How did you propose to your wife (or husband)?

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 09:23 pm
I thought this would be an interesting thread for those who are married, or on the verge.

I will start with my story which is two part:
1. The way I planned was to write out, "Marry me L - 2003" in a brick at our University's new football complex under construction (The bricks are for writing donor names and cost $200, but I thought it would be a great way to eternalize that day). We have season tickets and before a football game, I would get the tailgating crowd and we'd happen to walk upon that brick and I would propose on the spot.

This was tricky since it was pending a construction contract, so I went with the quicker proposal ...

2. I basically designed a card that looked like a gift certificate good for one diamond ring at a high end jeweler in town (this backfired on my wallet big time), and I propsed on her birthday after dinner. Nothing fancy, but effective.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 969 • Replies: 14
No top replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 11:54 am
Re: How did you propose to your wife (or husband)?
DestinysDad wrote:
Nothing fancy, but effective.

The end result is all that matters Very Happy

My story is:

I was going to school in Milwaukee and my girlfriend (now wife) was living in Rockford, Illinois. She would come up and visit me nearly every weekend. She would usually come up Friday night while I was at work and just wait for me to get home. I kind of liked the idea of having somebody to come home to after a long day but felt bad about her waiting there alone just waiting for me to get off of work.

So I drove all the way to an animal shelter in Waupaca Wisconsin to get these two:

http://arena2045.net/fritz/maxnswing.jpg
(Max-a-Million in the bag and Moodswing on the right)

The thing is I had to wait for my application to clear and Moodswing still had to be spayed before she could leave.

So I took a picture of them and placed it inside the ring box, placed the ring box on the table with a reading light shining down on it and placed a note that read: DO NOT OPEN next to the box.

When I got home from work she was waiting there and very happy to see me. I casually walked in and said, "I'm filthy... I'm going to take a shower" and went to the bathroom and took a shower. I figured if she waited this long, what was a few more minutes?

By the time I got out of the shower, got dressed and took the ring from where I was hiding it and placed it on my pinky finger to hide it, she was a nervous wreck. So I picked up the ring box and handed it to her and said, "Here... I got this for you." She opened it up to find the folded up picture of Max and Swing. She opened it up, looked at it, and said something to the effect of, "Ohh... thanks" is a sheepish, disappointed kind of voice.

I said that I felt bad about her being alone while waiting for me to get home every friday so I got her some companionship to keep her comany until I got home.

At this point she physically looked sad so I casually slid the ring off of my pinky finger, got down on one knee and said, "I'd also like to offer you companionship for the rest of your life. Will you marry me?" and opened up my hand to show her the ring.

She said yes. I put the ring on her finger. She hugged me. The rest of the weekend I think I'll keep to myself Very Happy
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 12:06 pm
Oh jp........ that made ME fall in love with you. hehehe
Great idea.

Mine also involved a cat.
MR wolfs cat that is.

He and I picked out a kitten from a shelter that looks kinda like yours jp. ;-)
after about a year of having her, she of course just loved mr wolf.. no questions asked.. I bought her a collar with a small bell on it. It drove him nuts, he hated it and so did the cat.
After about a month of this horrible bell he told me that it had to go. I had bought his ring about 3 weeks before this. He took the bell off the collar and put it in a drawer.
I took the bell, put it on her collar with his ring before he got home one day and just waited.
When he gets home, this cat does a marathon run from one side of the house to the other.. hehe.
So she did it that day... ding -ding-ding.. And was looking at me like I was nuts. He said, ' I want that bell off" . .. so I told him to take it off himself ( with a BIG grin ) ...
He took the cat into the kitchen and put her on the counter..
Came out a few seconds later with his ring.. and no bell. That is when I asked him to marry me. :-)

The cat has never worn another bell.. Laughing
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 12:08 pm
Re: How did you propose to your wife (or husband)?
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
DestinysDad wrote:
Nothing fancy, but effective.

The end result is all that matters Very Happy

My story is:

I was going to school in Milwaukee and my girlfriend (now wife) was living in Rockford, Illinois. She would come up and visit me nearly every weekend. She would usually come up Friday night while I was at work and just wait for me to get home. I kind of liked the idea of having somebody to come home to after a long day but felt bad about her waiting there alone just waiting for me to get off of work.

So I drove all the way to an animal shelter in Waupaca Wisconsin to get these two:

http://arena2045.net/fritz/maxnswing.jpg
(Max-a-Million in the bag and Moodswing on the right)

The thing is I had to wait for my application to clear and Moodswing still had to be spayed before she could leave.

So I took a picture of them and placed it inside the ring box, placed the ring box on the table with a reading light shining down on it and placed a note that read: DO NOT OPEN next to the box.

When I got home from work she was waiting there and very happy to see me. I casually walked in and said, "I'm filthy... I'm going to take a shower" and went to the bathroom and took a shower. I figured if she waited this long, what was a few more minutes?

By the time I got out of the shower, got dressed and took the ring from where I was hiding it and placed it on my pinky finger to hide it, she was a nervous wreck. So I picked up the ring box and handed it to her and said, "Here... I got this for you." She opened it up to find the folded up picture of Max and Swing. She opened it up, looked at it, and said something to the effect of, "Ohh... thanks" is a sheepish, disappointed kind of voice.

