Wither Belichick?

jjorge

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2018 12:05 pm
Not just where he'll go with his four early 2018 draft selections --although I can't wait to see what he does-- but more broadly. How many more years?
How will he and Tom Brady work this year? What will he and Gronk do?
How will the estrangement around Brady (and now Gronk's) trainer Alex Guererro be dealt with. Who retire (or leave) first? Bill? or Tom?
As he said in an unusually candid interview with Mike Reiss (2011) "I'm a hard guy to work for."

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4812776/reflecting-on-the-day-bill-belichick-said-im-not-an-easy-guy-to-play-for
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,144 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2018 01:34 pm
@jjorge,

Coach turns 66 next week... can't see him staying on into his 70's, but who knows...

Brady isn't showing any signs of slowing down at 41... if he can avoid a major injury, he could play another three, four years...

no telling what Gronk might do... looks like a change of scenery would do him some good...
jjorge

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2018 04:08 am
@Region Philbis,
Just guessing, but I'd say Belichick will hang in there for another 4 years.
Agree that he may not want to be coaching in his seventies. It'll be interesting to see what BB DOES do upon retirement though. He loves every aspect of the game from assessing college prospects to training young coaches etc etc. I don't expect to see him sitting behind a desk at ESPN! Anyway, I suspect BB will remain for a little while after TB retires and he'll be challenged by the task of reconfiguring the team under another QB.
Tom may have another 3-4 years left in in him, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say he'll play TWO more seasons. His wife can be expected to continue trying to persuade him to retire and his children may begin to exert a greater claim on him and his time. What I can't envision is what TB would DO in retirement. I don't think he'd be content with simply a jet-set life of play. Would his fitness program and products --the whole TB-12 thing he is doing with Guerrero-- be enough to engage him? I dunno.
I will say I have known numerous people who remained in their conventional careers overlong because they simply didn't have a vision of an appealing retirement activity.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 08:05 am
...NFL Draft Day! I've been waiting for this since the Super Bowl!

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/23264436/2018-nfl-draft-herbies-awards-kirk-herbstreit-gives-best-picks-day-2-steals-more
0 Replies