Blood donor demographics

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 11:47 am
I went to donate blood yesterday and it really struck me that most of the donors were around my age (mid 40s).

I'm wondering if there are certain demographics that are more likely to donate.

Has the popularity of tattooing decreased the number of young donors?

What impact has AIDS had on the demographic?

Or maybe is it just a different mindset? When I was growing up, donating was like voting - when you hit 18 it was something you did.

Or maybe its just my neighborhood. I go to the same place every 8 weeks so maybe I'm just seeing the same people over and over.

Am I noticing a trend or am I just imagining things?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,145 • Replies: 74
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 11:50 am
There are so many restrictions now that it may be affecting the demographics. Of course, a lot of those restrictions should have been in place years ago, but no one knew about AIDS or mad cow disease.

I used to donate until the mad cow rule went into effect. Because I spent too much time in the UK within the past 20 years, I've been stricken from the lists...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 11:52 am
Oh yes, travel. I didn't think about that. There are a lot of restrictions based on travel.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 11:54 am
For years, I couldn't donate because of the medication I was on and because my asthma was so out of control. I've only been donating for a couple of years.

The company I work for has regular blood drives, so it couldn't be easier. But everyone I work with asks me about it - why do I donate? Doesn't it hurt? No one else in my department ever donates. I can't understand it.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 12:07 pm
Mr. B is like that, mac11. He is not a donor and other than a fear of needles he can't explain why.

In the last year or so I've noticed that they started giving the physical before you filled out the questionarire. When I asked about it they said so many people were knocked out by high blood pressure and anemia that it just made sense to do that before anyone spent any more time.

I took Mo with me yesterday, he loves to go to the donation center (cookies, the older volunteers who pay him endless attention) and I said something to the effect that by the time he was old enough to donate they would probably have some type of artificial blood that they could use. The nurse said, with a sigh, that that was still such a long way off.

As the pool of donors shrinks I wonder what will happen.......
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 12:26 pm
I was googling around and found several articles that refer to the "aging donor population" but none of them address WHY young people aren't donating.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 12:31 pm
my hubby is terrified of giving blood. dunno why. prolly never tried.

The reason I started was because of 10 points of extra credit in my HS biology class. When I was there, I sat next to this guy and I must have looked nervous because he asked me if it was my first time. I said yes and he proceeded to tell me that he had given 60 gallons (yes, gallons) of blood to date. He said he would go to surrounding cities whenever he was able to donate again and give. He said his daugher had to have blood transfusions quite frequently and that he was not her blood type, so in order to give back, he dontated to help others. I thought that was a very touching story and I started giving blood regularly. Then I became anemic and sick and haven't been allowed to donate for a while. I might be able to now but I haven't been to a donation site for years. Suppose I should check out when the next drive is....you never know...the life I might save might be my own. And besides, I am O+. Everyone can use my blood.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 12:39 pm
mmm, I thought it was O neg that was considered universal donor. It's been a while since I knew this stuff. I did a quick check and here's a link -
http://www.bloodbook.com/compat.html
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 12:39 pm
Did you know that jehovahs Witnesses by the rules of thier religion, can not donate?
They believe that they are not supposed to give thier ' life blood' , not even to thier own children.
I wonder how much religious rules play into the downfall of donating?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 12:41 pm
ossobuco wrote:
mmm, I thought it was O neg that was considered universal donor. It's been a while since I knew this stuff. I did a quick check and here's a link -
http://www.bloodbook.com/compat.html

i don't know. hm.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 12:42 pm
That's the spirit, Bella Dea!

They should plant someone like that in every donation center. Back in the olden days, if I remember correctly, after you had donated a gallon you could earn a free pint for a friend or loved one who needed a transfusion.

