How can I get married or registered fast? please help

nappy

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 06:20 pm
Here's the situation.

My girlfriend and I want to get married but we are doing so at the consent of family members. THUS we are not looking for a ceremony necessarily...what we want to do is get "registered".

We are anticipating a full blown ceremony like 2 years down the road.

Basically, how can I make this girl a keeper as quietly as possible? We want it solidified in law.

Perhaps I should go to Las Vegas?

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 960 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 06:23 pm
nappy- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

Why don't you go to your local city hall, and get yourselves a license? You can then probably get married right there. Want to go to Vegas? That might be fun, but you don't have to go to the trouble.
0 Replies

nappy

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 06:28 pm
hi
I am situated in Downtown Los Angeles

Anyway so I just go get a liscense? What follows after that? Is a ceremony and stuff required?

Because I do want to "RE-Marry" again in 2 years (for the sake of family, friends) with the same girl if you get my drift.

thanks
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 06:47 pm
Are you both "of age". If so, here's what you have to do.

http://www.wedalert.com/content/articles/married_ca.asp

Quote:
Each county offers civil ceremonies performed by a judge or commissioner. The cost is approximately $40.00. For additional information call your County Clerk's office.
0 Replies

nappy

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 06:50 pm
hmm
yes I do sound juvenile but I am in grad school

i nearing 23, she will turn 25 later this year.

Phoenix I cannot thank you enough, your help has been exceptional.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 06:53 pm
OK, so there is no problem. There are probably a lot of judges in the Yellow Pages who will marry you. Good luck, and lots of happiness!
0 Replies

nappy

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 07:00 pm
hi phoenix
Sorry but one more question:(

Do you know of any states where the duration of a Marriage Liscense is undetermined? The California liscense seems to expires in 3 months:

"Valid: License is valid for 90 days. The license can only be used within the State of California."

So I am assuming that after 3 months a ceremony is required to finalize the marriage? Here is a quote from the website:

"And, believe it or not, just because you have your marriage license sent to you in the mail does not mean you are officially married. You need to have a justice of the peace or a religious clergyman sign the document. On your wedding day, you'll give your chaplain your marriage license, then after the ceremony, he'll sign it and send it to the proper government agency for validation."

Thank you very much
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 07:03 pm
I'm pretty sure it means you have to use that particular license within 90 days. However, if you let it expire, I don't think there is any reason (aside from the hassle) not to get another one later.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 07:04 pm
You get the license and use it for a civil ceremony at the town hall. No fuss, no frills.

Two years down the road, you have the church wedding with all the trimmings. No second license needed.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 07:06 pm
Yep, seems like it:

Quote:
In some states, even after you get your license you'll have to wait a short period of time -- one to three days -- before you tie the knot. In some situations, the waiting period is waivable. If you wait too long, your license will expire. Licenses are good for 30 days to one year, depending on the state. If your license expires before you get married, you can apply for a new one.

http://consumer.courttv.findlaw.com/family/nolo/faq/EB95C264-54FF-4D07-A89342705EE7133F.html
0 Replies

nappy

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 07:10 pm
Thanks for ur help Noddy and Sozobe,

With regard to ur quotation Noddy; "You get the license and use it for a civil ceremony at the town hall. No fuss, no frills.".......

Does the civl ceremony require any witnesses (ie. a friend) and how soon can the ceremony happen after i get the license?

ty
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 07:12 pm
In California, you can get married immediately after getting your license.

Found that here:

http://consumer.courttv.findlaw.com/family/nolo/faq/EB95C264-54FF-4D07-A89342705EE7133F.html#requirements

You also don't require any blood tests.

Usually two witnesses are required, I'm not sure of CA, will look for that.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 07:14 pm
Here we go:

Quote:
You must have at least one witness present at your ceremony. The license contains a place for two witnesses if you prefer. You may NOT have more than two witnesses sign the official marriage license. Licenses received with more than two witnesses signatures will be returned to the officiant and a duplicate marriage license will need to be purchased.

There is no age requirement in California for witnesses, however, they must be old enough to know that they are witnessing a marriage ceremony, AND be able to sign their name on the official marriage license.

It's all here:

http://www.dhs.ca.gov/hisp/chs/OVR/Marriage/MarriageType.htm

(I think Phoenix may have already linked to that one...)
0 Replies

nappy

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 07:19 pm
oh alright thanks sozobe,

I extracted this from the dhs website:

"The marriage license may be obtained from any county in California. You are not required to get married in the county where you purchase the public marriage license; however, you must be married in California. You must file the license in the county where it was purchased."

It says that I must be married in California. So the fastest, most effortless way to do this is to go for a civil ceremony?

thx!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 07:27 pm
I'd say so! Civil ceremony with license + at least one witness and in CA and looks like you're legal. Then you can do the fancy stuff whenever you want.
0 Replies

parallllel

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 05:21 am
If you're in Los Angeles, there are plenty of notary publics that will take care of the license and ceremony for you. Lots of them have big signs advertising quick and legal marriages. Some can take care of it the same day while the rest can do everything the day after. It will cost you more; the one my husband and I had came to about $200. But we didn't have to wait for a later date, travel for the license, or look for a clergyman. We just came in one day, filled out paperwork, and were married the next. Ask about the witness thing though because they wanted us to have two per person for the certificate.
0 Replies