Sex and the military in Iraq

au1929

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 08:19 am
Considerring today's society and moral climate do you find this in any way surprising.

Out of control at
Camp Crazy!

Female soldiers dress down & get dirty for mud romps

By BRIAN KATES
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

In front of a cheering male audience, two young women wearing only bras and panties throw themselves into a mud-filled plastic kiddie pool and roll around in a wild wrestling match.

At one point a man in the audience raises a water bottle and douses the entwined pair.

At another, a "referee" moves in to break up the scantily clad grapplers.

A young blond lifts her T-shirt to expose her breasts. A brunette turns her back to the camera and exposes her thong undies.

These scenes, taken from 30 photos leaked to the Daily News, could have been snapped at an out-of-control frat party.

But this happened a world away from any American college.

The photos were taken in Camp Bucca, the military prison at Umm Qasr in the hot sands of southern Iraq near the Kuwaiti border.

The women are not coeds but military policewomen who had left their uniforms in a pile not far off.

The men are soldiers, too. Most of them wore T-shirts emblazoned with Army logos, but at least one was still wearing his uniform.

Some were sergeants, including the referee, and some allegedly were drunk.

The photos were taken last Oct. 30, in the same period when enemy detainees were being transferred to Camp Bucca from Abu Ghraib, the prison made notorious by photos of Americans torturing naked Iraqis.

The Camp Bucca pictures document no such abuses.

But they do show what experts called a disconcerting lapse in discipline at a time when Army brass was touting the camp as a model of reform.

"It was basically a goodbye party for those of us who were leaving and a welcome party for those coming in," the alleged referee, Sgt. Emil Ganim of the 160th Military Police Battalion, told The News. "It was a chance for people to blow off some steam before coming home after spending a year in a combat zone."

But one participant described less-benign behavior.

Two sergeants, she said, told her "they had been lending out their room for soldiers to have sex" - a serious infraction of military regulations.

One female soldier, a prison guard with the 160th Military Police Battalion, was photographed baring her breast and showing off her thong panties.

The picture apparently was taken in the room of one of those sergeants, an investigator reported.

The witness told investigators that two high-ranking noncommissioned officers, a first sergeant and a master sergeant, were present. She "noted that these NCOs had been drinking and were noticeably drunk," the report said.

Ganim said American civilians at the camp also participated in the party, and "if anybody had liquor, it was them."

Ganim has since returned to his civilian job as a deputy sheriff in Leon County, Fla.

"It appears that this event was allegedly coordinated by NCOs [sergeants] of the 160th," according to the initial investigation.

One of the soldiers told investigators the mud-wrestling match was underway when she arrived.

"She took off her uniform and joined the other female soldiers that were wrestling," the report says. But "once soldiers started asking for the females to expose themselves [she and two of the other wrestlers] put their uniforms back on and left the area."

But at least one woman was not deterred.

Deanna Allen, a 19-year-old prison guard with the 105th MP Battalion, smiled and lifted her T-shirt. Photos show a man standing close to her and leering at her breasts while another G.I. snaps pictures.

"From what I understand they dared her to do it," said Allen's grandmother, Luci Tomlin, in Black Mountain, N.C. "It was a loose moment. She is a strong-headed young lady. Sometimes she can be a little irrational."

Allen, who is still stationed in Iraq, did not respond to E-mailed questions from The News. She was demoted in rank to private first class.

"A sex party with alcohol that is prohibited would suggest a serious breakdown of military discipline," said Washington-based lawyer Eugene Fidell, a military-justice expert. "Just how it would be handled would be determined by the commander, who has very broad discretion in situations like this.

Fidell said punishments could range from "a good chewing out to loss of rank" for enlisted personnel and "a letter or career-killing transfer" for officers who allowed it to happen.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,493 • Replies: 13
No top replies

gozmo

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 04:53 pm
No
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 06:29 pm
<shrugs>
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 06:47 pm
Hey, after what these people have gone through, indulging in some adolescent hi-jinks won't compromise national security. Don't the reporters have anything better to write about?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 06:59 pm
I'm not convinced untill I see some photos.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 08:17 pm
I'm with Phoenix on this. This is fairly typical adolescent behavior. We forget that our soldiers, male and female, are very young people. They're just doing the same things they would do on Spring break from college. In my day the Army wasn't "co-ed." But, other than that, we behaved pretty much like what that article describes -- lots of beer and booze parties and silly behavior. Any commanding officer who didn't tolerate this kind of stuff during off-hours didn't get any respect from his subordinates either. It's all well and good to go by the book, but people under stress need to blow off steam from time to time.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 08:37 pm
Well I suppose this is preferable to torturing prisoners for entertainment ....
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 08:41 pm
Indubitably
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 10:10 am
Wait, I'm supposed to be worried that this has happened?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 10:30 am
The papers had the photos. I am not surprised at it happening but continue to wonder how the papers gets the photos. Why would anyone involved take them much less make them available?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 11:56 am
Young people, far from home, in a country where people are shooting at them and where there are limited recreational possibilities....

What goes on among consenting adults is not my business.

I wonder if the women involved were not American G.I.'s whether the shock factor would be as great?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2005 08:40 pm
If it was coerced, oh yeah, definitely.

If it were voluntary wild and crazy Iraqi women, it would certainly get more play here, and suggestions would be made.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 03:24 pm
I normally wouldn't care....but I do differentiate between military camps and, say, Woodstock or Daytona Beach.
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 12:05 am
This is merely a good time in the military in a different era and different circumstances and scenery.

No CO would condone this sort of thing wholesale as it appears here but I know it goes on all the time to a lesser extent.

I have had heard different stories from different scources about beer being allowed. I cannot imagine combat units being left in a situation for very long without access to a beer now and then regardless of moslem rituals, offending etc. etc.

In the old days our companies had lots of beer at our partys but no women! I wish we had women then as the guys do today. We would have done more than "mud wrestle!" It would have been a lot more fun for everyone! Uh huh, one of the unwritten, expected functions of military women always come into play you see. Why else would we have them? Really?

I myself have been a little concerned over the past 10-20 years over the general lack of favor Commands have demonstrated towards service clubs. In my time they were estremely popular and some of the ones overseas stayed open 24 hours a day. Plentiful supply of women and beer always on hand.

I believe an unheralded consequence of the way we prosecuted young druggies in the early seventies resulted in a backlash against normal soldiers that simply enjoyed good times at the clubs with the girls and beer, slot machines etc.

The backlash was initiated by very junior officers in the same age group as the druggies. These junior officers soon became field grades then generals. Most generals today came in around the early seventies believe it or not. They still have yet to see a real war like Viet Nam or Korea.

So then there was the drive on against drinking. I think it was a good idea but it was way to over done. Many clubs on bases are now closed on the weekends of all times!

No, I enjoy seeing some good old fashioned debauchery amongst our young men and women in the field. It is great, it is historical; The Warriors and their Women. Twisted Evil
0 Replies