I said that I felt bad about her being alone while waiting for me to get home every friday so I got her some companionship to keep her comany until I got home.

At this point she physically looked sad so I casually slid the ring off of my pinky finger, got down on one knee and said, "I'd also like to offer you companionship for the rest of your life. Will you marry me?" and opened up my hand to show her the ring.

She said yes. I put the ring on her finger. She hugged me. The rest of the weekend I think I'll keep to myself Very Happy

**sigh**

Women melting all over A2K.... Very Happy
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 12:11 pm
my thoughts exactly bella.
And yeah, very true... nothing fancy necessary, the end result tops it all. ;-)
0 Replies

almach1

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 12:14 pm
props to shewolf. A woman proposes, YES!!
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 12:26 pm
almach1 wrote:
props to shewolf. A woman proposes, YES!!

I second that. Cool story and I bet nobody is happier about that bell then the cat.Very Happy

Bad proposal stories are fun too. I saw one on the news once where a guy tried to propose to his girl at a hockey game. He did the "Will you marry me" thing on the big display and everything.

The girl was unaware that this was going to happen, so when she turns around to see him on one kneee in front of everybody see freaks out and starts backing away.

The guy keeps moving forward trying to propose and the whole time the girl is shaking her head telling him not to do it. He keeps trying so finanlly she throws her beer at him and runs away. I felt bad for the guy but when I saw it on the news I couldn't help but laugh.
0 Replies

DestinysDad

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 12:31 pm
jpinMilwaukee, with the response to your story, good thing you're married already! I'm a huge cat person too, and enjoyed reading it, and I'm sure there will be some copy cat proposals in the coming years.

I still like my football idea best (what's more romantic than football season tix)?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 12:31 pm
Laughing

that IS funny..
I dont know any bad proposal stories.. I do know of a few stupid things that people have DONE when trying to propose..
This guy I knew about 10 years ago.. maybe not quite that long..
but anyway.. he decided he was going to propose to his g/f and put her ring in some potato salad , and proceeded to feed it to her.
She didnt choke.. thank goodness.. but you could HEAR her tooth hit that thing. Shocked
He invited me, and a few other people to dinner that night so we could all be there. Question he was a strange character to say the least.
She spit the ring out PISSED.. until she saw what it was, then left the table to clean it and put it on. THEN came back and he didnt really say anything to her, nothing too special that is aside the ' willyou marry me'.. hmm.. boring.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 12:33 pm
DestinysDad wrote:

(what's more romantic than football season tix)?

In my humble opinion....

sex on the field AFTER The proposal.. hehe:oops:
but that is just me Twisted Evil
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 12:54 pm
While dating, my wife-to-be had relocated to be near me (her parents, actually) and was desparately seeking fulltime work; as a result she scanned the classifieds daily.

I put a classified ad in the state's largest paper's employment section that read something like "SCIENCE TEACHER sought by English teacher to be partner in life and service. Will you marry me, Kim?"

Within an hour of the paper's delivery, I got a phone call and tearful acceptance.
0 Replies

DestinysDad

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 07:18 pm
Quote:
Within an hour of the paper's delivery, I got a phone call and tearful acceptance.

That sounds like a very thoughtful one, and one without much room for error ... sounds like it worked out to perfection.
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 07:26 pm
For D'sDad
The paper made sure I included her name; it made sense when I thought about it...
0 Replies

Krysia

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 06:07 pm
Wow, berm! That's creative!! Very Happy

My story is kinda boring. My fiance and I started off as friends. I was chasing after one guy, and he was chasing after another girl. Both were dead ends and left us rather heartbroken, but since we were each in the same boat, we found comfort in each other. I don't even know when/how we ended up becoming "boyfriend and girlfriend"; we just gradually ended up dating.

So I guess it should follow that the whole engagement thing was gradual as well. Two months into the relationship, I said to myself that there was no way I could never *not* marry him. We complemented each other perfectly. Just about every aspect of my "ideal man" was found in him. I never thought I'd be as happy as I was with him; before that, I thought that kind of love was just made up in Hollywood. Either that day or the following one, we just brought up the subject of marriage and decided that we each wanted to marry the other, but we never seriously discussed it until pretty recently. We each started to slip and refer to each other as "husband/wife" by then, and as he says, it's not like there's any question that we will be getting married in the future. We picked out a date and started making plans, and here we are!

KIND OF BORING. Laughing I think that he's going to get me a ring and do the whole traditional thing, just for kicks, and also so he has the chance to formally ask my father for his permission (as per my dad's culture). While it's not a cute romantic surprise thing, I prefer it this way, because I detest being suprised, and if he popped the question without me knowing he would, I'd be liable to have an anxiety attack or something equally embarassing!
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 07:33 pm
Aw, such sweet stories! I loved reading them.

DH & I lived together for 3 years before marrying, so we knew for a long time we'd be married....soon. We went on a trip to St. Augustine (Florida), and during that trip he put a little box I'd made him on the dashboard. He suggested I open it, and hinted, but I never did open it, thinking I knew what was in it already.

On the last morning of our vacation, he slipped a ring onto my finger while I was asleep, and asked me if I would marry him when I woke up. So sweet!

Then he told me the ring had been in the box on the dashboard all that time (several days). Laughing I understood why he'd suddencly become so scrupulous about locking the car doors!
0 Replies