I know there's a word for this.

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 11:50 am
I was looking through the threads this morning and came across the one about sexy A2Kers.

And I was thinking about someone on here who I think is quite "sexy".

In trying to define why, the word "considerate" came to mind.

I don't mean considerate as in empathic, or mannerly, but as someone who really seems to have considered his life and choices; someone who seems to have lived thier life consciously; someone who has considered opinions other than their own.

Is "considerate" the right word or is there a better word to describe such a person?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,863 • Replies: 23
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 11:55 am
In English, a 'considerate' person is a person who considers (ie thinks about) the feelings and wishes of other people.

The word 'considerate' does not mean that the person has considered their life or the universe or anything. Maybe 'thoughtful'?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 12:01 pm
Hi contrex, welcome to A2K! Thank you for your response.

It seems to me that "thoughful" has the same connotation as "considerate", as in someone who thinks of others.

Hmmm......
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 01:25 pm
Considered?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 01:26 pm
considered [con'sid·ered || -dəd]

adj. measured, reasonable; thought over carefully

It is ok in English to call describe someone as a considered person. Not that common any more, that's all. I use it.

Does it fit?
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 01:44 pm
Maybe perceptive
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 01:49 pm
Considered works, I suppose, dlowan. I hadn't thought of it as an adjective but obviously it can be.

I'm still not sure if it conveys the meaning I'm looking for and I wonder if their might be something else.

"A considered person" sounds, to me, like someone who might be cautious.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 01:50 pm
discerning, conscious, receptive?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 01:52 pm
Someone observed, "The unexamined life is not worth living."

My associative mind also comes up with "a person of gravity".

How about "a measured and deliberate mind".

Note, Apollo and Intellectual Detachment are out. This is the Reign of Dionysus.
0 Replies

markr

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 02:01 pm
omnispective? (not in a god-like way, but both introspective and extrospective)
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 02:01 pm
Centered, contemplative, reflective, assiduous, circumspect, mindful, meditative?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 02:02 pm
How about a considered, discerning, well-rounded individual?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 05:37 am
dagmaraka wrote:
How about a considered, discerning, well-rounded individual?

A 'considered' individual is not good English. Try 'considerate' if you like. Considerate means 'kind'.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 09:09 am
What a list of great words!

You know, "kind" may be the best one. The others have such and inward feel and I was trying to get at the outward expression on this inward content.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 02:44 pm
The expression "a considered individual" is correct, although "considered" used in that way is a bit dated. Personally, I think the old-fashioned flavor of the dated usage contributes to the desired meaning.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 07:24 am
Noddy24 wrote:
The expression "a considered individual" is correct, although "considered" used in that way is a bit dated. Personally, I think the old-fashioned flavor of the dated usage contributes to the desired meaning.

Yes the phrase "a considered individual" does exist, but it does not mean a kind or thoughtful person, as you seem to think. It means an admired person.

The meaning (2) below illustrates what i mean.

con·sid·ered
adj.
1. Reached after or carried out with careful thought
deliberate: my considered opinion; a considered policy involving a measured response to provocations.

2. Highly regarded; esteemed.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 11:15 am
contrex--

Quote:
Yes the phrase "a considered individual" does exist, but it does not mean a kind or thoughtful person, as you seem to think. It means an admired person.

Perhaps I expressed myself poorly, but I never meant to equate a "considered individual" with "a kind and thoughtful person"

As I recall my Dickens and Thackery a "considered" individual would be one who deliberates.

Thanks for your comments.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 12:31 pm
Noddy24 wrote:

As I recall my Dickens and Thackery a "considered" individual would be one who deliberates.

Well, I have been a native UK English speaker for 52 years, and a teacher of English for 28 years. I have taught courses on Dickens. I have never heard of this usage.

Give me a quotation if you can.

By the way it's Thackeray with an 'a'.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 01:48 pm
Sorry, Contrex. I have an impression, but no specific citations.

Thanks for the spelling correction.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2005 02:29 pm
Introspective seems to fit what you have in mind, Boomer. (Then again, maybe not, considering the other options.)
0 Replies