Young Adults Giving Advice to their Parents

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 04:28 pm
Upward Advice Transmission in the Family: The Role of Gender in Young Adults Giving Advice to their Parents

"The flow of advice from parents to their children has been explored by developmental psychologists, producing important insights into child development and parent-child relationships.... Interestingly, the flow of advice in the opposite direction, from children to their parents, has not received attention from researchers. This study explores (a) the frequency of upward advice transmission and (b) the type of advice (solicited or unsolicited) that is transmitted. In particular, we look at the effects of gender-parent-gender and child-gender, as well as their interaction-on upward advice giving in family systems. Findings indicate a robust effect of parent-gender; adolescents and young adults gave significantly more advice to their mothers than to their fathers."

from: Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government, KSG Faculty Research Working Paper Series, Working Paper Number:RWP05-012
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 859 • Replies: 4
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 05:43 pm
Interesting!

I sure give my parents plenty of advice.

Whether the parents are divorced or not has to be a significant factor, I'd think.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 05:49 pm
Perhaps women have a greater tolerance for arrant balderdash than men do?

I'm glad to be advised in my areas of invincible ignorance--such as computers and calculus--I'm much less enthusiastic about being told how to suck eggs.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 11:45 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Perhaps women have a greater tolerance for arrant balderdash than men do?

I'm glad to be advised in my areas of invincible ignorance--such as computers and calculus--I'm much less enthusiastic about being told how to suck eggs.

I would - if you promise not to publish this :wink: - agree to the first. And of course, Noddy, you are correct with your second as well.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 11:47 pm
Interesting.... I'll try and read the link another time.
0 Replies