sleep deprivation

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 12:24 am
I think it is absolutely paradoxical. At school, teachers say if we sleep more than 5 hours, we won't do well on school work. it confused me. How much is enough? How well am I sleeping?
I sometimes felt sleepy during very important test. I knew I should not have been sleepy and should have concentrated on what I was doing, but it was not that easy. My mom just scolded me it's all because my spiritual strength was too weak or I was out of my mind. Actually, No one can be sleepy, knowingly. but after I looked into "Sleep-deprived", I diagnosed myself i'm having trouble with sleep.
According to an FDA article, it is normal to feel tired every now and then during the day but it is not normal for fatigue to interfere with routine activities. For example, you shouldn't be dozing off while reading the newspaper, during business meetings and so on.
I think the reasons for my sleepiness are various. The times I sleep everyday are irregular and I often eat less than 2 hours before I go to bed. Sleep deprivation includes symptoms of insomnia, sleepiness during the day and snoring.
Insomnia is considered chronic when it lasts most nights for a few weeks or more. This longer-term condition deserves professional insomnia or not, experts suggest looking at it like a headache. Doctors say "If you goes on day after day and nothing you do makes it go away, then you should see a doctor."
Like I experience, sleepiness during the day is really irritating. Unlike insomnia, people who fall asleep in less than five minutes may have a serious sleeping disorder called narcolepsy. from now on, I'll try and make better sleep habits.
Here are some tips:
Keep a regular sleep-wake cycle. Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time everyday.
Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine in the four to six hours before bedtime.
Don't exercise within 2 hours of bedtime. Exercising five or six hours before bedtime may help you sleep more soundly.
Don't eat large meals within tow hours of bedtime.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,033 • Replies: 18
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 12:41 am
Welcome, Jiwon Yang! Lovely to see someone from South Korea here. I hope your ideas help you to sleep.

Are you at school? I wonder if stress explains some of your fatigue.

It would be great to hear anything you would like to tell us about your life in Korea.

I am from Australia - so we are not THAT far away from each other.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 01:16 am
I've had a few problems with sleep at various times. One good method I've found is a hot bath about an hour before bedtime. And don't forget chamomile tea. That actually does work.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 01:32 am
Five hours does not seem like enough sleep for most people. Is it possible your teacher has been (gasp!) misinformed.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 02:36 am
Sleeping requirement varies from person to person; by all means, majority of people need at least 6 hours of sleeping a day. But there are some people that feel quite OK after having slept for only 2-4 hours. The opposite things occur as well, and they are not so infrequent either.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 04:15 am
Welcome to A2K Jiwon Yang :-)

As Steissd said, everyone is different and require different amounts of sleep. When I was younger I did better with 4 or 5 hours sleep, but as I get older, I find that I need atleast 6 hours sleep. Your teacher I believe is wrong in this instance as everyone has different sleep requirements. I usually sleep fairly well, but if I have to get up at a certain time, I have trouble sleeping for some reason. Also, sometimes I sleep at night and sometimes I sleep during the day. I keep very strange hours, but I am a night owl for the most part and have been since I was a baby. I always wondered if it had anything to do with the fact that I was born in the middle of the night.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 10:20 am
Teenagers need about 10 hours/night sleep. Razz
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 04:26 pm
JiwonYang, WELCOME to A2K. Glad to have a member from South Korea. As for sleep disorders, I think you have found the correct solution; go to bed every night at the same time, and try to get at least six hours of sleep. Some people need more, and some less. You just need to find out for yourself what amount of sleep is required for your biology. As for excercise, the best time is in the morning. Refraining from eating or drinking caffinated beverage late at night will also be helpful. Some people cannot sleep if they drink coffee or tea during the day. I can drink coffee before I go to bed, and have no problem with sleeping. Everybody has a different body clock and physiology. c.i.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 04:32 pm
I believe Napoleon Bonaparte said that 'men need 6 hours of sleep, women need 7, and only idiots need 8 or more.

Supposedly Thomas Edison only slept 30 minutes a day.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 04:33 pm
It is my belief that, since we sleep approximately 1/3rd of our lifetimes, that for every EXTRA hour you stay in bed asleep, you are ADDING two hours onto your lifespan!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 04:42 pm
Equus, Where did you learn that? For every extra hour of sleep, we add two hours to our lifespan? What ever happened to good lifestyle such as good diet, no smoking, less red meats, etc., etc., etc.? You wanna buy a bridge in San Francisco? I can get it for you real cheap! LOL c.i.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 06:51 pm
According to Discovery Channel apples are more effective than caffeine at keeping people awake in the morning. They're usually right.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 09:33 pm
An apple a day ey Wilso ;-) Makes sense to me.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 10:02 pm
5 hours a day would absolutely kill me. Harvard just made a study (I believe you can get a link from their home page: www.harvard.edu) about sleeping on women and they found out that optimum is 8 hours a night. Sleeping less AS WELL as sleeping more increase the risk of heart disease.... so much for the increase in lifespan theory. how on earth did they come up with the results i do not know. but i do know 8 hours works for me.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 10:04 pm
... tbat is the study subjects were women, of course. the study was not about sleeping on women, although who knows, perhaps somebody has researched that as well...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 10:24 pm
Study on learning skills while sleeping

Too much, too little sleep pose health risk in women
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 12:31 am
A reassuring hypothesis, Equus. That's the one I'm going with.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 07:49 pm
Harvard's sleep research is carried out at the BWH in Boston.
Volunteers get $$.
0 Replies

JiwonYang

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 04:29 pm
Thanks for all the comments. First of all, i think i need to release my stress and try to sleep regularly. Smile
and life here is great, mr. rabiit. politics esp between n.korea is not favorable and we call it "Crisis" but i'm certain that it will work out well with new government.
0 Replies