How Is Calling A Woman A Neanderthal Sexist?

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2018 01:50 am
Given the fact that our sadly extinct cousins had two sexes as well, this would appear to make little sense. "Sexist" accusation at the One minute 24 second mark.

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2018 05:23 pm
It's political ganging on, looks to me. I would need more of the conversation for context on the neanderthal comment to change my mind, but I don't consider what I heard in the video sexist.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2018 05:29 pm
As much as I dislike Morneau, I think he was referring to the entire Conservative party, not Ms. Raitt specificially - and I have to agree with him. The PC's have taken a horrible step backward with their new leader.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/morneau-liberals-scheer-trudeau-1.4597878
Blickers

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2018 09:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
Apparently the parliamentary systems in Canada and the UK has these sessions of people shouting at each other as a normal course of events, it's very surprising compared to the US' House or Senate.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2018 09:47 pm
@ehBeth,
I agree that he was referring to all the people who opposed the specific program to empower women, not just Raitt specifically. Besides, the world Neanderthal here is used in the old fashioned sense of someone who is behind the times socially and technically and it is extremely mild. Considering that Raitt was basically calling Morneau, the defender of the program, a phony who didn't believe in empowering women but was just advancing the program to get votes, I don't think it would have been inappropriate for him to call Raitt specifically a Neanderthal for opposing it.

Turnabout is fair play.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2018 10:21 pm
@Blickers,
Insulting a woman, no matter what the insult, is sexism... except when the woman is a conservative.

I think that is the point.

Heck, in the US voting against a woman is sexism (except when the woman is a conservative).
maxdancona

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2018 10:31 pm
A challenge for the Americans here; List an insult against Michelle Bachman that you consider to be sexist, or an insult against Nancy Pelosi that isn't sexist.

I don't think anyone can... charges of "sexism" are often a game to get a political advantage rather than a sincere attempt to promote gender equality.
oralloy

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2018 11:23 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
How Is Calling A Woman A Neanderthal Sexist?

It isn't.

It may even be a true statement if the woman has light colored skin.

Caucasian skin color was a Neanderthal trait that we acquired by interbreeding with them before they went extinct.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2018 11:34 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Caucasian skin color was a Neanderthal trait that we acquired by interbreeding with them before they went extinct.
Caucasians usually have an olive to a very light brown skin tone.
Neanderthalers (see especially the latest report in the Proceedings of the Royal Society B had a pale skin.

One of my wife's friends is a Neanderthaler = she lived there in her childhood and youth Wink
oralloy

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 12:05 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Caucasians usually have an olive to a very light brown skin tone.

Well if you have a better term for very pale skin color, let me know and I'll use that instead (if I agree that it's a better term).
roger

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 12:20 am
@oralloy,
pink?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 12:34 am
@oralloy,
Well, I don't. But I do have met several Caucasians (quite a few came here after 1990).
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 01:02 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Neanderthalers (see especially the latest report in the Proceedings of the Royal Society B had a pale skin.

This makes perfect sense, contrary to depictions of them which usually show them with dark skin. Being that they lived in the northern latitudes they would have needed light skin in order to get sufficient ultraviolet light to produce vitamin D for calcium assimilation.

The Inuits have dark skin, but they get vitamin D from their food, such as fish and polar bear livers.
Blickers

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 01:05 am
@oralloy,
Quote oralloy:
Quote:

A common misconception. Homo Sapiens developed lighter skin in Northern lattitudes on their own.

Europeans did not inherit pale skins from Neanderthals
By Karl Gruber

Genes for fair skin swept through the European population long after Neanderthals died out
The people who built Stonehenge 5000 years ago probably had the same pallid complexion of many modern inhabitants of the UK. Now it seems that the humans occupying Britain and mainland Europe only lost the darker skins of their African ancestors perhaps just 6000 years earlier, long after Neanderthals had died out.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn22308-europeans-did-not-inherit-pale-skins-from-neanderthals/
oralloy

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 01:08 am
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:
This makes perfect sense, contrary to depictions of them which usually show them with dark skin. Being that they lived in the northern latitudes they would have needed light skin in order to get sufficient ultraviolet light to produce vitamin D for calcium assimilation.

The Inuits have dark skin, but they get vitamin D from their food, such as fish and polar bear livers.

Another factor is, the Inuits have only been living in the polar regions for a few thousand years.

The Neanderthals had a few hundred thousand years of polar living (including a couple ice ages) for evolutionary pressures to alter their skin color.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 01:13 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
Genes for fair skin swept through the European population long after Neanderthals died out

I'm a bit skeptical. Is there a good explanation as to why this skin color evolved in Europeans at this time (and did so so quickly and completely)?
Blickers

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 01:19 am
Besides, Scheer kept hammering away at how the Liberals don't like "strong conservative women". Well, you'll never see a better example of a strong woman than a Neanderthal lady. Check the video:

Blickers

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 01:47 am
@oralloy,
Quote oralloy:
Quote:
I'm a bit skeptical. Is there a good explanation as to why this skin color evolved in Europeans at this time (and did so so quickly and completely)?

The reason is secondary. We do know that Europeans up until 7,000 or 8,000 years ago were much darker than now:

I get a kick out of the fact that Chdeddar Man was lactose intolerant.

As for the reasons, the speculation is that, as Coluber mentioned, Vitamin D. Vitamin D can be obtained through plenty of sunlight, and also can be gotten through eating primarily meat and fish. Around 7,000 years ago these people were replaced by a new group of light skinned people who were primarily agricultural. Vitamin D cannot be obtained through plant food. And since Northern Europe has considerably less sunlight than Africa, the skin had to lighten up when the people were eating mostly plant food and not meat or fish.
oralloy

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 02:34 am
@Blickers,
So the theory is that the neolithic revolution is what drove the evolutionary pressures towards lighter skin in northern latitudes?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2018 04:31 am
@oralloy,
Anthropologists suspect that the light skin of Europeans typical of today only became established after the spread of agriculture - and perhaps even later. A >DNA comparison< a few years ago revealed that the appearance of Europeans only changed fundamentally over the last 5,000 years.
0 Replies