Auschwitz: Sixty Years on, or Six Millennia?

Reply Sat 5 Feb, 2005 06:07 pm
For politics, ideology or riches, whole populations have been Auschwitzed and Kosovoed and Baghdaded into oblivion.

Genghis Khan, Tamerlane, Ivan The Terrible. Idi Amin, Apartheid … Stalin's Kulaks and his Gulag empire; Christians-versus-lion in the Coliseum … the Spanish Inquisition … the Slave Trade to Europe and the Americas … the Crusades … the Rape of the Sabines ... King David's ethnic cleansing of the Philistines.

But hang on a minute; did we not see some pretty high-cultured People pressing-the-flesh there among the acknowledged monsters? The Land of the Two Rivers is our The Cradle of Civilisation, the Rosetta Stone hails from that district; Greece gave us Democracy and the Hippocratic Oath; Rome gave us the bases of language and law and a majority religion; Indians and Africans paid for Big Ben, and Wall Street gave us Jesus Saves (At The Bank of America) bumper-stickers. Not one of the colonisers were very kind to their subjects … the Conquistadores were Pinnacles of Their Most Catholic Majesties' Society, the Wild West Indian Fighters and their smallpox-blankets were devout and patriotic God-botherers...

A merciful God who loves us, the priests, the imams, the politicians thunder - but only if we kow-tow to their particular brand of belief because all non-believers are excluded from heaven...

About the only cultures where I have seen a semblance of brotherly love are matrilineal - that is, land- and title-rights pass from mother to daughter. Patrilineal blue-stockings may sneer about moral looseness and wrong-side-of-the-blanket, but I felt a palpable aura of familial peace in their homes; your respected Daddy is the guy who pays your mama's bills - in maternal cultures and times they just don't give a damn! They weren't backwards in defending themselves physically or verbally (Malinowski's Trobrianders' immediate neighbours included the head-hunters of Goodenough Island), but most trouble was soothed and negotiated; the male killer-instinct sexually quenched.

I did not see feminism there, I saw family; even in "closed" societies the stresses of "liberation" were abhorred. Deep in the heart of all societies there is familiar love, but in matrilineal cultures it is right there shining from all doors and widows. Matriarchal smiles have always calmed me: you will always find them in a large family. At root, I think that nearly all of us actually feel comfortable under our matrilineal thumb.

There is good evidence that some six thousand years ago the dry waste stretching from Morocco to Suez and up into northern China was a Garden of Eden. Death, Taxes and Climate Change are the three nemeses: the lush cedar forests of Lebanon and Israel were clear-felled in Roman times, to leave today's dust.

James deMeo1 makes a lot of sense. He argues that there was a strong matrilineal culture throughout this supra-continental Garden of Eden. DeMeo contends that as the good times dried up about 4000BCE the vast population was forced to rely on its defensive and aggressive instincts. In the play-for-keeps fight for survival the new warrior culture swamped the women-folk, and only the toughest survived.

Something really nasty happened during that chaos, something so catastrophic that someone started mutilating sex-organs. There is no real evidence, but a right-of-passage test became a mandatory pain-and-blood ritual... Parts of this new culture invented this brutal surgery and people on both sides of the Atlantic espouse it today; deMeo says that the brutality was to suppress any sense of joie-de-vivre, to kill the sexual impulse, to remote-control society, to make sure the young people of today have it hard and pass it on in the same hateful way. It's the basic cause of men panting in smelly, sleazy booths in small, hidden shops; of masters fingering servants.

In the 1970s a Professor at an important Middle-Eastern University compared place-names in a recent Gazetteer of Saudi Arabia, with those of the Bible. There was nothing to indicate if this man was Jew or Arab, Christian or Muslim but he claimed fluency in the necessary languages and argued very effectively that Genesis and much of the early parts of the Bible happened down south-east of Jeddah and Mecca, inland and toward Yemen.

• Beware this whole new compartment within thy Box, Ms Pandora!!

Other and totally isolated cultures followed blood-rituals too: a front tooth knocked out, all sorts of Social Security insignia etched, scratched, burned, branded, coloured and otherwise, excruciatingly deep into prominent parts of one's hide: Ms. Madonna is reputed to use a cigarette, certain ladies and gents decorated their wedding-tackle with subcutaneous precious stones. At Pontianak Airport in West Borneo was a gorgeous Iban lady with five ounces of pure gold hanging from each ear-lobe. She served coffee with such perfection of grace that her dowry remained mostly vertical, resting gently below her collar-bones. The Iban and the Maori still tattoo by hand. Maybe our willingness to cause pain to others is just part of our brutal nature?

