help relieve some of that lonliness.

Even a patient that does not interact back because of physical disabilities...can benefit. The softness and tone of your voice can help them to get a sense about you. It can help them to trust you. If nothing else, it can calm them.

Just my 2 cents. Smile
0 Replies

natasha19

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 01:39 pm
bobsmythhawk i work in a nursing home
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 02:36 pm
natasha19 wrote:
bobsmythhawk i work in a nursing home

OK, now your question makes more sense. The reason it is important to interact with your clients when you help them to sit up and take some nourishment is because they are human beings, not objects to be fed. A human being wishes to be treated as such, to be reassured that he/she is not being considered as just as an object.
0 Replies

natasha19

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 02:38 pm
THANKS
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 03:48 pm
It helps to even just look them in the eye, and smile.

So many caregivers don't even do this. They almost always smile back.

It's sweet, and it makes YOU feel better about your job, too.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 04:11 pm
Thanks Natasha:

A caregiver for the elderly can be a thankless task. My ex-wife does this but for an elderly woman still in a the family home (no children there). It can be a daunting task. I've been there when the woman has asked me who I am a number of times in the same day. This although she remembers with clarity events from 50 to eighty years back.
Normal feedback for work environments don't seem to exist here. The only reward seems to the mental pat on the back you give yourself for a job well done. Some of the other rewards are job security as this vocation doesn't fluctuate as do other job markets. There are definitely thing you can say and do to help them (and yourself). Try to give them activities so they're not just vegetables hanging around. It helps their feelings of self worth and will also supply increased activity to the brain which may have atrophied to some point. In their more lucid moments they realize how much you're helping them. Individual cases vary of course. This is certainly a necessary task you're performing and my hat is off to you for such a challenging career.
0 Replies

natasha19

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 11:08 am
thanks to you all i have finished that unit
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2005 12:36 pm
The lesson learned can be applied to other units...
0 Replies

naqeeb ullah khan kakar

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 01:16 am
bobsmythhawk wrote:

Hi Natasha:

i am also in truble like u plz help me. there is one girl in our university i like that so much but she cannot leaft me plz give me some idea becouse u r a girl and u know more about the girls

naqeeb ullah khan kakar
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 05:44 am
Good morning naqeeb ullah khan kakar and welcome to a2k. I didn't understand your question. No, I'm not a gir. Leaft is not a word I know. Could you try again to be clearer about what it is you hope to accomplish and give me an idea of how this girl thinks or acts.
0 Replies