Tenn. Teacher Charged With Sexual Battery

gozmo

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 07:58 am
Nimh,

Let's not turn this into an exercise on who here is an authority on child abuse, it is certainly not you or I. Also, let's not get PC about it; leave the avenues of discussion open. You may find it uncomfortable to consider a thirteen year old capable of healthy sex but that does not make it impossible.
Yes, I am speculating , simply speculating , it is your insult which is gratuitous. We are all speculating because without an intimate knowledge of the facts and persons involved it is all we can do. Nevertheless we air our views and hopefully productively.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 08:41 am
gozmo wrote:
Let's not turn this into an exercise on who here is an authority on child abuse, it is certainly not you or I. Also, let's not get PC about it; leave the avenues of discussion open. You may find it uncomfortable to consider a thirteen year old capable of healthy sex but that does not make it impossible.
Yes, I am speculating , simply speculating , it is your insult which is gratuitous.

I did not mean to be insulting, and I am no more an authority on child abuse than anyone who's experienced the consequences from close by. I did mean to point out, however, that your assertion about "satisfactory intrercourse" was mere speculation, which was not based in what we have read about the story here, and thats why I separated it out from the sentence that otherwise dealt with whether thirteen year olds are capable of having intercourse, per se.

I am not particularly "PC" (whatever that means in this context) about the possibility of thirteen or fourteen year olds having sex, per se, but having sex with an adult fifteen years older is a different can of worms altogether, not to mention her being in a position of authority. The question isnt sex, per se, it is power, as it most always is in abuse cases.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 03:40 pm
gozmo wrote:
dlowan,

I agree the woman was in loco parentis and that alone is sufficient to place her in serious breach (regardless of age difference). She has broken the law and is an abuser. I still contend that the boy has not necessarily suffered damage. Do you really think we should wait until our brains are mature before engaging in sex , I mean ought we wait until 23. I think common sense, personal experience and the evidence of nature suggest otherwise. I don't want to see a difference. I do believe that sometimes there is a difference.

I am interested in your thoughts about the pathetic legal protection to which you refer. It seems to me that detection and proof are the problem, can we improve this by statute.

Finally to anyone who may read this:

I am not anxious to champion this particular woman. My interest here was provoked by comments in another discussion on this site about a woman who was imprisoned for sexual activity with a young boy. They have two children and are to marry. Note he is now 22 and quite close to the magic 23. There were various comments, some untrue, most just speculative about the sanity of the couple. I discovered that the woman had indeed been diagnosed with severe mental illness which is not surprising considering the behaviour. It happens that my wife has a similar illness and I know firsthand that it is very possible for a thirteen year old to be the dominant partner in a relationship with a person so afflicted.
Whenever I read stories like the one which has provoked this discussion I am inclined to suspect insanity.

I think the age difference (until child reaches legal age of consent - yes, I know it is a broad brush, rather than a fine tool, but we hafta mark SOME point, right?) is the key - the nature of the relationship is another factor. People in a care-taking role have an even greater responsibility re this than casual acquaintances.

That is certainly how it works in SA - kids having sex is usually not seen as "abuse" - though investigation may well be warranted, depending on their age, re whether they have been subjected to unappropriate material/conduct. A 19 year old having sex with a 16 year old - breaches age of consent - but unlikely to draw any official interest. 45 year old with 16 year old - illegal, a worry, very likely abuse - a 45 year old having sex with a 13 year old - clearly abuse - 30 year old TEACHER having sex with a 16 year old - well, in my view that is abuse - DECS seem to worry about that now - didn't used to give much of a damn. Let the kid turn 17 (age of consent in SA as far as I know) and the adult stop being their teacher - it's a free country. (Some codes of ethics, though, forbid any relationship with, for instance, a former client, both because not doing so gives wiggle room for current therapists - [the profession I am personally aware of] - to breach boundaries - and because the relationship of client/therapist is considered to continue to affect the nature of the relationship. I strongly support this - because th anature of a therapeutic relationship is such that boundaries MUST be rock solid.)

You didn't ask - but I will tell you anyway. In my experience, boys with older women - yes, it is damaging. It is hard for them to discuss - cos it is supposed to be so fabbo don't you know - but breaches of boundaries for growing kids can certainly be very bad for them - especially with adults in ferking carer roles.

I have no crystal ball - I cannot comment on all situations - I can imagine, for instance, a sexual experience initiated by a casual older female acquaintance for a well developed young fella might well be a source of ongoing joy in later life (as well as useful instruction) - but - in my view, the need to establish safe boundaries for kids supercedes everything. I do not think you are arguing against this, anyway, are you?

The pathetic legal protection? Well, yes - the laws are clear - but, as you say, detection is very hard - and, in my experience, successful prosecution almost impossible. I guess I am considering the legal system as a gestalt here.

I might add that, for many - both abused kids, and adult victims of rape - the court experience (when it happens) is frequently rated as even worse than the original abuse.

Edit: I haven't had time to go back and find out what the "satisfactory intercourse" bit was about - but just a general comment - lots of abused kids find the experience (unless it is violent of course) physically pleasurable - often the abuser is a loved and admired figure. This is often one of the most difficult things for folk to deal with - that they physically enjoyed it - and something that needs to be dealt with very fully in therapy - and that they still love the abuser ditto. Sigh.
0 Replies

gozmo

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 06:15 am
dlowan,

I appreciate your post and am not inclined to take issue with any of your points. By "satisfactory" I mean "of benefit and without harm", this I think is an important consideration in relations between young boys and older women. Without going into detail, I've had long conversations with a psychiatrist about the harm of such unions and formed the opinion that failure to properly complete the act is very liable to destroy self esteem and ability to achieve in later life.
0 Replies

Duke of Lancaster

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 11:55 pm
Well, that's what teachers do best....sleep around with the students Laughing
That's the truth.
0 Replies

Duke of Lancaster

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 11:58 pm
ohh, I forgot.... and steal money from the school committee, and steal school supplies
0 Replies

Princess121555

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 07:37 am
Dictionary:definition of child and definition of adult
Surely you jest that a thirteen year old seduced a twenty-seven year old teacher! She is an adult and although this child may me capable of fathering a child, he is still a child.

In my opinion, a warped sense of morals pertaining to the teacher.

It's not relevant that in other countries children marry as young as twelve. We are talking about this country.

It's time for a reality check?
0 Replies