Saharasia is still a rich and fat region - in parts. Early travellers2 described paradise on earth in hidden pockets behind horrific ramparts - masquerading in through and out of Jeddah, Mecca, Kabul and Khartoum, spying out the wealth of the east. Then someone invented the automobile and they found the real curses and blessings that are Black Gold.

But the fact remains that the roots of a large majority of this planet's population are back in Saharasia: China in the upper right with Japan reengineering it all; India in the next quadrant with her 750 languages and Macedonian pollination; the Middle East of course, and Deepest Africa. Powerful Greek brains remanufactured the same Fabian Sexistry and exported both it and the terrifying concept of total war to Rome; from whence it infected the whole of Europe and eventually the entire US Military-Industrial complex. US military females can fight - their first lesson is to avoid their Sergeant's suggestive gropings.

These roots are cold, feelingless; manipulatively anti-sexual and anti-wimmin; brutal from micro to macro. In too many parts of the world the warrior guards his breeding-stock and his crop of warriors and mothers-of-warriors; sometimes with a borderline-psychopathic brutality and usually with the full support from his local philosophers and politicians.

The Brit poet Shelley told of a long-toppled, gigantic statue of a man somewhere in the dusty deserts around our Cradle of Civilisation. Written large on the base was this back-handed epitaph:

Quote:
I am Ozymandais, King of Kings …
Look upon me ye mighty and tremble!

These are the roots of Auschwitz; and Tolstoy's Rule3 says that some time soon the vine will set its putrid fruit again. Maybe it's setting it already; somewhere and right now.

Very few matrilineal societies squandered their resources on useless piles of rock; only men erected stone penises.

+ + +

1: http://www.orgonelab.org/saharasia.htm
2: Sir Richard Burton (1850s), The Devil Drives.
3: Those who fail to heed the lessons of history will be forced to repeat that bitter learning.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 793 • Replies: 8
No top replies

thorman944

Reply Sun 6 Feb, 2005 12:00 am
i forget the scientest's name, but there was a guy in the early 20th century who's work relating to birds (of all creatures), then later extrapolated by others to include most all animals, showed that it isn't the sex drive that causes men to fight. we fight over territory first and foremost - the females follow.

also of note. what percentage of women would be willing to risk their family to fight for an ideal? what percentage of men?? would have rev. dr. king have been as outspoken and effective if his primary concern was the safety of his family and not the safety of his larger family and generations to come??

yeah, matrilinial societies might not fight, but some things would get overlooked that are worth fighting for.

- justa thought - t

ps. women may be able to serve in the armed forces, but there aren't any women in USMC S.O.I. (school of infantry). or the army's 82 or 101st airbourne. or any branch's sniper or ranger school. when you want the nasty done, you definately don't call on a platoon of women to do the job. i'm not trying to be chauvanistic (sp??), just pointing out a fact. you can train a woman physically and mentally to fight, but put an average woman and an average man thru the same training and the man will kick her butt. it's not fair nor is it p.c. to state this, it's just the truth.
0 Replies

Allsixkindsamusic

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 05:49 pm
Willingness To Engage In Pre-Meditated Combat
I think if you imagine the ancient Taoist divided circle as two interlocked halves, you can consider nearly all reproductive animals to be like Epoxy Glue. Part A and Part B are fairly useless individually; so are the separated blades of a scissors. With totally-dependent offspring being so hefty, and the daily grind demanding speed and daring of the hunters, you have the beginnings of a division of labour.

Men can metabolise booze better than wimmin; wimmin have wonderful memories of family and history (we remember only footy scores); men are physically stronger and quicker; only wimmin have the anatomy to care directly for our progeny.

As Abu Graib shows, not only men have an intelligently vicious streak; it may have started as herd instinct … but it went on!

Many women have fought as men and have been honoured including the Nancy Hearts of the American Civil War; but is this not the first period in history in which wimmin have fought as part of a Standing Army? Keegan [A History of Warfare, 1996] makes little mention.