This is kind of interesting:

Blood donors have many characteristics in common: age, sex, education, and economic status. Most donors are between the ages of 30 and 50 years old with an average age of 35. Among first time donors there is a large number of females, but with succeeding donations the number of females decreases, especially after their fourth donation (McCullough). Women in the childbearing years become iron deficient from menstrual blood loss and are therefore less likely to donate. As a result, the proportion of donations by males increases up to 80% after the fourth donation (Piliavin 5). In the 1970s, only 2%-3% of the donors were above 60 and only 4% were over 65. Yet today, among multi-gallon donors, 12% are over 65 years of age. The apparent aging of the donor population could reflect a shift in the population age in general, but also blood bank professionals have recognized that blood donation is safe for older individuals, and the donor age limits have been extended to attract older donors" (McCullough). Blood donors have more education and higher incomes than the national average. Donors with some college education make up a larger percentage of the donor population than the national average (Piliavin 6).

http://realscience.breckschool.org/upper/research/1997-98pictures/papers/Joshpaper/MDGFResearch.html
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 12:46 pm
GiveLife

Apparently, O can donate red blood cells to anyone. Not whole blood? Is that what that means?

Also, check this link...."Where do you fit?" This gives a little demo info.

Where Do You Fit?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 12:51 pm
I think O - is the univesal donor and O+ is the universal recipient.

This is a cool site about different religions and their take on organ donation:

http://informatics.buffalo.edu/organ-donation/info/info_religion.htm
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 12:53 pm
no, O neg isn't the universal recipient.
More later, gotta go to work..
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 01:00 pm
Here we go:

Type O-negative blood does not have any antigens. It is called the "universal donor" type because it is compatible with any blood type. Type AB-positive blood is called the "universal recipient" type because a person who has it can receive blood of any type. Although “universal donor” and “universal recipient” types are occasionally used to classify blood in an emergency, blood typing tests are always done to prevent transfusion reactions.

http://my.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/hw3681.asp
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 01:04 pm
Bloodbanking 101...

Your blood type consists of the ABO type and the Rh type. When Kristie says that she's Opos, it means that her ABO type is O (which actually just means she isn't A or B) and her Rh type is Positive (which means that her red cells possess the Rh (D) antigen or gene.

When you receive blood you can only receive units that don't react with the antibodies you have. A type O individual will naturally produce anti-A and anti-B because they don't carry those antigens on their cells. That's why they must receive type O blood. An A, B, or AB individual can also receive type O blood because there is nothing on the type O cells that will react with the naturally occurring blood group antibodies of the recipient.

On the Rh side, you either have the antigen or you don't so it's called Pos or Neg. If you are Rh Pos you will not form the Rh antibody so you can receive Rh Positive or Negative blood. If you are Rh negative you can form the antibody IF YOU ARE EXPOSED TO THE ANTIGEN but it is not naturally occurring. So, if an Rh negative individual receives Rh positive blood, or an Rh negative mother delivers an Rh positive baby then that individual can form the Rh antibodies and from that point forward MUST receive Rh negative blood. That's why they give RhoGam to Rh negative mothers who deliver an Rh positive baby.

So, O negative is the universal donor
O positive can be given to about 85% of the population
AB positive is the universal recipient
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 01:06 pm
ahhhh...........thanks!
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 01:08 pm
All though college I kept telling myself I would give at the next drive.
But the day would come and I would chicken out.

Then when I was teaching, the call went out for donors for the brother of
one of the cafeteria ladies. Three of my confreres and I went to Mercy
Hospital to donate. I was wreck and the last one to finish.

The guys had a great time ragging on me. "Hey George, the table is
contoured, but you're straight out. I can see daylight under your butt!"

But I did it, and I've been donating regularly ever since.

I wonder whether there is some cynicism among the young. I heard one
kid say that he heard the Red Cross makes a bundle selling the blood
they get. Why should he give it for free?

The info sheet they give you to read makes me feel I have led a very
sheltered life indeed. My favorite question: have you spent more than 72
consecutive hours in jail/prison?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 01:16 pm
I know a lot of people believe weird things...they stockpile the blood and it goes to waste....they sell it...you can get AIDS from donating.....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 01:17 pm
Wow! That is cynicism! Scary.

I guess I should be glad that I grew up in a more idealistic time.

I know what you mean about the shelter life but still, I'm always happy to answer only one question "yes" -- the "are you healthy today" question.

Daylight under your but....

<snicker>

Good for you for overcoming your fears, George.
0 Replies