But this is all big-picture stuff. It's only recently we've come to acknowledge if not accept bi-ism or even full gayness, even in society at large. Queen Victoria ruled out femo-phobia but left in the homo-phobic bits; George wants to Amend the Constitution…

Just as surely as there are genuinely bi-lingual and bi-sexual people, there are genuine knife-fighting wimmin and there are non-fighting men - Forces Medics are part-time musicians.

Entrenched ignorance is having a hard time coming to terms with all this bi-ism and it'll take half a generation of NCOs to eradicate it at the sweaty level; longer upstairs unless The Boss pushes it really hard. General Cosgrove keeps firmly to his public line that there will be no harassment or discrimination in the Australian Army (he's now Chief of the Armed Forces); my son is gay and wants to join-up!

Wasn't G I Jane made with Navy assistance? Do the Marines still have that mud-pit you see in the movies? May the best keep going until s/he falls so cold and dead from that tree!

I was a cop who returned fire in self-defence in the course of duty: we nearly always brought them in unharmed but I couldn't relate well to the idea of someone wanting to puncture my hide and worse. My money's on combat-ready wimmim having more balls'n most men!

A wise man said:
Quote:
To the victor the spoils, and of course the writing of history.
0 Replies

Allsixkindsamusic

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 05:57 pm
May the best genes win!
Family Values, Decency ... No Child Shall Be ... Just Say No!.

A recent DNA survey of a small flock of songbirds showed that rarely was the male partner the bio-dad of the chicks. The BBC has footage of a hen being caught with her pants down so to speak; disgorging the adulterous remains; and standing ready for her mate.

Well, God made us that way! Didn't (I'm being very PC) They?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 07:15 pm
Most American Indian societies were matrilineal, from the Iroquois in the East to trhe Navajo in the West. Didn't stop 'em from fighting to resist the rape of their country by the white European.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 07:29 am
Re: Willingness To Engage In Pre-Meditated Combat
Allsixkindsamusic wrote:
Many women have fought as men and have been honoured including the Nancy Hearts of the American Civil War; but is this not the first period in history in which wimmin have fought as part of a Standing Army? Keegan [A History of Warfare, 1996] makes little mention.

I am not sure whether your definition of a stanfing army excludes enlisted men and volunteers in war time, but during World War II the Red Army had all-woman batallions that did do front line duty. There were also women tank soldiers who took part in the battle of Kursk and I have read that the women Soviet fighter pilots were more feared by the Luftwaffe than their male counterparts.
0 Replies

Allsixkindsamusic

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 04:40 pm
Wimmin Can Fight!
I wasn't being specific to US or even Western armies; some of Mao's best were all-wimmin units. Women-fighting-as-men has gone on for donkey's years, but women-fighting-alongside-men started to become common only last century.

And an honourable mention to all the non-combatants: medics, cooks, mechanics...

A standing army is an organised body of full-time soldiers fed equipped paid and trained by one organisation: the various Greek armies were terrifyingly fierce, but they were citizen-soldiers in a warrior-society who had trained since they were just out of nappies.

A standing army is a big and dangerous investment: you must keep them entertained with new toys or new enemies, and they don't like downsizing.

US troops scattered around the world are superbly equipped for a conventional war and love to show how good they can be, vide "Top Gun" et al. Note: conventional war. We haven't had one of them since, oooh, "The Hunt for Red October". Rolling Eyes

Maybe we should re-stage the Cold War: that'd certainly keep their minds off non-conventional warfare...

Quote:
How are you gonna get 'em
Down to the Depot,
After they've seen ...
Iraq (on CNN)?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 08:01 pm
That was Robert Ardry's 'Territorial Imperative', Thorman. His later 'Social Contract', tended to mitigate the message.
0 Replies

Allsixkindsamusic

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 07:34 am
Nah ... just experience. Man is ever ready to screw someone else, especially if he can get away with it scot-free.

Not just Poms and Krauts, either, or Frogs (same story): for instance in 1974-75 OPEC sussed the Petroleum Imperative implicit in The Eisenhower Doctrine, and stopped it in its tank-tracks real fast.

Experience is not what happens to you: it's the lessons you learn from those happenings...

Is it any wonder the "Arab World" is suspcious; that Arabic-script I Am Not American were so popular on t-shirts over there?
0 Replies